Anti rush idea
A co-worker who also plays D2 just stopped by. He is exclusively into dueling. During our talk, I realized he was completely oblivious to major parts of the PvM game, since he had always been rushed. I won't quote anything, just read the Battle Net Funnies, Version 1.10 thread and use your imagination.

Anyway, we were talking about the anti-rush feature about not being able to take a TP to certain maps until their unlocking quests were completed. He asked why they didn't just make it so you couldn't take a (blue) TP to any map until you had set foot on that map yourself. Forget the quests; this would slow rushing down to a crawl.

It made me go "hmmm".

-- CH
Some maps can only be entered through a RED portal after solving a quest (i.e. Canyon of the Magi, Nihlathak's Temple), so you cannot set the feet yourself on those first.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Oct 31 2003, 10:34 PM Wrote:Some maps can only be entered through a RED portal after solving a quest (i.e. Canyon of the Magi, Nihlathak's Temple), so you cannot set the feet yourself on those first.
True. However, those could be set so that one must arrive at (and take) said portal which then puts the character in, for example, the Canyon. After that, the character could use anyone's blue portals to that area.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
nobbie:
Quote:Some maps can only be entered through a RED portal after solving a quest

CelticHound:
Quote:He asked why they didn't just make it so you couldn't take a (blue) TP to any map until you had set foot on that map yourself.
(bold emphasis mine)

CelticHound's point was valid, and has nothing to do with red portals. In fact, CelticHound made it a point to paranthesize "blue" for specificity.
The only side affect of this that I can think of is those little "pit" type areas. If you're playing with someone and they need help there, you wouldn't be able to take their TP there. That wouldn't be too bad, you'd just have to remember to enter the little holes when you come by them if you want to keep this from happening.

Hmmm... I can see it know:
"Blizzard recently banned 45,000 Diablo II acounts for the illegal use of a "Portal Hack" program..."
:blink:
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
They could flag certain areas as "sub areas" of other areas. So access to a "main area" would also grant access to all its "sub areas".
I think Nobbie's just making the point that a similar mechanism is already in effect for red portals so it wouldn't be hard to do