Im pretty ticked off.
Blizz hasnt even answered the email(all very polite mind you) I send support even.

I understand that a lot of things can go wrong, but this was pretty absurd. And their lack of action about it makes me think the old Blizz we all liked is DEAD.

Someone made an account on another realm with the same name and as mine and spoofed Blizz into sending them my password.

I had actually noteven registered for the password recovery because it looke suspicious to me.

I lost everything I had on the ladder, my 88 barb(with nice gear) and my 80 druid.

Im starting to think it would be fair to call them assholes; it seems like they are trying to no do any major recoveries so they dont draw attention to thier error.
They fixed it now AFAIK, and they had a recovery program thing going?
They fixed the explot the first day and made an announcment that they would help people who they screwed over by sending out their password.

They havent helped anyone yet.
Well, the original feature was well-meant, how you call it "screwing over", I don't understand.

That the bug with it existed is inexusable, but their not fixing it can be due to low amount of personell available for DII (which is due to capitalism..).
I think its pretty easy to see how I was screwed over.

1 They made a a mistake(an inexusable one as you said).

2 The mistake destroyed my account.

3 They are not fixing my account.

4 They made a public announcment pretending that they are fixing the account.

The lack of personal to fix a problem for customers, which they created - is not reasonable.

I understand that a free server will have things like map hack and limited update. Blizzard emailing my address to thiefs not the same.2
Ghostiger,Nov 30 2003, 01:48 AM Wrote:They fixed the explot the first day and made an announcment that they would help people who they screwed over by sending out their password.

They havent helped anyone yet.
They didn't fix it the "first" day it happened, they fixed it when it began to spread. It had been happening for weeks and they ignored all e-mails and warnings about it, not that anyone would know since they go out of their way to delete ANY posts showing how they ignored any warnings.

I've seen dead HC chars back to life now, so they are doing something, not exactly sure what though, if it's just reviving or rolling back. Go read the post about them fixing the "hack" (lol, hack my ass). There is information about what to send them for them to help you out.
Dead HC chars back to life? Why would they do THAT?

Blizzard clearly has some very weird things going on.
Theives spoofed a bunch of hardcore accounts and killed them.

Im really referring to the softcore thefts which were more about stealing items(although the result is I have no access to my account at all)..
Don't give the 'hackers' that much credit. The spoofing that occured wasn't the least bit complicated; all one had to do was reply to a different email addy when they sent the confirmation email back. (ex. make an account on europe and send the confirmation back while replacing all instances of europe with uswest)
Greetings,

I think you may well be right about the good ol' Blizzard.

Quote:And their lack of action about it makes me think the old Blizz we all liked is DEAD.

rant \

I bought myself LoD when it came out. 6 months later, the cd got destroyed by my cd-rom drive. Why ? I don't know.
I bought myself another LoD after that. I made a backup copy, in case it would break, too.
10 months or so later the LoD cd got destroyed by my cd-rom-drive again. I was upset and started using my backup-cd. I had the right to, hadn't I?
Few weeks ago: patch 1.10 is released. I install it and LoD cannot find my expansion cd anymore, although it is in the cd-drive.
Few days ago: after I wrote e-mails over e-mails to blizzard, there are several different statements I got from them:

- We don't support the use of 3rd party programs with our games.
-> when the hell did I use them? I did not!!! ( I did not hint the use in any e-mail by the way, the guy answering my e-mail just guessed that I might have used them before...)

- We don't support backup-copies of our games.
-> pretty arrogant. It is not my fault that my dumb cd-rom drive crashes my LoD-copy two times.

=> result: I will have to buy myself another copy of LoD. Yet the THIRD.
Thanks to AOpen (my cd-rom manufacturer), Thanks to BUZZARD.

\rant

Greetings, Fragbait

EDIT: typos.
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Arrogance? Or perhaps a little impatience with the clueless?

Destruction of data media components is not within the prescribed parameters of a computer component. So, your CD-ROM destroyed your disk. That should have been your first clue that something was amiss. I, for one, do not worship Murphy or dumb luck. If the drive ate your disk, don't wriote it off to luck of the draw— there is something friggin' wrong with your drive. Fix it or nix it— but toddling along as if nothing happened is not the way to go. You afforded yourself another copy of LoD. It wouldn't have taken all that much more for another drive (or to get someone to hem and haw over your old one).

