simple runeword question
Just wondering, for the runewords that are applicable to certain weapons only (am looking at the runes.txt file in the MPQ).

If it says "melee weapons" -- which weapons are not considered melee weapons -- obviously, throwable items and bows/crossbows are not included, but how about sorceress orbs/staves and necro wands or assassin claws or paladin scepters (ie. the class-specific weapons) -- which are considered part of "melee" weapons?

Because I'm wondering if the AmnTir (Strength) runeword works on sorceress orbs/staves or necro wands (to be able to give some strength to wear heavier armors for sorc/necro)? Strength is listed as only working on "melee" weapons.

Similarly, does Malice runeword work on paladin scepters (I've tried it on Assassin claws and know that it works there).

Also, I'm a bit unclear about "mace" and "hammers" item type. Does "mace" include clubs (eg. spiked club) and maces (eg. morning star) but not scepters nor hammers (eg. war hammer)? Also, what are the only items that are considered hammers (just war hammer and the excep/elite versions of it)? Is the maul/great maul part of "maces" or "hammers"?
Easy answer: the calculators in my signature will show which weapons work for a given runeword or which runewords work for a given weapon.

Other answer:
Mêlée weapons:
Axe
Sword
Knife (i.e. daggers)
Spear
Pole
Combo Weapons (weapons which can both be thrown and used in mêlée, though they can't have sockets)
Blunt (all clubs, hammers, maces and rods (all staves, wands and scepters))
Hand to Hand (assassin claws)

It does not include these:
Orbs
Missile Weapons (bows and crossbow)

The maces things are confusing. Here are the subtypes of blunt weapons:
Maces (mace, morning star, flail, exceptional/elite versions of these)
Clubs (club, spiked club, exceptional/elite versions of these)
Hammers (war hammer, maul, great maul, exceptional/elite versions of these; these get 1.1 ED/strength instead of the 1 the other blunt weapons get)
Rods (all staves, wands and scepters)
Thanks for the quick replies, Adeyke!

So in essence, sorc orbs can only have runewords if that runeword is allowed on all weapon types (ie. those weapon category that include bows and melee weapons).

So, a sorc orb is not considered as a "rod" then? Does that mean the crafted item recipe that involves "rods" as input items -- you can not use orbs too (caster crafted weapon thus only applies to scepters, wands and staves then)?
The only recipe that works on orbs is Venom, because that both works on all weapons and doesn't require more sockets than orbs can have.

A sorc orb is not considered a rod. Technically, it's both a Weapon and a Sorceress Item (which is a subset of Class Specific), but there aren't any runewords specifically for those latter item types.

The rods (technically called "Staves and Rods" in the MPQ) only include scepters, wands and staves, so those are the only things that work with the caster crafted weapons. Not orbs.