Item Level
What is the "Item Level" that the Arreat summit refers to on some of their pages? Can someone explain how to find the item level of an item??

-Nantuko_Primus
[Image: KenyaSig.png]

[wcip Wrote:Angel,Jul 2 2004, 11:19 AM]
unrealshadow13,Jul 2 2004, 11:02 AM Wrote:I find that a sorceress serves me better when doing MF runs. I have yet to find a useful niche for werewolves... They are a slow killer (imo) and my old werewolf always got owned in pvp.
Does that mean someone else owns your werewolf? How is that possible? He's on *your* account, isn't he?
The ilvl of an item is an invisible (undisplayed) number determined when the item is spawned.

When an item comes from a monster, it's equal to the mlvl of that monster (usually based on the level of the area).

When an item is gambled, the ilvl is random from clvl - 5 to clvl + 4.

When an item is bought, the ilvl is clvl + 5 (based on the character who first spoke to the vendor to generate the inventory).

When an item is imbued, the ilvl is clvl + 4.

Various cube recipes can affect the ilvl. The AS page should have that information.

There's no legit way to see the ilvl of items. You just have to know where the item came from. Since the ilvl does affect a lot of things on the item, it could be possible to determine the ilvl by just examing all the stats, but this usually won't pinpoint the exact ilvl (just a range of possibilities), and it's complicated to do that.
If I get an item with ilvl 1 and try to socket it using the socket quest, will I still be able to get maximum amount of sockets or will it be limited by this ilvl of 1?
If you socket an ilvl 1 item, it'll get the maximum number of sockets such an item can have at ilvl 1. This is usually (not always) lower than what it would have at ilvl 40+.
Thanks, I had a feeling that it would be so =\
There are 2 limiting factors:

weapon type: small things like wands can't have as many sockets as big things, partly because the picture is too small. There is a specific number allowed for each type of weapon

weapon Class and ilvl: there are restrictions on each weapon class (eg axes) of low ilvl. There is one for weapons of 1-24 and one for weapons of 25-39 iirc. ilvl 40+ weapons are not restricted by this factor

If you say what weapon you are interested in someone should be able to tell you the possible socket range