Ravens...
In my new druid build, ravens are a very important part in it. So, here are some questions I hope that you can answer.

1) Some people say that ravens cast dim vision on their targets. However, I have not seen them do this, and so wonder if this is true.

2) Although ravens are untargettable, do enemies other than those silly zombies try to hit them?(zombies actually try to hit them)

Thanks in advance. :)
Pirate 1: We've come to the edge of the world!!!
Pirate 2: Pay up, it's flat.
-- Sinbad, Legend of the Seven Seas
In 1.10 final, Ravens gain the property "Hit Blind Target (+1)." They have to hit their target for it to work, and success isn't guaranteed, especially if the target is high-level.
Check the chart here:
LL 1.10 changes thread

The ravens have a chance to blind target based on the level of the ravens skill and your level.

At the high levels this chance becomes 100% for monsters many levels higher than you.

I have a wearbear/druid who has a lot of raven, and the effect is fairly significant, but tricky to predict. You need to move around a lot to get the ravens to change targets. In any case, it's pretty fun. :D
*is so happy about the hit blinds target effect*

Yay! Myself, along with many other druid players at the basin (and probably quite a few of you here, but quite a few of you here are also there) have wanted that for quite some time now (they do peck out the enemies' eyes). It works like howl, in a way, since for howl to work, it has to be
howl_level+your_level>monster_level
I am assuming raven works that way... Anyone know? Or do ravens have the same thing, only it adds 1 to the raven's level? (These things are what my no stats druid needs) Or is the +1 the chance of it happening if the level thing works (kind of like hit freezes target)
Look in the thread malphigian linked for both the equation and a chart giving the % chance for various situations.
Adeyke: Oh no...I read the bonus as -1 in monprop (what I entered in the formula...), so my chart is all wrong. :(
malphigian,Nov 8 2003, 03:57 PM Wrote:Check the chart here:
LL 1.10 changes thread

The ravens have a chance to blind target based on the level of the ravens skill and your level.

At the high levels this chance becomes 100% for monsters many levels higher than you.
Pragmatically speaking, however, adamatine's preface to his table should be noted:
Quote:Which gives this, it doesn't take into account blocking and the chance to hit, of which I have no idea what their AR is, all I see is base 100 and 15 afterwards, which should mean the increase in percentage, but there isn't a starting value anywhere.
I'm still holding my breath waiting for Ruvanal or some other mod/code expert to outline the summons AR calc/inheritance scheme so ordinary folks like myself can make reasonable AR guesses.

In the worst case, if we assume 100 AR + 15 AR per slvl, we end up with ~400 AR for a Raven maven. This sucks vs. hell act 5 monsters, where the Ravens would blind the target, *if* they could ever get a hit in (apparently they have a fantastic mlvl bonus, being summoned at clvl + slvl -2, which helps here). The problem is that there are only 5 of them and they don't attack very often. So if they have only ~33% chance of hitting they still look kinda bleak if expected to control crowds asap.

However Ruvanal said something about Blade Sentinel that seemed to imply (to my limited understanding) that summons might sometimes be getting better AR.

I'd really love it if the game just had a decent -debug switch to get a dump of monster/summon stats at creation.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Quote:I'm still holding my breath waiting for Ruvanal or some other mod/code expert to outline the summons AR calc/inheritance scheme so ordinary folks like myself can make reasonable AR guesses.

No offence (and I could be wrong), but no-one's figured out how AR works with the blade skills and won't for these too?

Since these creatures have NoRatio=1 it's impossible to check how their AR is figured out (unless you dig into the hard-code?).

Even worse though (if your guess is true) they're not homing - if the target moves when they start attacking they miss, from my small observations with them (at slvl 1, mind you).

I wouldn't say they're godly in any way: the 'attack radius' is something like Hurricane/Armageddon, pretty small and random.
I tried a max Raven out (well max as far as level 16 or so) and they were pretty good

They blind things quite often although, like many Druid effects, it's hard to get it to work on demand

It's obscurely satisfying when you hear that rather peculiar noise and notice that another opponent has been taken out of the fight

It lasts a fairly long time in Normal, sometimes back-tracking we'd find a blinded monster who'd been forgotten about in a corner a couple of fights back