newbie question about ladder
Hey everyone I've never posted here before, just used to read the stuff. Anyway with the new patch and everything I'm gonna have to make all new characters, and like many other d2 players (I think) I'm a bit of a perfectionist. So my question then is, what exactly is a ladder character? As in, what do you have to do in order to get those extra items and cube recipes? Is it just beating the game quickly? Thanks.
Ladder characters exist only on the realms. There's a checkbox at the bottom of the screen when you make the character, like for the Hardcore/Softcore option. And, like that option, Ladder characters cannot join non-Ladder games, and vice versa. Any ladder character, as well as any Open or SP or TCP/IP character, can use the ladder-only recipes, but non-ladder realms characters can't. The ladder-only items can drop only in ladder (or Open or SP or TCP/IP) games, but there's no guarantee that you'll ever see one. It's still just luck finding them.
Would you say that it would be worth it to play ladder characters? The extra items and recipes are enticing, but how many players play ladder, and are there games to join?
Hi

Regard the ladder as a new opportunity! Your chars will be all new; so will be everybody else's. When you create a new char, just tick the ladder-box :D

Of course, you can play SC, but I consider that just boring B)

good hunting

P.S. With synegies and everything the balance has tilted slightly, so the old rules/guides aren't exactly reliable
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Hail Gligamesh,

I greatly enjoy playing ladder: The economy is brand-new and unspoilt (for now), end when I found Hand of Broc yesterday, I almost started dancing around.

As for games, you should have no trouble. Hillruns, Baalruns, Sewers, Arcane and "Diablo Dies"... it's all there. Also, as some other thread points out, playing is actually more fun since the players stick closer together to support each other. Had the best games ever in Ladder HC games these days!

Have Fun!
Greetings,
Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
If I may I'll make a plug for the Amazon Basin: www.theamazonbasin.com

You should find plenty of people to play with there :)
What does the "expires in 11 days" thing mean?
It means that you have to play the character a bit more

After you've played the character (or just sat in some games) for 2 hours it will disappear