Is it just me or is Hell Act5Q2 impossible?
The moment the soldiers awake, everyone starts wailing on them. The moment the gate's broken, everything starts wailing volleys of 3000 damage at that portal, and someone ALWAYS dies.

I know the obvious answer is to kill everything before saving the barbs, but it's friggin impossible to do before they knock down at least one of those guys.

We managed to do it with a trapsin w/ cloak, but half of us didn't get the quest reward. :angry: No idea why; none of us were in town when the last gate went down.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
Try killing everything in the area first...............
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Chaerophon,Nov 10 2003, 03:13 AM Wrote:Try killing everything in the area first...............
:rolleyes:
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Loyal Diablo fan since 1997 :-)
You wouldn't be a hero if you didn't brutally murder everything in sight now would you?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote: You wouldn't be a hero if you didn't brutally murder everything in sight now would you?
I prefer to call it: vermin infestation counter measures :P
Also, I've noticed that if someone in the party who has already done the quests "helps out" and destroys the door to *any* of the three pens, then the people who haven't gotten the quest yet will get the old "You cannot complete this quest in this game" message once all 15 barbarains are released.
Do it with a paladin who has an appropriate very defensive aura for the area (salvation and resist fire often work well since imps do fire damage--although other guest monsters might indicate a different preferred aura). A high level defiance merc might also help. Or a Druid who uses an oak sage (and makes sure it is up). A barbarian who uses BO as soon as possible can also help. Of course, all three together are even better. All three need to have high investments to get large areas covered and significant bonuses (ie level 15 to 20 plus skill adders (say 23 to 30 effective) are expected--but then this is late hell, so characters should have such investments beyond their primary skill). The 1 point utility versions might give an edge if you're close, but aren't going to give massive help.

One idea I've never tried would be to surround the cage in bone walls (or perhaps even fill the area with bone prisons).

I've never found the quest particularly hard to do. I don't know if casting summonables inside the cage would help (basically providing meat shields/distractions for at least some of the attacks). The shadow master's ability to teleport probably makes her less than ideal in this role...

Also, I find this quest is much better done either alone or in a party where everyone in the game is working on the quest as a real team. As soon as anyone spots a likely cage location, back off and start killing the monsters in an area around the cage before getting close. This should reduce the number of monsters that need to be killed near the cage.

As far as the failed quest reward, I remember from 1.07 or so that there are issues with exactly what is required to receive credit for the quest. Something about having to be close to every gate when the first? last? barbarian enters it? I don't recall what the required triggers were anymore--you might try searching the archives. My vague memory was that the problem was never "fixed" just people finally got sufficiently good equipment they could just rush up...
---
Ebony Flame