Oops. I'm a duper
My last action of 1.09 was to brutally slaughter Mephisto in Nightmare, and collect his Soulstone along with the Lidless Wall that he dropped. The shield went on my merc (Until I can string together a few more resistance rings/charms so I can dump my Ancient's Pledge Kite Shield) and the Soulstone went into my Stash. Cain and Tyreal gave me their respective quests, and I quit for the night.

Then 1.10 rolled around.

I patch, and haul out the same character in the Pandemonium Fortress. Realising that I can now upgrade the Culwen's Point on my merc for my use I head on over to the Stash.

Cain is standing there with a ! over his head. This can't be good. I go to see what the old codger wants, whereupon he grabs my hand and presses something in it.

"The time has come for you-"

Yeah, shut up Decard. I snort to myself before opening my Stash, whereupon I realise that he pressed another Soulstone into my hand. While the one in the Stash was still there.

The 1.09 Soulstone was labelled red (Note: Not highlighted red as in unusable) while the 1.10 Soulstone was labelled gold. Transferring between Stash and Inventory I could keep both Soulstones in the same "container" without any problems whatsoever. When I dropped either, I could not pick them up if one was in either my Stash on Inventory.

In retrospect I should have kept both and seen what would have happened if I took them both to the Hellforge. Then again, the Hellforge is some time away, and what with me dying every time a Venom Lord sees me...
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Yes... this is Blizzard's way of "delegitimising" all your hard work of getting
the quest items passed from previous diffuculty. :P
What? You said you got that from Decard in the same difficulty? Pah! doesn't matter. This is 1.10 and after all everything
from 1.09 is tained! :ph34r: Don't even dare using it in the new patch! :P

Yes I had the same naive illusion of continuity. Only it was much much worse.
I got stuck with the 1.09d brain, flail and eye (red no less).
It was quite hillarious to try cubing all the parts and finally working out what happened.
If this is what it takes to make me do act3 again it certainly succeeded. :lol:

I'm sure its all part of the quest prerequisity mechanics of some sort requiring quest-states to be orderly followed or something.

*eagerly awaiting Ruvanal to explain this in passing*

Edit: Also I'll speculate that the red stone would have done nothing for you at the hellforge. After all I could do nothing with my red eye... err Khalim's rather. :P

Edit #2: Just read last part of the beta1.10 long thread. 'Chameleon' stated pretty much what I found as well. Cant mix Khalim's parts from different patches. However I did find that finding the parts again lets you transmute them :)

Edit #3: I just dug out my 1.06 abandoned necro who still had the flail, the eye and the soulstone on him (how the flail/eye survived after mephisto I dont know, I must have gotten a town portal to durance from somebody else). Anyway. None of them are red. Look all normal. Hmm..
Question:

Are the drops on the soul stone quest related to level at all in 1.10? I was told they had no effect in 1.09d, just good to know.

I'm one of those sad people who skips the quest and saves it, i've got a level 99 zon still to do the hellstone quest, im praying for a zod, or someother rune i can drool over for the rest of the night :D

Kier
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
I think Gul is the highest the hellforge can drop in hell now. Definitely not Zod, in any case ;).
<wimpers>
What is this life if, full of care

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,