Ancients bug
I've seen some passing references to a bug involving the Ancients, including this thread on the topic at diabloii.net:

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php...?t=76530&page=1

However, it's been hard to sort the wheat from the chaff in these discussions, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any concrete information on what the bug is, what causes it, and most importantly for us hardcore players, how to avoid it.
Wasn't this discussed here already? Maybe that was AB...

In any case the only way to avoid it is a flawless connection/b.net (hah!), lots of r/w, and not being a melee character.
I suspect that what's being referred to is in fact not a bug at all

The Ancients come equipped with random gear. Because it's random it usually sucks but every once in a while it can be awesome - a Cruel or some such

So if Korlic is Extra Strong and Leaps you it will, in the normal run of things, hurt

If it so happened that his weapon has spawned Cruel then you may get one hit killed

I think for some players the word "bug" is now being used where they would have once said "lag" ;)
Brista: Thecla reported one of them not being removed when she entered there again (4 Ancients), and that she died when she got near him; that sounds like a bug to me.

Another player said Madawk did almost no damage to them, then all of a sudden boom: 2000+ hp lost in a single hit.
adamantine,Nov 5 2003, 08:22 AM Wrote:Another player said Madawk did almost no damage to them, then all of a sudden boom: 2000+ hp lost in a single hit.
This happened to me too. Over 2500 hp lost instantly. This is in single player, too, so don't talk about lag being the cause. The deaths happened so fast I didn't even see what caused them.
Guys, did you read my post properly?

I explained how the Ancients can kill you in one hit, the reference to lag is humour
mattis,Nov 5 2003, 12:05 PM Wrote:This happened to me too.  Over 2500 hp lost instantly.  This is in single player, too, so don't talk about lag being the cause.  The deaths happened so fast I didn't even see what caused them.

Actually, Diablo II uses client/sever technology even in Single player... so "lag" is still quite possible, and quite common. This may not be the case for your specific example, but you cannot rule it out either.

EDIT: Typo.
Dix...

"Facta Non Grata"

[Image: dixen.gif]
My own experience: Nightmare difficulty, 1504 life, killed by a fire enchanted Korlic's first blow. On the next two attempts the same character was killed by Madawc within a second of touching the altar - didn't see what his enchantment was. I wan't cursed before any of the deaths.

The Ancients had magic weapons in 1.09 as well but I don't remember this happening.
It did happen but it was infrequent

Now it's seems to be much more common, in fact I lost a character with slightly under 1200 life to a single thrown axe from Madawc

Possibly there is some other factor in play too, Hell Ancients is turning into a Hardcore graveyard
I'm going to hop to the other side of the fence on this issue with apologies to those I doubted

There certainly was a one-hit kill feature in 1.09 but it was rare (the weapon spawns cruel feature)

There now seems to be also a one-hit kill bug if they get Fire Enchanted as a mod

Some excellent research on this has been done by TrueMuppet at the Amazon Basin in this thread:

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...showtopic=33551
Brista,Nov 11 2003, 05:19 AM Wrote:There now seems to be also a one-hit kill bug if they get Fire Enchanted as a mod
Ah, so it wasn't just me. I tried getting through the Ancients in Nightmare with a Charger, only to see 1000 life vanish in a single hit, sending me to the infamous red screen. <_< The funny thing was I was Charging a Spectral Hit version of Madawc and heard the Fire hit sound right when my character died. There was one other Ancient close by, but I didn't see what he had . . . :unsure:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War