A question
I'm having a bit of trouble taking out Goat Archers in the Catacombs. They keep running, and the rest of them keep shooting, so I go after them. Then that one runs. So I go after another...etc., etc.

I found that going after large groups by activating them, whipping out a bow, then running around a corner works best.

With smaller groups I try to corner trap each individual group.

But you say, "Why don't you corner trap the ones that come running after you from large groups?" I often find that the dungeon isn't set up to make it easy. Most of the time, the only available corner is right beside the rest of the large group.

Help.
Hi,

But if you are playing in a style that does not allow warriors bows and spells, then corner trapping works best. If pots are not an issue (i.e., not playing some form of Iron Man), then just go for that corner, even if you're being hit, and kill one archer while drinking. Repeat till there are none left. If pots are a problem, then look for a good killing zone and lead them there. Sometimes this means that you will need to lead the archers across the whole level -- that's just how it goes.

But, basically, there is no real good way to go against ranged attackers with melee types. Either change styles or take the hits -- that's about all you can do.

Oh, and sometimes getting rid of the shield is necessary, at least when facing a lot of archers. Otherwise you could get "block-locked". When the number of opponents drops down to five or so, go ahead and re-equip the shield.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

If your a naked mage why are you using a bow? Try fireball instead.
(S)He isn't. They are playing a melee war, as in the title of the post..however the Naked Mage is in the persons screenname, so maybe you missed that Skana. :)

Personally, I find the "peek a boo" strategy that is found in Boltys High Level Warrior Guide to be useful not only for witches but for these archers that move in the catacombs. It's on the Diablo 1 Strategy part of this here site.
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
Hows your spell levels? Chain lightning works well versus most goat archer types, and even lower levels of chain lightning will be able to kill them because of their low levels of life. Use a peek-a-boo tatic like a corner to get them all lined up, and give em a cl or two.

The archers are much lower level than hell enemies, and thus are easier to hit with magical attacks. If your fireball is of a respectable level, try it on them to see if you hit them often enough. You might be suprised. If you find you aren't hitting them enough, try to drive them against a wall. It if misses them all, it will still hit the wall and the splash damage can kill up to three of them.

If there is a door that isn't blocked nearby, retreat through it and cast firewall with your cursor on the door, which will result in the firewall being place just on the other side of it. When you shut the door, the archers will all move forward and a couple will enter the firewall. One will open the door, and then start to flee. As soon as he opens it just shut it again and he will repeat the process. This will have him walking in and out of a firewall, and he will die quickly. Also, is you are doing that, you are mostly shielded from other arrows, and other goat men may also die in the firewall. Once the guy who opened the door is dead, another one will take his place. The last one or two can just be killed easily by waiting at the doorway and catching them with your melee weapon. This is my favorite tactic to use in the library/shrine rooms where there can be tons of archers.

For non fire immune archers, sometimes you can cast a firewall behind them and perpindicular to a wall to make an artificial corner. Unreliably the archers will not even walk through it, choosing either to walk all the way around it, or simply stay in the "corner" (between the wall and the "wall") where you can kill it. I haven't tried this in awhile though, so I can't be sure with this one.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
When I'm chasing one, I almost invariably find myself running past one that's shooting with his bow. If you're quick, take the oppurtunity to re-click on that fellow and have your Warrior knife the guy down as you walk by.

The Goats always seem to "know" which one of their number you decide to chase. The others seem to be content to stand and shoot because they know you haven't clicked on them. Surprise those suckers with a new attack of oppurtunity.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.