Paladin Prayer mana usage
After a looong hiatus I returned to B.net with a Vengeance.

Well, not really. I started a cleric on the Europe ladder.

This shall be a pure support character.

Prayer is already maxed. But I've got a curious observation: Prayer sucks mana like
mad. Even if I'm on full health and not in a party. Even in town it drains mana!

Is this a bug? Or should Prayer work that way?

-Arnulf (highest char on the Europe ladder: 79 already, oh my!)
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
That's how it's supposed to work. Just switch to meditation and you'll gain mana instead of losing it, whilst healing as well.
I noticed that in 1.10, first time I had used it since the original came out. (Was only using it because we already had a might pally in the team (A1)). I didn't think that it worked that way back then, but I don't trust my memory over such a long time.
This annoyed me too. Before, prayer only used mana for the health it heals, but now it uses the same amount of mana all the time it is active (at least based on the skill level)
At last, Blizzard has struck down the haughty Prayer Paladins who were dominating our games and laughing at us! A direct nerf to this overpowered skill.

Sailboat
It is pretty good once paired with the two auras that make it mana free (Cleansing and Meditation)

I made one in 1.10 Beta and it restores a lot.

For one thing the cycle is now faster, every 2 secs instead of 3, which means it is 50% better

Next it stacks with whichever of cleansing or meditation you use, effectively allowing you to have 2 auras on at once without flashing

I think we will almost never see Prayer on a high level Paladin but I think we will feel its effects quite often :)

A max Prayer/max Meditation pally is the ultimate caster support character
Brista,Nov 1 2003, 02:31 AM Wrote:A max Prayer/max Meditation pally is the ultimate caster support character
No, it's not, Brista!

Very few caster attacks are instantaneous, giving a quick-fingered pally-player just about enough time to dab the target with Conviction before impact before switching back to Meditation. It may not be aura-flashing of old but it gives us something to do with our RHS skills. Mind you, Meteor does so much more damage now it hardly seems worthwhile doubling it.

Prayer's mana-burn is a real PITA if you're seduced enough by beefed-up Holy Bolts to consider building a medic but at least you can buy blue pots now and swap to Cleansing at level 12. It also feels wrong that you get better healing from the later auras.
I stand corrected :)