runeword (newbie) question
I haven't played the LOD yet though I'm quite familiar with standard D2.

So I was just wondering regarding runewords (I've found very few runes yet for testing out).
Would like to ask whether socketing an item with RuneWord will create a totally new item (eg. you have a barbarian helm with +3 Frenzy auto-mod), now if you socket the OrtSol (Lore?) RuneWord, will the +3 Frenzy auto-mod still be there?

What about the other stuff that have auto-mods like orbs (can sorc orbs accept RuneWords?) and paladin shields (eg, I found a 3-socket palshield with +30 resist all, will socketing it with RuneWord include the +30 resist all in addition to any +resist all from the Runeword)?

Another question is regarding socketable magical swords (ie. the one that you get from using the 3-chip gems + sword cube recipe) -- you could get a passably good magical sword with 3 sockets using this recipe. Now if you plug in a RuneWord onto this 3-socket magical sword, will the Runeword still work?

I read from Arreat Summit that Runewords don't work on mechanics or jewelers (the magical prefixes that add sockets to items) -- is this true for both magical and rare items?
1.) The items remain intact.
- Your Frenzy bonus would remain.
- Your +30 Resist All auto mod would remain

2.) Runewords can only be formed in regular grey socketed items.
- Your 3 socket sword would be a magic sword with three runes in it, no Runewords.
- Mechnaics and Jewellers afixes can not be used to form Runewords.
- Unique Items etc. with multiple sockets can not be used to form Runewords.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Thanks for the quick answer.

BTW, are there Runewords for Sorceress Orbs (Arreat Summit seems to mention the rune words for Staves are not applicable to Orbs)? What item types can't have RuneWords as of patch v1.09 (ie. they can accept Runes being socketed in them, but currently no Runewords are available for them)?
Here's an application that alot of us make use of. It's current with 1.09d and will provide every answer to the questions you're asking.

Runeword Wizard 1.33

Ignore the German, it's coded in English. I was going to link you to the download from dii.net, but alas, they seem to be on vacation at the moment.

This is the one of the slickest little VBs I've seen in a long time. It provides information on what each rune does and where, along with the runewords available, their ingredients and results, and are organized into item categories and application types.

Alas, Orbs are not among one of the item categories... yet. Welcome to the "We're STILL waiting for 1.10" support group. There's coffee and donuts along the far wall, grab a seat and be prepared for a long wait.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
In 1.09 the only rune word that can be used in an orb is 'Venom', TalDolMal. This would require a 3 socketed orb and is not too good cosidering what the rune word does.
Was a good rune word page.

Runica's New Address

Fast and easy runewords, but not super on Runes themselves.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Just wondering, if the extremely rare runes are that hard to find (is even a Mal rune at least as difficult to find than a Stone of Jordan?), then what abour the semi-rare runes?

Any idea which places will start to drop the semi-rare runes (I presume the item level of the runes to be matched with the average monster level of certain difficult/map areas) -- is there any chart that lists which place would be possible (not that it's likely, but that it is just possible to be dropped) to find the semi-rare runes?

Also, I recall seeing a chart of "probabilities" or "chances" for the various runes (or something like how many expected El runes you'd found before finding 1 Zod rune). I recall such a chart (possibly by Jarulf) when LOD was just released around 2 years back (or was it 3 years ago?) but I can't seem to find such chart on the web anymore.
See this post channel1.

channel1 Rune Chart

Edit: That will show how many it would take to convert to a Zod.

Snipped from dii.net Rune Page:

El = 144,238
Eld = 96,159
Tir = 69,209
Nef = 46,139
Eth = 43,530
Ith = 29,020
Tal = 32,998
Ral = 21,999
Ort = 21,133
Thul = 14,088
Amn = 11,822
Sol = 7881
Shae = 6028
Dol = 4019
Hel = 2899
Io/Po = 1933
Lum = 1343
Ko = 895
Fal = 606
Lem = 404
Pul = 267
Um = 178
Mal = 115
Ist = 77
Gul = 48
Vex = 32
Ohm = 19
Lo = 13
Sur = 7.2
Ber = 4.8
Jo = 2.4
Cham = 1.6
Zod = 1

That will show you how the runes stack up insofar as rarity. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
In this thread a few of us gave our opinions on how likely you are to find the moderately common runes in no-twink or when starting over

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...t=ST&f=7&t=1217
Don't forget to take into consideration basic dumb luck.

I have found a zod and a ber.

And I have yet to see a buriza or lightsaber drop.

But I did get a titan's back in april. B)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein