Merc Bugs
First I have seen of this one. Non-ladder, softcore. Char had hired a merc in Act II, had been rushed at level 19 to Baal a while back, and has been keepig the account warm for ladder HC to start, and went to play last night.

Merc was level 17, my char was 19, they had been together since about level 13/14. He had 40 Hp, should have had 180.

Entering and leaving game did him no good. I eventually fired him and got a new merc at level 13, when I was 20, and spent the time to level him up to 19 this morning before work. Cats 1-3, Sewers, and FO, and a little AS did the trick in pubbie games with betwen 4 and 7 peopl in them.

If I find him with 40 points when I play him later tonight, I am going to spit.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
You were a bit unclear as to which merc you wer looking at and in which version of the game it was orginally hired. But the info here may answer your question.
http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...showtopic=33287
In any case, I had an interest in discussing all and sundry Merc bugs in this thread as folks find them.

By the way, the Merc in question had been hired in Normal, before the patch, he was blessed aim. In any case, now that I have hired yet another merc, now what? He has the proper HP, is he going to reset to 40 next game?
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I have the similar problem too. I specifically tried to get to NM Act2 as low level as possible to try to get the mercenary at low level so I can train him up to have better stats.

This worked in 1.09 where I had obtained a Might mercenary at level 9 :)

I noticed this bug when the mercenary keep being 1-Hit KOed by monsters even though I have Shout, BO on him. So I opened up the mercenary screen and find he only had 40 HP!! Looks like it is a new anti-rush implemented by Blizzard, and I will have a mercenary with less hitpoints.
All those old issues that once occured when you moved far enough from your mercenary that it fell into an inactive area are still there.

- The Catatonic: He stands and reflects on life the universe and everything while monsters ignore him.

- The Permafrosted: Your mercenary is a smurf. :huh:

- The Seasick: He's lean, he's mean and he's green.

- The Leper: You can see him and he continues to help, but monsters refuse to have anything to do with him.

And probably more when I find them. :unsure:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Boooyakasha,Dec 4 2003, 07:49 AM Wrote:I specifically tried to get to NM Act2 as low level as possible to try to get the mercenary at low level so I can train him up to have better stats.
It's only the difficulty you hire the merc in that matters, not the level you hired him at. If you had waited till you were level 40 (say) before hiring a might merc he would have had the same stats as a one hired at level 9 and leveled to 40.
Every once and awhile while I have an act I merc, I notice that when she casts Inner Sight on monsters (unclear of EXACT circumstances - requires further testing) and either I leave the area or zeal at that exact moment, the lot of monsters that are affected by the Inner Sight are unhittable, but they can hit back. This has happened to me several times and my team-mate also could not attack these monsters, yet they could attack us. I still don't know exactly what causes it, or if it even has anything to do with zeal, leaveing the area, him cursing (a necro), or whatever it might of been, but I've seen it a total of 6+ time so far, so I know its a reoccuring bug.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
WarBlade,Dec 4 2003, 08:38 PM Wrote:- The Permafrosted: Your mercenary is a smurf.
I think I know what you're talking about (their current graphic state isn't cleared when the state (frozen, chilled, poisoned) is), but mercs can be frozen, can't they?

Shattered they can at least, which can be pretty shocking (for a merc luver..:blink:).
Quote:Every once and awhile while I have an act I merc, I notice that when she casts Inner Sight on monsters (unclear of EXACT circumstances - requires further testing) and either I leave the area or zeal at that exact moment, the lot of monsters that are affected by the Inner Sight are unhittable, but they can hit back

This wasn't by any chance in act1 catacombs was it? There currently is a bug where ghouls and tainted sometimes spawn unhittable(by melee attacks). Only "ghouls" and "tainted" appear to be affected, so if this is another type of monster, it must be something else.
LOL! And all this time I was convinced it was my little rogue! Yes, it was in catacombs now that I think about it! Thanks for the heads-up on that.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:LOL! And all this time I was convinced it was my little rogue! Yes, it was in catacombs now that I think about it! Thanks for the heads-up on that.

No prob. I'm pretty sure there is a thread detailing what observations there have been of this bug in the AB technical forum. It might be a page or 2 back by now though.

EDIT: link
adamantine,Dec 5 2003, 04:15 PM Wrote:I think I know what you're talking about (their current graphic state isn't cleared when the state (frozen, chilled, poisoned) is), but mercs can be frozen, can't they?
Missiles which freeze my Skeleton Warriors, only chill my Mercenary. So I guess they can't be frozen, but only chilled, just like players.
Also, i've noticed that my merc can tank the Baals Minions when they're all red and ready to explode and dosent take any damage from their exploding bodies. Is this a bug or a feature? I've noticed it since 1.09.
Baajikiil,Dec 5 2003, 04:16 PM Wrote:This wasn't by any chance in act1 catacombs was it?  There currently is a bug where ghouls and tainted sometimes spawn unhittable(by melee attacks).  Only "ghouls" and "tainted" appear to be affected, so if this is another type of monster, it must be something else.
I'm almost positive Blizzard did a server-side patch to fix that. It should be easy enought to test.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
WarBlade,Dec 4 2003, 02:38 PM Wrote:- The Permafrosted: Your mercenary is a smurf. :huh:

My current hypothesis is this occurs when the merc is first chilled and then poisoned. If the chill wears off before the poison, the blue color remains until the merc is chilled again. When the second chill wears off, the graphic is reset properly.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
Quote:I'm almost positive Blizzard did a server-side patch to fix that. It should be easy enought to test.

Actually I'm pretty certain they did this as well. I haven't seen the unhittable guys in many Andy runs since they had the downtime to fix the password retrieval abuse. I think they have fixed it, but just did not document it.

Anyone seen it recently?

EDIT: The reason it may not be the easiest to test, is that it only happened "sometimes". So it's hard to say if you're just lucky, or if it is fixed. I tend to think it was fixed though.
MEAT,Dec 9 2003, 08:57 PM Wrote:Also, i've noticed that my merc can tank the Baals Minions when they're all red and ready to explode and dosent take any damage from their exploding bodies.  Is this a bug or a feature?  I've noticed it since 1.09.
I guess it's a feature, since nothing stops your mercenary from charging in a pack of suiciders without second thought. If your merc would take damage from such critters, he'd die every single time you'd encounter such a boss pack.
I had an odd one today.

I was keeping a close eye on the merc's exp, as he was behind me a few levels but was close to an important level-up where he could equip a new weapon.

I took a peek, and his screen had something like this:

Experience 1,795,500
Next level up 1,787,000

i.e. He had surpassed the experience needed for his next level up.

This difference persisted a bit, but then cured itself when I next returned to town. Then he gave the announcement that he had leveled over his head, and his character screen showed an appropriate clvl, experience level and experience needed for next level-up.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Dec 20 2003, 01:55 PM Wrote:I had an odd one today.

I was keeping a close eye on the merc's exp, as he was behind me a few levels but was close to an important level-up where he could equip a new weapon.

I took a peek, and his screen had something like this:

Experience 1,795,500
Next level up  1,787,000

i.e.  He had surpassed the experience needed for his next level up.

This  difference persisted a bit, but then cured itself when I next returned to town.  Then he gave the announcement that he had leveled over his head, and his character screen showed an appropriate clvl, experience level and experience needed for next level-up.
Similar bug but even weirder:

My merc leveled- up and was the SAME LEVEL as myself. I really should of taken a screen-shot! Is that a new feature? It says on Arreat Summit that the highest clvl a merc an reach is 1-level below yours, so is this a bug? And it happened MORE THAN ONCE. Next time it happens, I'll get a screen shot of it.
And I am happy about that