Then you made a backup of your second CD. To replace the one that your drive utterly destroyed. So, you're going to place this disk into a disk drive that you know eats CDs for breakfast. Which one do you use? The expendable backup copy? No! Why not use the invaluable original? Capital idea, old chap! Let's use the orginal CD, instead of the backup you created, in a CD-ROM that you know is not all right.

What lo! The drive! It ate the second disk!

Face it: the fault lays in every bit as your hands as it may in Blizzard's. You knew that your drive sucked. You chose to proceed ahead with it. Rather than take the precaution of using the backup copy of your game disc for cinematic/music information recall, you opted to risk the original each and every time you placed it into your balky CD-ROM.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Fragbait: In short, drives that go near 50x speed have VERY high chance to destroy the cd. There was a huge discussion about this on b.net forums (an intelligent topic there? Who would of guessed). Get an older (~35x) instead.
Just as a side note, both my systems are running 52x CD-Rom drives. No problem thus far.
Greetings Rhydderch,

I'd have to admit that you are right in almost every point that you made, Rhydderch Hael,
if it weren't for this:

- Yes, I lost two copies of LoD in my drive. (It's a 52xspeed by the way)

- I have never ever lost any other cd in that drive. Not other cds AT ALL were destroyed by that drive. Only 2 LoD
copies were destroyed.

- I thought it was bad luck or a material issue of the cd when this happened first. A quite usual reaction, if you ask me. ( I expect you don't.)

- When I wrote to Blizzard after my first cd got destroyed, they did not mention that these problems tend to be quite common with fast cd-rom drives with one word. They said NOTHING.

Don't take it personally what I write. I didn't attack you in the least way. If it sounded that way, I apologize.
Furthermore, I said that I will buy me another copy, luckily my new Acer Notebook only includes a 24x burner, which will hopefully not damage my cds.

Thank You for your input.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Hey! :o

Lucky you. Nevertheless it would be advisable to fabricate yourself a backup-copy, at least.
Could be that the cd gets damaged, if that happens and you try to use your backup, please be so kind to drop me a line if it works with 1.10 or not. So far, I only have my experience, and that's not altogether much.
Thanks a lot,

Greetings, Fragbait

- Bruce Lee

Here's an article:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/12/...9379779472.html

And experiments:
http://www.paintbug.com/cdexplode/

BTW, If you're not concerned about your current 50x:

Quote:Although Stadje has no statistics that many people are being hurt, he had his first indication last week that consumers are suffering when he received an e-mail from a man who had a plastic splinter embedded in his skin, drawing blood.

Aren't DII CD's double-format (mac/pc)? They might be extra fragile or the like because of that.
Fragbait,Dec 2 2003, 12:49 PM Wrote:- When I wrote to Blizzard after my first cd got destroyed, they did not mention that these problems tend to be quite common with fast cd-rom drives with one word.
After doing a full install and upgrade with LoD you can still copy the d2x music mpq off of the CD into the d2 directory (assuming you like to play the expansion music)... this basically leaves the CD as only a game start up screen "copy protection" check. Aside from saving wear and tear on your CD drive, this is likely to decrease your chances of trashing your CD.

A pity that so much software piracy (and the over-priced retail system) indirectly results in enough co. paranoia to seriously risk damage to consumer hardware (and, indeed, the consumers themselves). Blizzard is, of course, not the only co. with this problem.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Two programs exist that can make pretty much all of your CD-ROM issues disapear.

Clone CD is a useful utility, at its heart it is a simple CD copy program. It is easy to use, simple and quite powerful. You can use it to make a 'disk image' of your cd, sure it's 650+ megs but then harddrives have so much space now days.... Currently my Iso directory is close to about 4 gigs or so

Daemon Tools is something I use everyday, not only does it load my disk images but it also has safedisk emulation. I tend to take my computer to lots of different places so not having to carry around a huge book of CD's or fumble out a different one if I want to switch games is a really big boon.

One clear advantage of using Daemon Tools is that for any game that constantly reads the CD it instead pulls the info from the hard drive, much faster and quieter :P

Fragbait, if you download Daemon Tools and use its safedisc emulation then your 'backup-cd' will work. The problem is that most CD copy programs will not copy any CD protection software, the bad bytes and whatnot.
Get Cosmos, Use Cosmos, Love Cosmos
I said, no text!

EDIT: Oh yea, I am needed a good program like CloneCD, but it is no longer hosted at your link. Know of any mirrors?
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
I use Clone CD to make working copies of my Blizzard discs, but as Langolier reported, last time I tried to visit elby, their site was down.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."