All warrior and Paly groups?
Quark,Nov 25 2005, 12:54 AM Wrote:It typically becomes a big deal when the Executes start - that's a lot of hate coming through pure damage.  It's why I've advocated giving all DPS Warriors salvation, save a possible one or two as backups.
[right][snapback]95760[/snapback][/right]

Speaking as a warrior who plays a dps role often in MC/BWL I'd have to agree here. If you are not actively tanking or expected to tank in the near future get salvation.

It is very true that you have no way to shed aggro. The best you can do is stop attacking and run to the MT position and expect to die. Even this is usually not a good option. Bad timing can lead to decimated raids when mobs turn; still it behooves the dps warrior to understand how the mob is being tanked so that they can act quickly in the case that they do pull aggro.

If you are a warrior in a dps role where pulling aggro is bad (basically any large raid situation) there are a few things to keep in mind:

1) Get salvation if you can. This will certainly help and you can always click it off if you really need to step in and try to tank.

2) Don't rely on salvation to do the work for you. Remember that Heroic Strike adds extra aggro and understand how your dps compares to you tank's ability to hold aggro. Be careful about when you use skills like Death Wish. Understand that there are times where you might be best served to just plain stop attacking. Think of yourself partly like a rogue in that you should make some effort to watch your own health and not expect heals. Depending on the situation heals may have to be primarily directed toward main tanks.

3) Know how a mob is being tanked. Be sure to move to the MT position as quickly as possible if you do pull aggro. This is true for all dps classes when they can't shed aggro really.

3) In conjunction with 4), try to have some mod that lets you know when you do grab aggro so you can react quickly. I personally just use MultiAssist which is a simple target of target mod. If I see myself being targetted that is bad (when I'm not tanking).

Off of this diversion and back to the original question; I've run with some smaller groups that included 2 or 3 warriors. You end up doing CC through tanking but in many cases it is doable. Damage will occasionally be spread out more (with more mobs in play) so healers might have to work harder. Keep in mind though that certain mobs are easier to kill with magical damage (and a select few, occultists in Scholo come to mind, can ONLY be killed with some magic); for this reason I'd usually prefer a more balanced party and also hesitate to make a blanket statement that warrior heavy groups can move faster.

Also keep in mind that warriors tend to be more gear dependent than other classes. I think the results of runs like this can vary highly based on the skill/gear of your group but it can certainly work well in the right circumstances.
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)

Messages In This Thread
All warrior and Paly groups? - by Guest - 11-24-2005, 01:09 PM
All warrior and Paly groups? - by Kevin - 11-24-2005, 05:47 PM
All warrior and Paly groups? - by Dozer - 11-25-2005, 01:52 AM
All warrior and Paly groups? - by Guest - 11-25-2005, 04:34 AM
All warrior and Paly groups? - by Kevin - 11-25-2005, 05:26 AM
All warrior and Paly groups? - by Quark - 11-25-2005, 05:54 AM
All warrior and Paly groups? - by mjdoom - 11-25-2005, 06:20 AM
All warrior and Paly groups? - by Guest - 11-25-2005, 03:19 PM
All warrior and Paly groups? - by Rinnhart - 11-26-2005, 06:42 AM
All warrior and Paly groups? - by JustAGuy - 11-30-2005, 03:22 PM
All warrior and Paly groups? - by Tal - 11-30-2005, 03:36 PM