PvE vs RP and some musings.
So y'all probably know my prurple priest on Stormrage from my posts if you don't know her in game. I haven't played her as much recently, mainly because I've hopped over to an RP server (Feathermoon) with my RL friends, and have been busy levelling an undead mage. The differences between the two servers/two factions are night and day. That being said, I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts on the subject.

RP has, over Yva's 44 levels, proven to be a much more enjoyable crowd (crowd as in general population, not as in friends). I don't have to turn off general chat because, for the most part, general chat is quiet. This is really really REALLY nice, folks. None of the OMG I PWN U, LOLLOL 11111!!!111111!!!! stuff that drives me mental in Ironforge on SR. There is very little ignorant shouting, very little slandering "_______ is a NINJA", and very little spamming in trade channels.

It's blissfully quiet.

I've given it some thought as to why that might be the case. The RP angle of it is probably the most prominent reason. People are taking their 'characters' much more seriously and - at least on Feathermoon - would be chided for their blatant disregard of their peers' roleplaying. Not to say that everyone is always "Thou art" and "M'lady" all the time; they're not, but they're quieter and more reserved because there's a social expectation upon them. You don't get that on PvE.

I hate to say it, but the RP police over there make solo play incredibly fun. No dumba$$es for the win.

It also may be because I'm playing horde. We've all read the posts on the forums about how horde HAD to get better because of the serious balance issues (numbers-wise) on most servers, and I'm starting to believe them. I've yet to group with someone that has made me want to bash my head off of my screen. Sure, there's the exception to every rule, but I haven't met one yet, and figure that I'm 3/4 of my way through levelling. That's a long time to not have any gripes. Especially with someone as opinionated as me.

From what I've been told, statistically, rp servers attract an older crowd. A lot of the players get home from their day jobs, power level a few hours a night, and then log off. That being said, they have less time to accomplish more, and as such, take their playtime more seriously, and expect a certain level of skill from their peers.

My overall impressions? People are polite, people are generous (I got into a phenomenal guild), and they seem genuinely respectful of the others around them. I'm not proclaiming Feathermoon as the end all and be all - there are still ninja looters, there are still people who will screw others over - I'm just saying that I'm seeing it exponentially LESS than I was on Stormrage. Do I realize there are less players horde side than alliance side so yeah, there would OBVIOUSLY be less jerks? Yes. But I'm telling you, ratio-wise, that stuff just doesn't happen as much.

So there you go. Those are my thoughts. I like the rp server better. Is it because I'm horde on FM? Maybe. Is it because I've gone rp? . . . I think that's the more likely answer. Maybe I just got lucky and got involved on THAT good of a situation, I don't know.

So what does this rant really boil down to?

Sometimes, it's hard to actually come to Stormrage knowing what I'm in for. The thing that keeps me there is the people I've come to know. Lurkers, Carpe Aurum, and friends are spectacular, and have made it so that I can't let Griz go. Do I see her getting put on the back burner at some point? Honestly, yes. The quality of my play time is greater over on Feathermoon because the general population is so much more tolerable. But the friends I've made have assured that the purple priest will never be permanently put away, even if she's a little dusty from time to time.

Just some thoughts I wanted to share. Not sure what anyone can do with them or if you even care, but there you go.

Messages In This Thread
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by Hillary - 06-23-2005, 07:58 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by Garrin - 06-23-2005, 09:30 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by Drasca - 06-24-2005, 05:18 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by nobbie - 06-24-2005, 06:30 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by JustAGuy - 06-27-2005, 02:19 AM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by Metrocube - 06-30-2005, 05:22 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by kershner - 06-30-2005, 06:52 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by Darian - 06-30-2005, 08:04 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by vor_lord - 06-30-2005, 09:40 PM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by Thawwing Light - 07-01-2005, 06:22 AM
PvE vs RP and some musings. - by oldmandennis - 07-01-2005, 12:04 PM