Essay Idea Post.
Greetings all.

One of my research papers this term involves the European Union. Being geopolitically-minded, I figured I'd write it on security issues; I was also interested because it is generally understood that the EU/EC has had a history of just "declaring" their common defense or outsourcing it to third-party international organizations such as the WEU or NATO. But recent years have shown a significant development of EU security structure--namely, the Rapid Reaction Force under EU control and not necessarily a part of, or dependent on, NATO.

I'm thinking of writing about the quest for European autonomy from the US on strategic defense. As far as I understand it, the issue is defined by several characteristics:

1) US dominance of NATO as a result of the US military advantage in technology, experience, logistics, and funding,

2) EU desire to implement their own strategic plans and the implied need, to use NATO assets as component to their non-NATO, EU OPS,

3) Europe has been given large-scale security for "pennies on the dollar" (i.e. at a great savings) by US force overrepresentation in NATO,

4) the US desire, or need, for Europe to shoulder more of the burden of its security, evinced by

5) Europe's apparent unwillingness (apart from Turkey, Greece, the UK and maybe France) to spend the money necessary to achieve this. (I can't stress this enough; no matter what the outcome, Europe will have to spend more money on defense and it doesn't seem willing to do so.)

So, where do you all come in?

I'd like those interested to assemble these parameters into an understanding of the situation and/or prediction of the future arrangement in Europe or between Europe and the US. Now, don't think I'm being lazy, because I have already got a pretty good idea on my own paper topic (which I will post below.) But, I am hoping to take advantage of this forum's international membership to supply perspectives from the other side of the Atlantic. Or Pacific, if you happen to float that way. (American lurkers are also encouraged to reply, I'll listen to anyone's point of view!)

And finally, let it be known that if this thread is an irritation to the general public it shall be nuked, or at least quietly pass from the rolls due to lack of interest.

Many thanks,
Out here,
--Ajax

Messages In This Thread
Essay Idea Post. - by Ajax - 10-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Essay Idea Post. - by Ajax - 10-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Essay Idea Post. - by kandrathe - 10-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Essay Idea Post. - by Occhidiangela - 10-25-2004, 07:55 PM
Essay Idea Post. - by Ajax - 10-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Essay Idea Post. - by kandrathe - 10-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Essay Idea Post. - by Ajax - 10-26-2004, 12:36 AM
Essay Idea Post. - by Ajax - 10-26-2004, 12:41 AM