Fun childhood games
Remember pretending that the floor is lava? You have to climb on top of the furniture to get to the other side of the room. If so much as a baby toe touches the lava floor, you lost. My brother and I had all kinds of fun with that game. If we got within arm's reach of each other we always tried to push each other down to the floor.

I also remember carrying a small mirror around pointed at the ceiling. I'd hold it horizontally at about waist-height and look down at it and pretend that I was walking on the ceiling. Navigating stairs was a real challenge while doing this.

FORTS! I built forts out of anything and everything. Sofa cushions and blankets were my main building materials, but anything goes. Aluminum fold-up lawn chairs and beach towels worked well for outdoor forts. In the winter it was all about snow forts and a giant armory of well-packed snowballs for snow fort defense.

Let's hear about your great childhood games.
What do you mean, childhood, I still do those things now...

There was this little stand of trees beside my house, growing up. We called it "The Forest" I would have fort building competitions with my friends. Half the fun was knocking down their fort while they were looking for more deadwood to make it out of. Or maybe we were just evil.

Mudpit/wrestlemania/swimming pool was always a fun game too. After being punted outside we'd dig a giant pit in the garden and fill it out of the hose.

One summer the field next to us was planted with wheat, instead of it's regular hay. The wheat grew about five feet high and grew close enough together you couldn't see though it. Well, we stamped down mazes and forts and paths, and Ohhh we were in SO much trouble!

In the winter we'd always get snowbanks a couple meters high along our corral, and dig tunnels into them, just little bolt holes, but they were great.

Ahh, so fun!
DeeBye,Jul 18 2005, 12:04 AM Wrote:Remember pretending that the floor is lava?  You have to climb on top of the furniture to get to the other side of the room.  If so much as a baby toe touches the lava floor, you lost.  My brother and I had all kinds of fun with that game. [right][snapback]83667[/snapback][/right]

You fool. The floor was electrified, not composed of lava. Damn people who don't know how to play the games *right*.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
umbrella house (put up loads of umbrellas and make a 'house' with them)
Turning my parents bed into a rocket ship
Mithrandir,Jul 18 2005, 06:45 AM Wrote:You fool. The floor was electrified, not composed of lava. Damn people who don't know how to play the games *right*.
[right][snapback]83669[/snapback][/right]
No no no! It was a meadow of flowers, and if you stepped on them you wrecked the whole meadow! [Image: gayfight2.gif] Don't you people know anything?

:P

As for childhood games. One involved ringing the doorbell of neighbouring houses and running away in a frantic panic that the occupants of the house would be standing right by the door ready to catch us. Roughly translated to English: "Ring and Run". I don't know if there's an idiomatically correct name for that game/prank.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
It's all fun and games until you end up burning out the center of town in horned Viking helmets and tin foil armor.

As they say, "It takes children to raze a village."

I may have gotten that a little mixed up.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Mithrandir,Jul 18 2005, 02:45 AM Wrote:You fool. The floor was electrified, not composed of lava. Damn people who don't know how to play the games *right*.
[right][snapback]83669[/snapback][/right]

It is you who is the fool! The floor was a mine field!
Tal,Jul 18 2005, 07:52 AM Wrote:It is you who is the fool! The floor was a mine field!
[right][snapback]83679[/snapback][/right]

All of you are wrong wrong wrong.

According to my niece, who knows a great deal about these things, the floor is covered in icky bugs. Mostly centipedes. If you step on the floor they will nibble your toes off. :rolleyes: I think the girl has been watching to much Dora the Explorer or something... She can actually say "centipedes" at her age and she is three. Yikes!

I find it hysterical to watch her do this... The dog and the cats, for some odd reason, will also think there is something wrong with the floor. The cats take to the rafters while the dog bounces from the furniture, being very careful not to touch the floor.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
I used to be really into trains and roads. I had notebooks full of highway maps, drawings of intersections, train maps, higway interchanges, all other of those things.

I also did the "pretend the room is a spaceship", or something inside people's body, or deep sea submarine.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
I can't remember playing this game in the house, but outside on the swing set the ground was an alligator pit. If you touched the grass, you were alligator food.

My brother and I also used to play Star Wars. Since his first name is Luke, he was always Luke Skywalker and I was Han Solo. We had an elaborate course that we would follow from the back door of the house out to the wood shed (which was the Millenium Falcon.) We had to balance on planks and logs to get there, and we were blasting and chopping up imaginary storm troopers the whole way.

