The Best Game Ever?
Just because they broke new ground doesn't mean that they were all that great. I personally find DooM and DooM II to be boring and tedious.

DooM III, on the other hand, looks like it's gonna be a great game, though it's not going to be able to best Half-Life 2.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Oh yes, NWN is a great game although the official campaign really ISN'T one of the things which make him great.

If you wish to experience the true essence of NWN get yourself some mods.

Personally I suggest the Shadowlords series and it's sequel: the Dreamcatcher series, I remember a long time ago the creator of the above started a new sequel in his series, something with demons whom's name I can't remember, Lone Wolf it also deserved of a mention although hardly as good as the above.

As for "greatest game of all time"... well, I do not have any specific ones but ones I consider best (in their genre of course) in no specific order:

1) Baldur's Gate 1 (Not 2, IMO BG2's story did very bad to the original story)

2) Freelancer (I'm not a simulators fan but the controls of this game, multiplied by the EXCELLENT storyline is astounding)

3) Morrowind (More of a novelty in my opinion, the official storyline wasn't much and it hindered it all of it's vastness, I should probably reinstall and get some mods)

4) Neverwinter Nights (Play above mentioned unofficial campaigns to see why)

5) Diablo 1/2 (Both are excellent and I can't possibly say which one is better)

6) Starcraft (The story, it's all about the story)

7) War3 (All about the modding community)
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Walkiry,Jun 22 2004, 08:27 AM Wrote:I find the (general) lack of DOOM disturbing.
Quote:I find the (general) lack of DOOM disturbing.

Don't worry, Doom/2 is easily in my top 5 or so ;)

Along with, say... Diablo, Starcraft, American McGee's Alice... and maybe Full Throttle.

I still play Doom deathmatches at school :) 8 player Doom deathmatch is a wonderful thing to behold.
TaiDaishar,Jun 22 2004, 05:56 PM Wrote:6) Starcraft (The story, it's all about the story)
Yes!! Finally! I know there is a huge fanbase of this game, but I've yet to meet someone who loves it for the story!

So, who's sexier: Sarah Kerrigan or The Queen of blades? ;)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Regarding Cryptic's top games of the 80's:
1st: Wasteland
2nd: Ultima IV
3rd: Enchanter Trilogy

I really think that the best of the 80's was FTL's Dungeon Master.
Besides being a great game in it's own right, it was the inspiration for many of the dungeon/magic/RPG games that followed.
The game has an intelligence in design that I feel has never been matched. There is more pure wit in that game than in any ten other games that I can recall.

The sequels were unfortunately not in the same league. Chaos Strikes Back was a very thin knock-off, that they did much too quickly to have any real depth. Then Interplay picked it up, and did Dungeon Master II, which was just like all of the other DM knock-offs, only worse than many.

Dungeon Master has legs. It was reported that it took six months before anyone completed the game. Even after you finished the game, there was a lot of variation in the groups that you could assemble, to give it replayability. For increased challenge, you could use a smaller group. You would normally have a group of four characters, but some people managed to complete the game with as few as one.

hmmm, I see what's happening to me... time to slowly back - away - from - the - computer.

-rcv-
[ Wrote:Angel,Jun 22 2004, 01:06 PM] Yes!! Finally! I know there is a huge fanbase of this game, but I've yet to meet someone who loves it for the story!
Hrmm. I guess I should actually play through this game sometime to experience this 'story' you speak of...

Should be an interesting experience, since I am rather poor at RTSes. <_<
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
[ Wrote:Angel,Jun 22 2004, 09:06 PM]
TaiDaishar,Jun 22 2004, 05:56 PM Wrote:6) Starcraft (The story, it's all about the story)
Yes!! Finally! I know there is a huge fanbase of this game, but I've yet to meet someone who loves it for the story!

So, who's sexier: Sarah Kerrigan or The Queen of blades? ;)
For me, most games without a proper storyline aren't worth playing, the story can be the downfall or success of a game in my opinion.

Oh and The Queen of Blades hands down, you just can't beat spikes everywhere + stealth + one hit kills + emperor of the known universe + a dead sexy voice (more dead than sexy though) ;).
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
My top ten list is.....................

