Act 2 mercs
Quote:Notes: These guys are the most party friendly Hirelings because they share their Auras with all of the party, including Minions. The Aura the Hireling uses depends on the Difficulty level you were at and which type of Hireling you hired. You cannot control which of the available Auras the Hireling uses but normally they stick with one.
From the Arreat Summit.

Normally uses? Does that mean they can use others?
Actually what they mean is that you cannot order your Town Guard to, for example "SWITCH ON YOUR PRAYER, IMBECILE, I'M DYING HERE!" You can "choose" which aura by simply picking the appropriate merc, depending on the Difficulty(Normal and Hell Act 2 mercs are identical in aura, while those Nightmare are different)
Sidenote:

Act2 "offensive" (blessed aim) type "used" to be able to switch to Might after some level ups, and you had no control over whether they would put up Blessed or Might. Then Blizz patched the game, and changed auras based on difficulty.
So it could just be old (over looked) info.
Way back when, they used to have the normal and nightmare aura on the same merc, and the merc 'chose' which one to use, and switched at times. ppl found this annoying and it was changed. This is a relic of that change
>Way back when, they used to have the normal and nightmare aura on the same merc, and the merc 'chose' which one to use, and switched at times. ppl found this annoying and it was changed. This is a relic of that change

Speaking of way back when. I kind of miss those helm wearing Rogues.
Yeah, I know how it used to be. I just started to wonder if 1.10 changed it again. You would think Arreat Summit would have updated it by now.