--Copadope
Games on elimination based on chants like "One potato, two potato, three potato, four. Five potato, six potato, seven potato more—" or "Bubble gum, bubble gum, in a dish. How many pieces do you wish?"

Once you had a basic grasp of math, you were king of bubble gum and potatoes.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Free Mud Day.

My mom would send my brother and me out (and usually 2 of our friends) on a day right after a storm. We weren't allowed to come home until we were covered in mud. One of the things we did to get muddy was have one person sit on a log, and about 20 feet away (maybe more) the other kids would toss mudballs at the kid on the log.

Then, upon getting hope, my mom would use the garden hose to wash us off, and then it was upstairs to build a fort.

Oh... it was lava inside, and shark infested waters outside.
Rhydderch Hael,Jul 18 2005, 03:09 PM Wrote:Games on elimination based on chants like "One potato, two potato, three potato, four. Five potato, six potato, seven potato more—" or "Bubble gum, bubble gum, in a dish. How many pieces do you wish?"

Once you had a basic grasp of math, you were king of bubble gum and potatoes.
[right][snapback]83720[/snapback][/right]
We always used those rhymes to decide who would be "it" in a game of tag. Everyone who wanted to play had to "put their foot in" a small circle and one person would count, tapping each foot in rhythm with the chant. If the counter ended on your foot, you were either It, or you were free to go and the chant started again until only one person was left and then he or she was It.

--Copadope
Heh, lemme see...one that I always loved was Skelzies: you take bottlecaps and melt pieces of crayon in them (using an oven/toaster oven) to give them weight and to tell them apart, then you draw a square in chalk and seperate that square into four squares, then numbered them. After that you got...want to say 10-20 feet away and then flicked your bottlecap toward the squares. Whomever got the most points, won.

Then there was of course the streetwide games of tag, kickball, oh and wallball! Gosh I havent thought about that one in a long time. Group of kids get a tennis ball or a racketball (the racketballs were better) and went to a good long stretch of wall. Object of the game was to bounce the ball from the street onto the wall and then back at the kids. Whomever caught the ball threw it back, but if the ball hit you and you didnt catch it you had to run and touch the wall before someone scooped up the ball and pegged you with it.

Forts as well were fun, once made a really big one out of both my brothers and my own bed and spent the night "camping." That time wasnt so fun though...left a tiny lamp on all night without a lampshade, then come morning I got up, wasnt paying attention and the burning hot bulb fell on my thigh. Believe it was a second-degree burn from that one, and I had a scar for a good long time.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
I played the lava frequently, and still do from time to time. Forts were another favorite, but I don't do those anymore =( I think I will start one up today, it is rainy and I don't have to work! =D

The first Wednesday of the month, when the tornado siren testing is done, we would always pretend we were tornaoes and spin around in the yard until we fell over. Oh man, talk about exciting!

Water/nerf guns also were a lot of fun.
WWBBD?
Whaaat ?!? Nobody plays BB gun tag anymore ? :(
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
TaMeOlta,Jul 19 2005, 10:08 AM Wrote:Whaaat ?!? Nobody plays BB gun tag anymore ?  :(
[right][snapback]83799[/snapback][/right]

I can remember playing good guy vs bad guy games on occasion as a child... And we used BB guns.

You'll shoot yer eye out kid!
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
[wcip]Angel,Jul 18 2005, Wrote:As for childhood games. One involved ringing the doorbell of neighbouring houses and running away in a frantic panic that the occupants of the house would be standing right by the door ready to catch us. Roughly translated to English: "Ring and Run". I don't know if there's an idiomatically correct name for that game/prank.
[right][snapback]83674[/snapback][/right]

We call it "ding dong ditching" now. :D
Tichondrius
Arnath - UD Warlock (Tailoring/Herbalism)
Seirei - Troll Priest (Mining/Skinning)
Bhim - Tauren Warrior (Mining/Herbalism)
TaMeOlta,Jul 19 2005, 11:08 AM Wrote:Whaaat ?!? Nobody plays BB gun tag anymore ?  :(
[right][snapback]83799[/snapback][/right]

My brother and I always used staple guns :shuriken:
Arnath,Jul 22 2005, 07:43 PM Wrote:We call it "ding dong ditching" now.  :D
[right][snapback]84090[/snapback][/right]

In my youth it was called "nicky nicky nine doors" and it didn't count unless you knocked nine times before you ran away.