1. Morrowind: Easily the vastest most complete RPG of all time. The game is virtually limitless and you can play to your hearts content

2. Diablo 2: LoD: I played this game 2 years straight, got all classes above 90 including a MaulBarb. Great game, made great friends and sucked up all my time. Quit game because of rampant cheating

3. Baldurs Gate 1: Not as fun as above two, but truly a great D&D game. I love multiparty games and this one rules

4. Shining Force for Sega: Great multiparty game that plays a lot like chess. I love the strategy involved in the mass battles

5. Final Fantasy Tactics: Another great multiparty game that borrowed a lot from Shining Force. Anything that involves a lot of thinking and planning are great games

6. Civilization 3: Endless game play and challenge as you empire build

7. Sim City 4: Another endless game that requires intelligence and brain power. It is fun imagining yourself as a city planner dealing with all the headaches that result. A truly challenging game

8. Madden Football: Any of his sports titles brings realism and reality to one of the greatest sports of all time. Great game to play with your friends and you really feel like your in the action.

9. EA Sports Hockey: Again, one of my favorite sports title series of all times. Been buying each version since 1990. That says a lot about the quality and depth EA sports brings to their games

10. Scrabble: Both online and board form. Will play this until they dig a hole for me and dump me in. Hopefully this game prevents Alzheimer's, who knows!
Cenarius Alliance

Liscentia 80 Death Knight (450 Herbalism 425 Inscription)
Mysteryium 80 Shaman (450 Skinning 441 Leatherworking)
Tutelin 80 Priest (413 Enchanting 420 Tailoring)
Frozzen 73 Mage (Tailoring 375 Enchanting 375)
Obstinate 71 Hunter (375 Herbalism 375 Alchemy)
Squabbles 70 Warlock (Tailoring 375 Leatherworking 291)
Niniuin 70 Paladin (Herbailism 375 Alchemy 375)
Thunderous 66 Warrior (Mining 375 Tailoring 360)
Sword_of_Doom,Jun 22 2004, 08:14 PM Wrote:4.&nbsp; Shining Force for Sega:&nbsp; Great multiparty game that plays a lot like chess.&nbsp; I love the strategy involved in the mass battles
AGREED x 1,000!

Shining Force I and II were easily my favourite Genesis games, and are certainly among my all-time overall favourites.
DeeBye,Jun 22 2004, 08:07 PM Wrote:AGREED x 1,000!

Shining Force I and II were easily my favourite Genesis games, and are certainly among my all-time overall favourites.
Strategy RPGs are some of my favorite games of all time.

Shining force 1 & 2 were probably the first I was exposed to (don't remember whether I played the NES Godzilla game first or not), and they're still classics. I've never been able to find Shinging Force 3 (for the Sega CD), but SF1 was recently rereleased with some new features for the GBA, and is quite awesome.

Other SRPGs I've enjoyed:

Front Mission 1 (SNES) and 3 (PS1), truly awesome near-future realistic-anime mech titles. Just as good as the SFs, in my opinion. Front Mission 4 is apparently even more awesome, but I don't have a PS2. :angry:

Front Mission 2 (not to be confused with Front Mission Alternative) was never released outside of Japan, and I don't read kanji. <_<

Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1) - the battles are smaller than in most other SRPGs (usually only 5 characters on your side), but you can customize your characters to a mind-blowing extent. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) will work as a substitute in a pinch, but doesn't have nearly the same depth.

I stumbled across Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars (GBA) recently, and it's a pretty neat game, althouggh the setting is generic anime. Fire Emblem (GBA) just sucked me in today, it seems really polished and fun.

Plus there's La Pucelle: Tactics and Disgaea: Hour of Darkness for the PS2, they're supposed to be really good, but I've never had the chance to play them. :(
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
BG2 had a pretty good story, even if there were some (major) plot holes.

I would, however, like to know just why Khalid had to die. I LIKED that coward.

Honestly, I think ToB was a decent wrap-up to BG2. It was interesting, having people be downright afraid of fighting you (the Lich, whose name I forget, in Amkethran specifically says that he has no wish to die), and having people hate you simply because you were the child of (an evil, muderous) god. Remember having that large group of Tethyrian warriors, magi, and clerics attack you because you were a Bhaalspawn? Plus, ToB had a damn good final battle; FAR better than any final battle in other BioWare games. A far sight more difficult than Sarevok (lure Sarevok out, and pound him into submission), Irenicus (spellcaster AI has always sucked; tear down or wait out various protections, and then beat them into submission), and the other Bhaalspawn. Even Demogorgon, the Prince of Demons, was pathetically easy, even with David Gaider's patches.

