When should we hit the ancients now?
in 1.09, we'd pop the ancients as soon as we could, jumping 5-7 levels at a time. Now that we're restricted to 1 level, which level should it be?

I can't find the numbers for the reward or for the exp required from one level to another anywhere.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
Hmm. I'd say it's best to take them when you've just levelled, but that depends on...

...How does the system work now? When you rightly smite the remaining Old Guy, does your experience bar roll up to 100% before zeroing down with the level? Or do you get some experience on top of the level as well?

Example: Character's experience bar is at 99%, in other words there is no black on it. Hell, four (Due to the Ancients being worth one EP each IIRC) EP will push them over the edge of levelling. Character beats the Ancients around, and they get their quest experience.

Now, will that character just wind up on the new level with zero additional experience (i.e. Earned three points off the Ancients, and one measly point for completing the quest) or will they get more than that?

If they just get experience to take them to a new level and no further, then it's best just to run around until you level. If you take them on with anything more than an "empty" experience bar you're just wasting it.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Well thanks, Dr. Obvious. <_<

What level requires exactly the amount of experience the ancients give though, for each difficulty?
Great truths are worth repeating:

Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
Well, based on old data (Which may have been innaccurate for 1.09, is this really the first time the Ancient's got nerfed?) the approximate quest rewards in points were:

Normal: 1.4 million exp
Nightmare: 20 million exp
Hell: 40 million exp

(Again, based on old data) From clvl 36 to 37 you require around about 1.4 million, for 37-38 takes 1.5 million. 66-67 requires 18.5 million, 67-68 requires 20.1 million. 75 to 76 requires 40.1 million exp. I haven't taken into account any of the difficulty level penalties for experience, therefore your milage may vary.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
You are given an amount of exp, it will roll over into another level. At higher levels, you won't even gain a full level from killing the ancients in hell, according to battle reports posted here.

edit: This is of course from beta, sorry, not release. Information will be shaky for a few weeks.
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.