Kill Bill
o.k let me start by saying that there were so many delays it was very annoying, plus the music didn't quite suit the atomsphere of the movie at times and that it rocks! :D

God the amount of blood was so absurd it became incredibly hilarious, you never laughed until you saw a headless corpse sprouting blood from the stump like a fountain at the city square.

Honestly, I won't recommend the movie to anyone who has money problems because this movie is definately not worth it but damn... I havn't laughed so hard for a very VERY long time.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
How's the dialogue in this film?

I *love* Jackie Brown, for several reasons, but most of all for the dialogue.. and Samuel L. Jackson's deliveries are flawless.

His "What the f*ck is up with this sh*t?" when he sees Max Cherry together with Jackie Brown in the mall.. I laugh my ass of every time I just think about that line, and Samuel's facial expression.

---

I'll probably go see Kill Bill, even though it stars Lucy Liu.

Another thing I'm skeptical of; how was Uma? I saw the trailer and I didn't buy portrayel as an assassin one bit. I have nothing against her as an actress; she blew my mind in Pulp fiction, but I just don't see her as that kind of character. To me Uma's more.. domesticated.

.. and how big exactly is this legendary fight scene in the end, where she supposedly slits 84 throats in 20 seconds?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
I found Jackie Brown pretty cool and was very disappointed by Kill Bill. Kill Bill is pointless and boring, IMO. The story has no surprises at all, the dialogues are nothing special.
If you find exaggerated blood effects funny, you will maybe laugh at some points. I did not :)
The opening scene where the main character fights with that woman is the best of the movie. After that, it got more and more boring.
Uma don't quite get the feeling of a vengence-driven assassin, it feels more like she's one of those that will start throwing kitchen knives at her boyfriend...

As for the big fight at the end: Yea, it was amazing (although the exagerated blood spoiled it a bit).
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...t=ST&f=2&t=2112

I've said it at least once on every forum I read, and it looks like I'm going to say it again: Kill Bill is a masterpiece, period. I have yet to read a negative word, not one negative syllable, that didn't stem from the viewer's canned, anemic ideas of what a movie should be. I can only hope that those who didn't understand the movie the first time will see it again at some point, because once you take the blinders off, there aren't many movies that can compare to Kill Bill.
Please tell me that you don't feel the same way about the Matrix! :D
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
TaiDaishar,Nov 5 2003, 03:32 PM Wrote:o.k let me start by saying that there were so many delays it was very annoying, plus the music didn't quite suit the atomsphere of the movie at times and that it rocks! :D

God the amount of blood was so absurd it became incredibly hilarious, you never laughed until you saw a headless corpse sprouting blood from the stump like a fountain at the city square.

Honestly, I won't recommend the movie to anyone who has money problems because this movie is definately not worth it but damn... I havn't laughed so hard for a very VERY long time.
I have a good friend who absolutely HATES Kill Bill. I doubt he'll willing see a movie in which anyone in Kill Bill is involved in. But he does have a strong have very strong feeling about his movies....

Frankly, I would like to see it. Only because I wish to stay informed.... :D Personally I was turned off by the previews, though I suspect I might enjoy it.
Omni,Nov 6 2003, 05:38 PM Wrote:Kill Bill is a masterpiece, period. I have yet to read a negative word, not one negative syllable, that didn't stem from the viewer's canned, anemic ideas of what a movie should be.
Well that's tempting fate. Ok, I'll bite.

Kill Bill is a self indulgent collection of genre nods. It's neither great, nor is it crap. It's . . . average to above average. In fact you won't be seeing it nominated much at the Oscars due to it's overwhelming 'averageness'. The scene stealers were Go-go in every Go-go shot and the sword smith in the bar scene - Not Uma Thurman, who mostly did ok, but only really shined in a few places.

BTW Uma Thurman needs a foot double.

And what the hell was with the magic disappearing wheelchair. Pointless continuity errors really piss me off.

Quote:I can only hope that those who didn't understand the movie the first time will see it again at some point, because once you take the blinders off, there aren't many movies that can compare to Kill Bill.
Ok the blinders are off. Tarrantino is a visionary, but somehow Kill Bill is just average. There are vast numbers of other average films out there that compare favourably to Kill Bill.

:blink:

:lol:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
WarBlade,Nov 6 2003, 01:00 PM Wrote:Well that's tempting fate. Ok, I'll bite.

Kill Bill is a self indulgent collection of genre nods. It's neither great, nor is it crap. It's . . . average to above average. In fact you won't be seeing it nominated much at the Oscars due to it's overwhelming 'averageness'. The scene stealers were Go-go in every Go-go shot and the sword smith in the bar scene - Not Uma Thurman, who mostly did ok, but only really shined in a few places.

BTW Uma Thurman needs a foot double.

And what the hell was with the magic disappearing wheelchair. Pointless continuity errors really piss me off.

Ok the blinders are off. Tarrantino is a visionary, but somehow Kill Bill is just average. There are vast numbers of other average films out there that compare favourably to Kill Bill.

:blink:

:lol:
I second every word you said.
There is another Kill Bill thread that this all should have been posted in.
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellem"
[Image: Ax.gif]
DralaFi,Nov 6 2003, 10:19 PM Wrote:There is another Kill Bill thread that this all should have been posted in.
Which is on the 4th page and don't really discuss the content of the movie...
Quote:And what the hell was with the magic disappearing wheelchair.