I do have to gripe that NWN's Dragons and Liches were/are too weak. This could be that they have bad AI (definitely bad AI for any spellcasters, especially high-level ones - Maugrim died in two hits; Harm from Linu and then some Sonic damage from me that got through his physical protections), or that BioWare took too many of their powers away in the transition from PnP to virtual. Liches are a cakewalk; Lay on Hands can kill them outright if you are high-enough level and have a decent Charisma modifier, and they're FAR easier than they were in BG2. Dragons are pathetically weak; even Klauth, the so-called hardest boss in the OC, was easy to beat, even without tricking him into ingesting a dead dragon. At least Dragons casted rudimentary protection and buffing spells in BG2.

Grim recommended the Shadowlords and Dreamcatcher series to me, and I picked them up from NWVault (you require both the mod files and hakpaks, right?) I've also been looking into some persistent-world mods, like Nordock and Dreu Noctem, though those will probably have to wait until I complete Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
I recently started playing Final Fantasy VII. The game has 8 year old graphics (console-graphics, not like Diablo I which still holds its own) and I still manage to get into it. I can't wait to get out of Midgard and explore the world. This time I am definitely going to kill all the Weapons, and get the Knights of Round-materia! I can't wait to see Rufus blow a hole through Weapon! Too bad it's near the end of the game. Oh well, there are a lot of cinematics I'm looking forward to. Sephiroth turning away from Nibelheim and walking through the wall of flames will be immensely powerful, as it's the scene from a tv advertisement I saw 8 years ago which convinced me that this game needed to be bought.

(I'm trying to decorate my desktop with a Weapon-wallpaper, but I can't seem to find one. Deviantart has shut off the search-function for non-subscribers. Anyone feel like helping out? B) )
... But find a way to play La Pucelle and Disgaea ;)

Any fan of Strategy-RPGs will love them, and Nippon-Ichi has nice, light-hearted humor throughout both. The games don't take themselves seriously at all, which is a good thing.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Artega,Jun 23 2004, 04:55 AM Wrote:you require both the mod files and hakpaks, right?
You are correct sir, although you should pay close attention to the instructions as to where the files should go :).

Also I just checked and it seems that the creator of the aforementioned modules have not yet finished his new series (not even 1 module from it, except from a mini-game), it seems A LOT of work he's putting into that sequel with almost anything new, if I were you I would keep an eye out for it (http://adamandjamie.com/nwn/ the creator's site)
NWN is one of my favorites , though rarely played due to my D2 HCL addiction :P !

I really liked the newest Warcraft 3 (the latest add-on still in plastic - blames D2 addiction again) , but was impatient and in a rush to get back to D2 :blink:

I have Morrowind and all 3 add-ons sitting in plastic on my desk ..... I may get around to installing if I get a break from ..... :blink: .... D2 .

Some of my personal favorites have been the Might and Magic series (except the very last one) , Wizardy 7 Crusaders of the Dark Savant (the very last one dissappointed me :( ) , Total Annihilation , and for console games , my first real fav was Herzog Zwei for the Sega genesis .
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
You still play D2...?

I stopped playing SevenLances about three months ago, and LoD, at least a year ago :blink:
TaMeOlta,Jun 24 2004, 03:39 PM Wrote:I have Morrowind and all 3 add-ons sitting in plastic on my desk ..... I may get around to installing if I get a break from .....&nbsp; :blink:&nbsp; .... D2 .
3?

Tribunal and Bloodmoon. Is there a third?
As far as i know, i only have the original as well as the two add-ons. I don't believe there is a third. If there is i am buying it; i love Morrowind.
Cenarius Alliance

Liscentia 80 Death Knight (450 Herbalism 425 Inscription)
Mysteryium 80 Shaman (450 Skinning 441 Leatherworking)
Tutelin 80 Priest (413 Enchanting 420 Tailoring)
Frozzen 73 Mage (Tailoring 375 Enchanting 375)
Obstinate 71 Hunter (375 Herbalism 375 Alchemy)
Squabbles 70 Warlock (Tailoring 375 Leatherworking 291)
Niniuin 70 Paladin (Herbailism 375 Alchemy 375)
Thunderous 66 Warrior (Mining 375 Tailoring 360)
There isn't.

I could never really get into Morrowind. Then again, I tend to look at non-DnD-based CRPGs with a certain kind of disdain.
Ooops ! :P My bad , Morrowind plus two add-ons --- all three in one box ;) .

And , YES ! I still play Diablo2 LOD ! I would play Sevenlances and my unopened games as well if I could have my sleeping gland removed and possibly quit work ...... :lol:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto