quest drops
The Arreat Summit says

Quote:Quests in Multiplayer Games

Act Bosses have a high chance of dropping very good items such as rares, uniques and set items the first time you kill them.

So I was wondering if anyone knows how they are keeping track of this.

I'm wondering how this works with multiplayer games and with having some players who have killed a boss before and some who haven't. Is it just dependent on if you get the last hit? So then if you don't get the last hit this time you can go back and kill the boss again in another game and get the special drop? Is it that it counts for all the characters who were partied and in the same act, so that its a one time thing per party? Does anyone have any information on how this works? I guess it depends on if it is considered a quest reward (and so only happens when you finish the quest) or if it is when you actually kill the boss (meaning get the last hit).

edit: opps this should be in the workshop. sorry : (
Not entirely because there is a bug with it.

The player that lands the killing damage determines if the drop use the quest TC or the normal TC.

The validy of which type of TC to use is based on the quest status of th player that delivers the killing damage.

You will still receive the updated quest status changes as you normally did in the previous patches.

So if you are taking on Diablo and a player that has already completed this quest kills him for you, the drop would be the 'normal' one for Diablo. You would still get credit for the quest and as such no longe be able to generate the quest quality drop yourself.

Now for the 'bug'. The parameters for Andariel and Duriel are set up inncorrectly for this. For most normal players, they will always be able to get the quest version of the drop every time reguardless of having completed the 6th quest in those acts or not. The only way to get the 'normal' drop from these two is kill them and then talk to no NPC in that act, start a new game and then go and kill them again (also without ever talking to any of the NPCs in their respective acts. Once you talk to one of the NPCs it changes the status of the 6th quest in those two case to a state that to the game matches to conditions that will be treated as if the quest has never been done for the purpose of generating the quest or non-quest drops.
Hehe,
Here comes the Ladder NM/Hell Andy Farmers now.
I can just hear the mad rush for poison resist items :P
Thanks for all the information. The reason I was curious is because of the quests counting for you if you are anywhere in the act and partied with the people who do it. So it means that if you are in a game and playing through slowly, but then some of your party decide to rush along and kill the boss; you really should unparty them so as not to lose your drop. Basically it just means you have to watch who you party closer if you want to actually get the drop when you fight the boss. You should probably be doing this anyway if you actually want to play through because otherwise you could lose several quests to other people doing them for you. Anyway thats why I was curious and so thanks. : )
Is it possible for someone who hasn't saved Anya to go through the red portal in a game started by someone who has saved Anya?

If so, what will the drop status be if the non-Anya enabled player kills Nihlathak? Will they be allowed to mark the Nihlathak quest as complete? If they subequently save Anya in their own game, will she still make a red portal?
Quote:Is it possible for someone who hasn't saved Anya to go through the red portal in a game started by someone who has saved Anya?

You were always able to in the past and I've not read anything about not being able to now. I'm pretty sure you can go through the portal if it is there.

Quote:If so, what will the drop status be if the non-Anya enabled player kills Nihlathak?

I think that the special drop status only applies to the boss's at the end of acts. Therefore I would assume that Nihlathak just gets the same drop status every time.

Quote:Will they be allowed to mark the Nihlathak quest as complete?

If you kill him, don't have the quest, and whoever made the game didn't have it completed then it should count the quest for you.

Quote:If they subequently save Anya in their own game, will she still make a red portal?

Anya has always opened the portal if you haven't killed Nihlathak or don't have the halls of pain waypoint. So if you haven't done one of those things then she should open the portal for you. If you have done both of them then she shouldn't open the portal.

This stuff is mostly how it worked in 1.09 and I am just assuming it is the same in 1.10. There isn't really much of a reason for them to change how this works and I haven't seen any changes meantioned for it yet.