The wheelchair rolls away and crashes somewhere off camera. Watch the scene again, you can hear it. Why the police didn't search the 'P" Wagon (in 13 hours no one found Buck's body?) is what I wondered.

Who cares. Best movie ever. Na na na na na I can't hear you.
*Swarmalicious - USeast Hardcore
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - W Wonka

The Flying Booyaka and The Legend of Bonesnap
*le double post*
I had an interesting reaction to Kill Bill. Keep in mind that I liked Pulp Fiction, but only on the second viewing 2 years after the first.

It's classic Tarentino. If you like his films, this is an outstanding piece of work. If you don't, this one is self-indulgent to the point of being masturbatory, so you're not going to like it.

That said, I was offended by some of the movie's extremes. If you take what is going on, onscreen, at face value, then you're going to see lots of people exploited and damaged (physically, but mostly emotionally) for your own kicks. I had a similar reaction to Natural Born Killers and, to a lesser extent, Gladiator, but both made me think about the link between vicariously cruel entertainment and exploitation. "Are you not entertained?"

This situation was exacerbated by the fact that some madwoman, instead of hiring a babysitter, had brought her 3 kids (age around 6-10) to see this movie. :huh:

But about 20 minutes in (after anguishing along with Uma when she realizes her baby is gone, and what was done to her; that was really a fabulous performance), I relaxed and decided to enjoy it as pure cinema.

This is when the endorphins kicked in.

Kill Bill is the most tongue-in-cheek, playfullly reverential, winkingly tribute-driven movie I've seen since Galaxy Quest.

If you've ever stayed up watching cult 70s cinema, you'll find dozens of perfect moments. Some of my faves - the out of focus intro "Feature Presentation" with the off-kilter sound; "If you meet God in your travels, God will be cut"; deliciously cheesy miniature airplanes and Tokyo skylines; and, best of all, the Quincey Jones theme (Ironsides?) playing like a Theremin siren over Uma's angst-ridden expression when she tweaks. That moment, I think, somehow distilled everything that was bad and wondrous about 70s cinema in about 2 seconds. Pure, intentional cheese of the finest caliber; choose your own wine.

The conflict against the Crazy 88, was gore-ridden enough that I got most of the tributes (ahh, the double arterial victim spray, that hearkens back to that one Kung Fu grindhouse flick, can't remember the name), that I actually got annoyed with it. But while annoyed, I was grinning from ear to ear.

It redeemed itself when I realized that the showdown is not the ultimate scene in this movie. The ultimate scene only lasts for a few seconds, but it's a huge payoff: After all of this melodramatic, referencing carnage, you get a serene view of a snow-crisped Japanese garden that is simply one of the most beautiful frames I've ever seen on film. In any other movie, it would have been a nice shot. But after 20 minutes of hyperkinetic gore, it's a masterful payoff that I haven't seen equaled by any movie this year.

Unfortunately, that's followed by a somewhat disappointing final showdown.

More thoughts, but I have to get back to work ...
;)
It is on the 3rd page, and if you had bothered to read the thread then you would know that it did discuss the movie.

As I said it before I will say it again, after seeing the movie for the 3rd time, Kill Bill is a masterpiece.

Cryptic, I totally agree with what you said.

This movie, like Pulp Fiction is not going to be a major blockbuster (maybe volume 2 will) and it is going to have a cult following when it goes to international markets and goes on DVD and Video. I just feel sorry for those people who will never see these movies.
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellem"
[Image: Ax.gif]
Well, I just came back from the cinema, and I have to say I liked it.

Granted it wasn't as good as Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction or Reservoir dogs, but it was still good.

Some gripe:

* The dialogue felt quite unnatural at times, especially in the beginning with everyone calling everyone else "bitch". It certainly didn't roll of the tongue like the dialogue in Jackie or Pulp

* Uma. Most of the times she was great. I totally believed her portrayel as an assassin, but there were some instances where she looked like a housewife placed in the wrong film. Her facial expression didn't always denote seriousness.

* How the hell did she get up into the ceiling when Ms. Chainsling came out looking for her. The ceiling was 10 feet high!

* Come on; if Robert Romano (ER) almost died after losing an arm in a helicopter accident, how come the French woman survived for so long with that amount of blood loss.

* It didn't feel like a Tarantino-film. The lack of Tarantinoesque dialogue aside, the film just didn't feel like a Tarantino-film. I don't think I can describe it, the movie just felt differently than the others. The only thing that made me think that this was a Tarantino-piece was the music. He has a way of mixing situations with music that doesn't really fit, but somehow does. Think "Didn't I (blow your mind)" with Max Cherry and Ordell in the car at the end of Jackie Brown.

* Honestly, I'd thought there'd be more blood. Obviously it has to do with the big fight scene being in black and white. That sort of tones the whole violence-thing way down. (side-note, I liked how her eyelashes triggered the film coming back into colour).. when I entered the cinema, I thought I'd see some gutwrenching violence and that I might get nauseaus. There were some violent scenes, but it wasn't at all as over-the-top as the media would have it, in my opinion. Perhaps if the whole film had been in colour... who knows?

It's not the greatest film I've ever seen, and it's not the greatest Tarantino-film I've ever seen; mostly because it didn't feel like a Tarantino-flick; not that that's a bad thing...but I had a good time watching it. The only times I squirmed were in the beginning with the namecalling which felt way out of place.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw