Lounge Bugs Lurking
Hey Bolty et al,

Frequent luker, infrequent poster. Glad to see the site back on line!

Thought I'd provide a little feedback. I usually use a Mozilla browser (v1.2.1). In this environment, when I look at the new version of the lounge, I see some pages rendered correctly, but others show up as raw
html. Specifically, the intro page and the contact page show html, while the main d2 page shows rendered.

For reference, I checked a few of the pages with IE 5.5 - All pages seem to render properly.

I don't have a good explination for this that would help you fix it. However, there was no problem with this under any of your previous hosts.

I diffed the sources I received from the two browsers, and saw nothing. There could be a difference in the way your server responds to various browser ID tags, but I haven't tested this yet.

Does anyone else around here have any suggestions? Has anyone noticed similar issues with browsers other than IE? Or between different versions of IE? It is possible that this is a Mozilla problem. Any suggestions from the admins or other lurkers?

Sorry to throw one more thing at you now - I'm sure you've got a million things to worry about without me adding to the pile. Hope my feedback helps in troubleshooting the new setup.

Again, glad to see the site back up,
-Vornzog-
Same here. Mozilla 1.4 spit the dummy on the front .shtml and I had to run up IE to get this far down and then paste back into Mozilla. For what its worth its definitelly not .html as I have a local proxy on my LAN here and whatever mozilla cached originally IE got too and it displayed it right. Its probably something in the HTTP request and reply interaction before the actual page is sent over.

[ Edit: I got the ####s and went and did a bit of snoopin around to discover stuff below ]

I dumped the network traffic for both IE and Mozilla for the page: http://www.lurkerlounge.com/

The reply from the server is identical for the headers and the initial page (before the CSS gets requested by IE, btw, mozilla barfs and does not request CSS after the first page at all))

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:41:34 GMT
<-- dates will differ from one request to another
Server: Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
X-Cache: MISS from my.proxy.org
<-- my proxy name obscured :P
Proxy-Connection: close

The data back for both browsers is initially:

<html>
<head>
<title>The Lurker Lounge</title>
<meta name="description" content="The source for in-depth game mechanics, discoveries, and strategies for Diablo and Diablo II, gathered from all over the Internet fansite community.">
<meta name="keywords" content="Diablo,Lurker,Lounge,Lurker Lounge,strategy,guide,guides,Blizzard,Blizzard Entertainment,Battle.Net,Variant,Warrior,Rogue,Sorceror,Diablo2,Diablo II,Diablo 2,Lord,Destruction,Lord of Destruction,Amazon,Assassin,Barbarian,Druid,Necromancer,Paladin,Sorceress">
<link rel="StyleSheet" href="http://www.lurkerlounge.com/includes/main.css" type="text/css">

At this point IE requests CSS (below) ... and Mozilla does not (continues to paint rest of the page)

GET http://www.lurkerlounge.com/includes/main.css HTTP/1.0
Accept: */*
Referer: http://www.lurkerlounge.com/
Accept-Language: en-us
If-Modified-Since: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:11:18 GMT; length=2195
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Host: www.lurkerlounge.com
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
HTTP/1.0 304 Not Modified
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:16:04 GMT
Content-Type: text/css
Last-Modified: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:11:18 GMT
X-Cache: HIT from my.proxy.org
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
</head>
<body marginwidth="0"

[SNIP]

Here is how both browsers requested the page:

IE:

GET http://www.lurkerlounge.com/ HTTP/1.0
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword, application/x-shockwave-flash, */*
Accept-Language: en-us
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive

Mozilla:

GET http://www.lurkerlounge.com/ HTTP/1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624
Accept: application/x-shockwave-flash,text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,video/x-mng,image/png,image/jpeg,image/gif;q=0.2,*/*;q=0.1
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive: 300
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Pragma: no-cache

Now... this Accept stuff and interpretation of what the server says the content is is what breaks Mozilla

I went to the Amazon Basin (which paints fine in both browsers and got this as a response)

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:08:03 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.47 (Unix)

Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

X-Cache: MISS from my.proxy.org
Proxy-Connection: close

I think its a pretty safe bet that the culprit is the server tagging the pages as:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Mozilla "naturally" paints it as text. IE just tries to be smart (hah!) and probably (assumption.. I dont know what Microsoft did there :P ) assumes its HTML if its text/plain if it sees some <head> or <html> tag near the top of input stream.
Thanks, guys. I'll try to get this fixed as soon as I can. Your info was most useful here!

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
If you have an .htaccess file already created then you can just add this line to it and it should help things out:

AddType text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1 .shtml

Of course, if you wanted a different character set (say utf-8) you could use that as well.

If you don't already have an .htaccess file you can read about them here. Also, this problem occurs more frequently with regards to .css files and documentation on these occurences can be found here and here.

Hope this helps, and glad to see you back.
Solostaran,Dec 1 2003, 11:40 AM Wrote:If you have an .htaccess file already created then you can just add this line to it and it should help things out:

AddType text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1 .shtml

Of course, if you wanted a different character set (say utf-8) you could use that as well.

If you don't already have an .htaccess file you can read about them here.&nbsp; Also, this problem occurs more frequently with regards to .css files and documentation on these occurences can be found here and here.

Hope this helps, and glad to see you back.
This does help a lot - I thought this could only be configured on the server level...they're running Apache. I've uploaded an .htaccess file to the root - did it help?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Yes, that helps imensely. http://www.lurkerlounge.com/index.shtml rendering in other browsers now.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
That did it. Works for Firebird 0.7.
Seems to have taken care of my problem. Front page looks fine.

-V-
Yeh looks ok now. Mozilla 1.4 here.

- ldw