Salamander or The One Hit KO Machine
Hello all,
I have encountered a serious problem in my hell game: the madness that is Claw Viper Temple. It has killed every one of my parties that have ventured into the place. The problem comes from the salamanders in there. The salamander uses the Charge skill I think, and so far I don't seem to be able to block it, despite my 73% blocking and almost 20k defense (char level 79 if that matters). This is all fine, except that one charge from these shady bastards take off about 700hp. I don't see how to effectively counter this charge skill from monster of so high level. I have tried smiting them, but I can only deal with one each time. I tried holy freeze, but that only makes the kill time goes from five seconds to ten seconds.
I have several possible solutions that I might try. I can up the hp to over 1000, but that would only make it a Two Hit KO machine instead of One. Or I can use conversion on every single one of them, but that seems lame. Or I can only play with fire sorcs, who can kill them quick enough while all of us melee fighters run around like headless chickens. Or get a necro to shield all of them, but that doesn't happen all the time.
I would like to hear how other paladins are dealing with these hellish snakes. I play in eight player games mostly, so please adjust your suggestions accordingly.
Thanks you.
Ah, don't get hit :o

You need something else to take that hit, a handy barb merc, a converted monster, wand summonable charges, convincing a skelemancer to party, etc.

Charge is unblockable, it's in all the paladin guides.

Oh, and you do know that you can Charge anywhere?
Strange, my Hammerdin in the beta had no problem in the Claw Viper Temple, and therein you might have you answer. ;)

/players 8 (you should say 8 players, but I'm too used to the other way) is just silly if you're a melee warrior in hell, even my Hammerdin had trouble just on 1 player in many areas.

Decrepify + Holy freeze + Slows Target + Cold spell = that period of death time slowed down to ~a minute, enough to kill your targets. Of course you can't get all of the effects, but two should be enough.

Then not to forget knockback (Multi/Strafe Zon and Leap), stun (War Cry, Shockwave, Mindblast, shift-click-Smiting) and AI messing (howling items, left Curse tree, Barb Taunt/Howl), and lastly some more I might of forgot. ;)
The Salamanders will not be your main concern anymore when you later find yourself facing the dreaded Black Soul. It is so bad that when people see them and quit the game immediately, if they lucky to see them :P

You will normally see a few lightning hose and then the screen will be filled with XXX has been killed by Black Soul. LOL.