Cube recipies to upgrade rare items
In beta there were cube recipies to upgrade a rare item from its normal base type to exceptional, and another to go from exceptional to elite. However, these were never listed on Arreat Summit so it makes me fear that they either weren't intended to be in the final patch, or they wanted to keep it somewhat of a secret. Anyone try these yet? The recipies are listed here:

http://www.diabloii.net/items/horadric-v110.shtml
The recipes are there and work. While the AS's cube page has some big errors on it (as does the dii.net one you linked), I'd note that the AS does include this:
Quote:1 Ort Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Normal (Basic) Rare Weapon = Exceptional Rare Weapon
The item type is upgraded.

1 Ral Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Normal (Basic) Rare Armor = Exceptional Rare Armor

1 Fal Rune + 1 Um Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Exceptional Rare Weapon = Elite Rare Weapon

1 Ko Rune + 1 Pul Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Exceptional Rare Armor = Elite Rare Armor

Maybe you overlooked these.
Ah it looks like they added them on October 23rd to Arreat Summit and I just didn't look. Thanks, glad to see that they're included.
On a related note. Can rare weapons get more than 1 socket (naturally or from shenk quest reward)?
If so one might well be able to construct something decent by the upgrade followed by socketing if 2 sockets are a possiblity.
I recall seeing 2 socket naturally spawning rare shields on 1.10beta. Unsure if weapons do as well.
The jeweler's/etc prefixes grant two sockets, not some natural occurance or the quest reward. That's the only way to get more than a single socket on a rare.

AS has incorrect values for those prefixes. I got a two socket rare helm in the beta. I seem to recall mechanist's being able to give two sockets now, which would explain it.
*Pren_LL-AB
USEast HC
Dark_Mutterings (Necromancer)
Doug_Winger (Wearbear)
Heroic career and 1.10 aspirations cut tragically short because NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH A 22.2K CONNECTION WHY DOES GOD HATE ME.
Correct. Mechanic's gives 1-2 sockets, randomly, capped at however many sockets the item can have at the given ilvl. And it works on rares. That's the only way to get a 2-socket rare, though.
So what you're saying is: Larzuk is not a mechanic

:D :ph34r:
Quote:
Pren: "On a related note. Can rare weapons get more than 1 socket (naturally or from shenk quest reward)?"
I thought that Rare Weaponds and Armor spawned with random prefixes and suffixes that had no relevance to what attributes they can posses? Aren't Mechanic's and Jeweler's Magical prefixes?
Quote:I thought that Rare Weaponds and Armor spawned with random prefixes and suffixes that had no relevance to what attributes they can posses? Aren't Mechanic's and Jeweler's Magical prefixes?

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

Rare weapons and armours get random prefixes and suffixes, yes. However, they're restricted to affixes that are rare-allowed, and (like with magic items) to affixes that are allowed on their item type, and to affixes that require an alvl no greater than the one present on the item. Mechanic's is a rare-allowed prefix that gives 1-2 sockets and can spawn on weapons, shields, helms, body armour and (redundantly) circlets, but not throwing weapons. In the case of sockets, there's a cap on how many each base item can have at a given ilvl, and the Mechanist's prefix cannot override this.

Now, if I didn't happen to answer the question you posed, could you clarify what it is that you were trying to ask?
Quote:While the AS's cube page has some big errors on it (as does the dii.net one you linked)

Is a correct list available anywhere (other than encoded in the game files)?
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
I don't know of one. The one encoded in the game files suits me fine :). Information about the various recipes is scattered throughout here and the AB. The AS page is still useful as long as one knows about and ignores the big errors. Maybe I should just ask them to fix the page eventually, but if I start doing that, I'll be busy for a long time ;).
Quote:The one encoded in the game files suits me fine

Well fair enough.

While I'm no modder I have poked around in the mpq's before. So I hauled out the new patch.mpq and extracted cubemain.txt. So my new question :D is: has anyone verified whether the recipe descriptions in column1 are truly correct, or do I need to 'reverse engineer' all the formula data in the other columns to make sure?
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
For the most part, that column is accurate. Just be aware that it gives runes in terms of the rune number instead of the common name. Also note that they don't say what ilvl the output item is. You'll have to look at the other columns for that. Also note that the wording "magic, socketable weapon" for the standard gem recipe really means "socketed magic weapon."

If you have questions about anything specific, just ask and we can "reverse engineer" it for you. I just don't want to translate all 148 recipes in the file ;).
Quote:If you have questions about anything specific, just ask and we can "reverse engineer" it for you. I just don't want to translate all 148 recipes in the file

Aw gee...

I think with the cube tutorial and some other documents from Phrozen Keep I should be able to pretty much figure it out, at least to the degree I need to.

I see the 3 chip socketing recipe is in the file...and for any weapon, apparently. Hm, I thought that recipe wasn't in the beta. Either I'm mistaken on that point or they re-added it for the release version of 1.10. I see that it gives a slightly inferior result compared to the 3 flawless recipe. Interesting.
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
Correct. The chippy recipe was added for 1.10 final but was not in the beta. You're right about the results only being slightly inferior. There usually isn't any difference in the output items, and the list of possible cruels is the same for both.
Also tried extracting the cubemain.txt file from the MPQ and I noted that there's a "ladder" column which seems to indicate that certain recipes would only work on the "ladder".

My question is, what exactly constitutes the "ladder" -- does that mean older Realm characters (characters created in B.net prior to v1.10) won't be able to use the "ladder" cube recipe?

What about single-player/multi-player characters (created prior to v1.09, or created in v1.10) -- will they be able to use the new "ladder-only" recipes?

~~~~~~~~

Another thing, I just noted now that you could re-roll charms and jewels using the 3 perfect gems +1 magic item = new magic same item. --> is this a new recipe (I mean with respect to input items charms/jewels) in v1.10 or was this also available in prior versions of Diablo 2?
The ladder-only recipes can be used in ladder realms games, Open, SP and TCP/IP but not non-ladder realms.

The recipe existed in 1.09. Three perfect gems will reroll a magic item and retain the items ilvl. It's great for rerolling jewels and charms, as well as those weapons that can't get cruel from the other recipes. It doesn't give sockets, though.