Merc Leveling
Been quite frustrated lately with the level of my merc from a2. This really isnt a new occurance but it seems like he just stops leveling at about 15-17 in act 2 and as i progress through the next 3 acts he may gain a few levels tops. I've tried returning to act 2 to level him up but the effort is tedious at best. It would be great if someone could list the best area to level for : 15,16,17.... etc.

Also, a related question for you experts out there. Does a merc recieve party bonus experience or does the scale of the monster impact his experience gain? I was under the impression that his gain is standard regardless of the number of players or party but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Quote:Been quite frustrated lately with the level of my merc from a2.  This really isnt a new occurance but it seems like he just stops leveling at about 15-17 in act 2 and as i progress through the next 3 acts he may gain a few levels tops.  I've tried returning to act 2 to level him up but the effort is tedious at best.  It would be great if someone could list the best area to level for : 15,16,17.... etc.

I've been having to test this a lot, being just as much frustrated with the performance of the act 2 defiance merc of my cleric. I've been slumming in the Far Oasis/Lost City area with him for his levels 16-22 or so since that's where he seems to get the best exp, while the paladin's up to level 36.

Boring doesn't begin to describe it.

Quote:Also, a related question for you experts out there.  Does a merc recieve party bonus experience or does the scale of the monster impact his experience gain? I was under the impression that his gain is standard regardless of the number of players or party but I could be wrong.

Haven't tested the party exp, but the merc DID seem to get better exp when there was someone else in the game. I should try testing it in SP with the /players command, but I'm too hooked on Realms at the moment.
Nomad_oWn,Nov 4 2003, 01:32 AM Wrote:Been quite frustrated lately with the level of my merc from a2.  This really isnt a new occurance but it seems like he just stops leveling at about 15-17 in act 2 and as i progress through the next 3 acts he may gain a few levels tops.
Also, a related question for you experts out there.  Does a merc recieve party bonus experience or does the scale of the monster impact his experience gain?
General advice for where to level by principle: subpost in Hireling info thread
Insanely convoluted factoids about Hireling xp: whole thread
Useful site about monster levels and areas (and treasure dropped, and, and...): d2data
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Hello,

I had the same problem also, got my merc at level 9 and took forever to get him leveled to keep up with me.

I found the best place to start leveling him up at an early level is in act 2 from Far Oasis to Arcane...and repeat that until he got to 20 roughly.

Then moved on to act 3 and used Flayer to Travincal to level him up to 25 or so.

Act 4 to get him to 30, and then mixed Bloodruns and Crystalline to Ancients to get him to where he is now at 36.

Hope this helps