Quick questions about Sanctuary
Out of sheer boredom im contemplating to create a sanctuary paladin to fight against the undead. Which i think could be especially powerfull in hell, where black souls have become the new supreme annoyance monster.

But my question, is the damage synergy from Cleansing only applied to the pulses of magickal damage, or also the damage you deal with your weapon? For if its pulses only, then its definitely NOT worth to improve cleansing.

But beside Sanctuary, im thinking of building on the theme by attaining undead killer stuff like the Boneslayer Axe, ghouhide/gravepalm gloves, eld runes and heavenly garb. And thusly making him quite a meanie against undead. Those black souls REALLY annoyed me!

But what other skills to use beside Sanctuary? He is going to need AR in some form, and sanctuary is taking place as the main aura. Also he is envisioned as a party player, not one going out on his own because of his narrow focus. Question, when IMed, will he take damage from it while under sanctuary? I had heard confusing things about it. Because how sanctuary turns your damage into a special undead only damage.

And my last reason for using sanctuary, is namely how good it looks like when its fully maxed. And i bet i will meet a lot of ppl online that is totally baffled to what aura it is ;)
The problem is Blessed Hammer is 100 times more powerful. :(

The second problem is Will 'o the Wisps (their real name, or just Wisp), do all their melee damage with the missile, so even with high elemental resist you'll take a lot of damage.

Quote:where black souls have become the new supreme annoyance monster.

20 Resist Lightning = +20 max lightning resist to all.

A protector build would look something like 20 resist fireght/sanctuary and then points like you want.
While I can't comment on the specific technicalities of how sanctuary works (curious myself how, exactly, it works in 1.10, actually), I can tell you of my own experiences with the skill.

First of, it gets TONS of style points -- those little sparkles extend to cover more than the whole screen, which leads to many comments such as "what are those things on the floor?" Fighting the undead with sanctuary aura active is enough to make you giddy -- level 15 sanctuary gives a much higher boost to damage than level 25 fanatacism (albeit only to the undead).

Other skills are really whatever you want to go with. Frankly, sanctuary is so brutally powerful, I wouldn't bother with synergy points. That leaves the door wide open for holy shield, one or even two direct combat skills, and at least one other aura -- fanat is the usual choice, of course, but to be more party friendly you could try out concentration or conviction. Vengeance/conviction is a great combination of course, but smite/concentration, zeal, charge or even sacrifice would be interesting ideas. Sanctuary is SO powerful, you'll want to try to have as many other options covered (for un-undead) to keep you well-rounded.

I can't recall 100% about the IM question, however, I do have some info about the way sanctuary adds damage -- first and most obviously, it adds a percentage to your damage (melee and ranged) when attacking the undead. Second, it lowers the physical resistance of undead creatures to 0 -- so you can leech from undead monsters, even if they're immune to physical damage.

Personally, I would use smite, charge or conviction/vengeance -- all 3 help solve your envisioned AR problem, though smite would be the best while using sanctuary in that regard.

The build is very fun and quite powerful. Just wait till you take a run through the sewers, the tombs, or the chaos sanctuary -- particularly if you add those planned +ED% to undead.

**edit (here to end): Just saw adamantine's post about blessed hammer. While the hammerdin can safely be considered 'back,' there are some considerations: mainly that it can take 80 points (hammer, concentration, blessed aim and vigor), lacks the sparkly effect (as I said, tons of style points), and will not be as effective versus the undead. Besides, everyone knows the most effective sorc in 1.09 was frozen orb and nova -- are you then suggesting that the problem with my brutally over-powered meteor sorc was that since orb is so much more effective, meteor is a waste? **

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Hmm, i was speculating on sacrifice and redemption and eventually fanatisism too, as it is a damage synergy for sacrifice, and adds even more by itself when equipped. And since im speculating to go the 2hander route, holy shield isnt an issue. Plus it spares you the hassle of trying to get a herald of zakarum, which have been virtually impossible on usa east of late. They get ripped away instantly. And go VERY high in trades to elites even.

That build is a four skill build idea and is attainable around lvl 70-80 which is feasible for most chars, that doesnt have the patience to level into the 90 range and beyond. So you will have sacrifice and sanctuary as main skills, switching to redemption to heal yourself and evaporate bodies. And lastly fanatisism when encountering normal monsters.

Originally i had just thought of holy bolt, but after having tried it out. Im finding it not to be to my like. Like how it doesnt pierce. Making it hard to hit monsters or players engaged in a tight melee. Sanctuary gives a lot more room to pick of undead with the sanctuary effect.

Also, wouldnt a dedicated weapon skill be more suited for sanctuary? Since sanctuary doesnt add a straight number of damage like holy shock do, but just tacks on a percentage. So you kinda need both smite and holy shield to make an effective smiter, and a high power shield to get decent damage.
Seems to me that you could get more damage and early with a weapon skill.
I, too, am a sanctuary fan. Level 26, I think. It's the only way I have been able to do Pindle runs since the patch came out.

Did anyone answer the question about magic damage from the cleansing synergy? I would love to know. I suspect the magic damage is added to the weapon damage, but I have only one point in cleansing, and it is hard to tell.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Dont you get a lot of questions about what aura it is you use? :)

Also, what skills do you use together with sanctuary? I would really like to know.

Also if i am to go with the sacrifice idea outlined earlier, how much life leech would be needed in hell? Im not sure of the new penalties to leech.
Just saw this over on the Amazon Basin. Can anyone verify if this is true or not? It would be really nice to know before attempting to make a Sanctuary paladin, if it doesnt work at all.

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...showtopic=33467

He claims that Sanctuary adds absolutely NO extra damage to undead.
in 1.09 D, Sanctuary did as advertised. Not sure if they broke it.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Nov 7 2003, 07:53 PM Wrote:in 1.09 D, Sanctuary did as advertised.  Not sure if they broke it.
In 1.09 Sanctuary's damage bonus did not work with Vengeance. iirc it didn't work with Sacrifice either, but I was mostly concerned with Vengeance back then and my notes seem to have wandered off. Sanctuary did work fine with zeal, charge, and normal attack, so few people actually cared (or even knew).

In the 1.10 beta, it stopped working with all skills. It's still broken in the final version 1.10.

Then again, I might have been full of it back when I tested in 1.09 as well <_<.

-pbrain, (aka brianp at the AB)
To repeat what I said on AB:

Quote:The only reason people are seeing an increase in damage is vs monsters with high physical resist.

While if Concentration quintuples the damage, if you're fighting a 90% physically resistant monster, Sanctuary will add twice the damage of Concentration.
LucianDK,Nov 7 2003, 07:20 AM Wrote:Dont you get a lot of questions about what aura it is you use? :)
Not as many as I might think. I did not use Sanctuary much in 1.09 past nightmare. I have recently started playing in basin games, and it is popular when all the sorceresses are dying to undead.

LucianDK,Nov 7 2003, 07:20 AM Wrote:Also, what skills do you use together with sanctuary? I would really like to know.
Zeal.

LucianDK,Nov 7 2003, 07:20 AM Wrote:Also if i am to go with the sacrifice idea outlined earlier, how much life leech would be needed in hell? Im not sure of the new penalties to leech.
A lot.

Maybe one of the math jocks would be so kind as to offer more specifics?
LucianDK,Nov 7 2003, 09:16 AM Wrote:He claims that Sanctuary adds absolutely NO extra damage to undead.
Oh, I don't know if it actually does any extra damage. I just like the pretty sparkles. That and the knockback. However in nightmare I could kill undead off screen just by standing there.
What's the range of Gloams lightning attack? What level of sanctuary would be needed to have a radius longer than thier attack?
All this talk of a sanctuary pally has inspired me to turn mine into one too. I decided mine will go with vengeance, holy sheild, sanctuary, and should we add in Fist of Heavens, or perhaps fanat. and another physical skill. Please help lol I wanna make a good pally but still have a strong character and especially have fun!
Ran off to the Amazon Basin
GentlemanLoser: Gloam's is off-screen, I'd guess 30-50 yards. :(

The radius for auras is in radii(?) so 20 yards circle =! 20 yards all around.