My computer died
Bob the Beholder,Jul 27 2005, 10:06 PM Wrote:So, the other day, my computer just randomly powered down in the middle of everything I was doing.  And failed to come back up.  I checked all the cables, the power strip, etc. and it all seemed fine.  ... after a while I kinda caught the scent of melting plastic.  Not a good thing.

So, I opened that thing up, took out everything I know how (CD-ROM, graphics card, sound card, network card, RAM, hard drive), and examined everything to see if it was burnt or damaged.  Didn't find a thing.  So I hoooked everything back up and hit the power button.  Asbolutely nothing, just like before.  Woo.

I imagined, if something in there were damaged, then it would probably die or explode or glitch out or make funny noises AFTER booting up, instead just refusing to.  So I just kinda decided that it was not recieving power.  (Well...  it seems like it isn't.)  So I replaced the power supply. 

Brand new power supply, brand new cord, several different points around the house (in case the wiring in my room, or that power strip, are dead).  Absolutely nothing.  It just doesn't respond to anything in any way.

My quesion:  What the hell is going on?  I'm confuuuuuused.
[right][snapback]84524[/snapback][/right]

Do you want an honest answer?

It sounds like your PSU blew, and took your motherboard (at the very least) with it. Could also be the CPU (in addition to or instead of the motherboard). And if it is the motherboard, there's no real telling what ELSE might have gone with it.

Set aside a couple hundred bucks and invest in a new Motherboard. If that works, you may want to think about a new CPU just to be safe. If it doesn't work, you'll be getting a new one anyway. :P

Of course, there IS the potential for "other" issues to be causing this - like you improperly hooking up the PSU, the Power Button wire not being connected properly, etc. But, given what you described, I'd say it's bye-bye Mobo and PSU.
Roland *The Gunslinger*

Messages In This Thread
My computer died - by Bob the Beholder - 07-28-2005, 03:06 AM
My computer died - by Roland - 07-28-2005, 03:41 AM
My computer died - by Bob the Beholder - 07-28-2005, 03:55 AM
My computer died - by Yrrek - 07-28-2005, 05:48 AM
My computer died - by Griselda - 07-28-2005, 06:18 AM
My computer died - by whyBish - 08-03-2005, 11:11 AM