New absorbtion cap in 1.10?
Sorry if this is common knowledge and such, but I could not find anything about it on the forums or patch.txt. It looks to me that absorbtion is now caped at 40% (instead of the silly 100% previously, 50% would have made more sense). Is this correct? Just wondering.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
I read reports of dual-lightsaber babas taking damage from lightning, so the cap has to be below 50%... don't know about wether it's 40 or not
Well, then I can assure you that it is indeed 40% max :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
As if Golems didn't suck enough, Fire Golem uses item_absorbfire_percent. :(
It doesnt actually matter

Fire Golems now have 100% fire resist so unless the monsters use Conviction or Lower Resist they never absorb anything
From my testing in beta, absorb, at least from pvp tests, at most reduced damage by 4 (meaning, after a certain % amount of absorb, it would only reduce the damage by 4 and no further), which would give us a 37.5% absorb cap. This is almost like having 75% resistances (thus the 37.5% cap instead of 40%). I don't think this changed in the patch, and from your post I gather that the same reduction applies to pvm as well.
lemekim,Nov 4 2003, 06:38 PM Wrote:From my testing in beta, absorb, at least from pvp tests, at most reduced damage by 4 (meaning, after a certain % amount of absorb, it would only reduce the damage by 4 and no further), which would give us a 37.5% absorb cap. This is almost like having 75% resistances (thus the 37.5% cap instead of 40%). I don't think this changed in the patch, and from your post I gather that the same reduction applies to pvm as well.
Well, the 40% cap is on the absorbtion % stat. I don't recall seeing a further cap on the actual ammount though. Note that the game uses higher precision than integer, perhaps it was just a display thing. Or some other damage modification taking place prior or after? And yes, this apply regardles of attacker and target type.
Jarulf,Nov 4 2003, 10:03 PM Wrote:Well, the 40% cap is on the absorbtion % stat. I don't recall seeing a further cap on the actual ammount though. Note that the game uses higher precision than integer, perhaps it was just a display thing. Or some other damage modification taking place prior or after? And yes, this apply regardles of attacker and target type.
Hmm interesting... I will have to retest this; either I didn't take into account something, or something got changed; but I did do the tests in beta with several different spells, and they all had enough damage to ignore possible rounding errors (e.g. a fireball did 4,000 damage without absorb, and 1,000 damage with absorb).
With Rising Sun equipped (about 72% nominal fire absorb), fire heals my paladin. Heals quicker than a super healing potion. Works either with 1.09 or 1.10 Rising Sun, though his 1.10 Rising Sun has better stats.

Why is it that you think there is a cap?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
The Rising Sun hasn't changed between 1.09 and 1.10. The level of the meteor is the only thing that varies on the item (and yes, I know it's not random), but the range of possible ones should be the same for 1.09 and 1.10.

The Rising Sun also doesn't have %absorb. It has +absorb. There's a big difference.
LavCat,Nov 5 2003, 05:33 AM Wrote:With Rising Sun equipped (about 72% nominal fire absorb), fire heals my paladin.  Heals quicker than a super healing potion.  Works either with 1.09 or 1.10 Rising Sun, though his 1.10 Rising Sun has better stats.

Why is it that you think there is a cap?
Why a cap? So that people can't turn immune (for all practical purposes).
adeyke,Nov 5 2003, 12:44 AM Wrote:The Rising Sun hasn't changed between 1.09 and 1.10.  The level of the meteor is the only thing that varies on the item (and yes, I know it's not random), but the range of possible ones should be the same for 1.09 and 1.10.
I'm not sure. I thought the max possible was 10 in 1.09. A level 15 spawned for me the other night. What is the maximum?

adeyke,Nov 5 2003, 12:44 AM Wrote:The Rising Sun also doesn't have %absorb.  It has +absorb.  There's a big difference.
I am embarrassed that I never noticed this! Still, with Rising Sun he seems immune to the bad balrog breath and the diablo clone, and stuff like that.
LavCat,Nov 5 2003, 12:33 AM Wrote:Why is it that you think there is a cap?
Please see the above apology for my stupidity.
Quote:I'm not sure. I thought the max possible was 10 in 1.09. A level 15 spawned for me the other night. What is the maximum?

Oh. Then my understanding of those mechanics must be flawed for 1.10. The slvl of the meteor is based on the ilvl of the amulet, and I'd calculated the slvl at ilvl 99 to be 10. I didn't think this had changed for 1.10, but if you got a slvl 15 one, it must have.
Quote:The Rising Sun also doesn't have %absorb. It has +absorb. There's a big difference.

What's the difference of "+absorb" -- does it work like damage reduced by (specfic number of damage, instead of percentage damage)?

Also, are there any other items that have "+absorb" (... too lazy to look at each item on the items listings)
The +absorb first gives you life, then also reduces the damage by that number. It's like %absorb, except that it has a flat rate instead of a percentage of the damage.

There are quite a few other items with +absorb, including several added in 1.10.
Well... Hmm.. I have retested the absorb, and now it seems that indeed, the cap is at 40%. I am not sure why the change, since my tests where exactly the same as in beta. So 40% is the new absorb cap.

Also, I noticed another change while doing the tests. I am sure someone has mentioned it, but in beta the pvp penalty was 1/10, but now it seems it's changed to 1/6. I have only noticed this with various sorceress spells (since this was just a side thing while I was testing absorb), in single player game, so the results might be different on realms, so perhaps someone can verify the exact numbers.
The exact PvP penalty is actually 17% which is slightly more than 1/6 :) Note that now (no idea about beta), the PvP penalty is applied BEFORE -damage/-magicdamage, resistance and absorbtion and other such modifiers. Basically done first instead of last as it was before.
Jarulf,Nov 6 2003, 08:45 PM Wrote:The exact PvP penalty is actually 17% which is slightly more than 1/6 :) Note that now (no idea about beta), the PvP penalty is applied BEFORE -damage/-magicdamage, resistance and absorbtion and other such modifiers. Basically done first instead of last as it was before.
IIRC in beta they had already moved it, since accidentally while doing testing I was unable to damage a character PvP while I had forgotten to remove their -damages items. I recall thinking at the time that this wasn't a good change, as it would ruin PvP on realm (surprisingly I have yet to hear that this is the case, but it seems clear to me that damage reduction, absorption and resists should potentially make it nearly impossible for another player to harm you significantly).
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Crystalion,Nov 6 2003, 04:56 PM Wrote:IIRC in beta they had already moved it, since accidentally while doing testing I was unable to damage a character PvP while I had forgotten to remove their -damages items. I recall thinking at the time that this wasn't a good change, as it would ruin PvP on realm (surprisingly I have yet to hear that this is the case, but it seems clear to me that damage reduction, absorption and resists should potentially make it nearly impossible for another player to harm you significantly).
The masses are probably unaware of this change yet, I wasn't. This may actually be a good thing though. Most structured dueling has rules about what can and cannot be used, so this would just be something to put in the "not allowed" group. But for the defense of the general players from grief PKers this might save them at times. In particular for some of those that prefer Hard Core.