Static/Orb Sorc
I tried posting at another board but i just got flamed. I want to get as many good items as fast as possible :D (doesn't everyone?) without gifts. So I read around, it seems as though sorceress is the best character to do this with and Static/Orb is the best combo of skills to use when doing this. Anyway, I just brought D2X a couple days ago and im totally clueless on how to build my sorc.

So i ask you guys/girls what is the most efficient way to build my character i.e. what stat points should i distribute where and what skills should i get?
First off, you'll need another damage skill if you want to be able to solo areas. Orb is a great primary skill, but Static can't kill Cold Immunes. You'll have to decide on another skill tree. I currently have a Orb/CL and a Orb/Fireball sorceress on the go, and both work very well. Other good secondary skills include Firewall, Meteor, Charged Bolt, Thunderstorm, and Nova. It's really up to you. All of them have their pros and cons.

Your "end build" will be something like this:

20 Orb (your main attack skill)
1-20 Cold Mastery (more points lowers non-cold immune's cold resist, you can get away with 1)
1-5 Static Field (5 is plenty, really)
1-10 Warmth (you may need more than 1 if you are going no-twink)
1 Teleport (easily the best "save my arse!" skill in the game - it's as good as it was in D1)
1 Energy Shield (not as good as D1's Mana Shield, but it's still worth a point)
20 [secondary attack skill]
20 [secondary attack skill's mastery]

You can also invest in a Cold Armor if you so choose.

As for stat points, this will work just fine:

100 Str (with +3 Str from gear or charms, you can wear an Archon Plate)
Base Dex (unless you want to use a Wizardspike)
100-150 Energy (it all depends on how fast your Mana pool refills)
Everything else goes into Vitality (you can never have enough Life)

That's a decent all-around Sorceress build. With it you can quest, level up, or magic find.

Things to remember while playing a low-level Sorceress:

- watch out for any +Mana items. These are like gold for a lowbie sorc.
- check out each and every staff and orb for skills. A +3 Firebolt/+3 Warmth would be a great find.
- Sapphires will be your friends. Socket any grade Sapphires you find into hats and jackets.
- put you first skill point into warmth and your first few stat points into energy. You'll have a severely limited Mana Pool for awhile. 1.10 is nice in that it allows you to buy mana pots, but it still sucks when you run out of mana during a tough battle.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure you'll get some more advice.

Quote: I tried posting at another board but i just got flamed.
That's just plain ridiculous. Newbie questions don't get flamed here. Welcome to the Lurker Lounge.
Advice eh, my dear fellow newzealander... play with me! yes thats about all the advice on sorcs I have, since they are silly. Casting their blehish spells all over the blehing place. Bleh. Gimme a sword or axe anyday.
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
Hello

First of all I am assuming you play Lord of Destruction. The static/Orb sorceresses used to rule the day back in classic; in LoD this is not the case anymore.

I suggest you follow your instincts.
Spend some time reading the skill descriptions, and make a "test" character. Try out which skills you like and which you don't (the consensus is that Orb, Blizzard, Meteor, Fireball, Hydra and Chain Lightning are the ones worth using at this day and age but they play VERY differently). When reading guides you have to keep in mind that everyone's preferences vary, and what might suit another player might be unsuitable for you. When you already know what skill suits you best, create a character that uses that skill.

Small skill description for the generally used skills:
  • ORB: does decent damage, is very easy to aim (hits easily), covers a LARGE area
    <>
  • BLIZZARD: does good damage (more than orb), but is harder to aim, have to practice using it, and it covers a mid-sized area
    <>
  • METEOR: the most damagning spell in the game, it is tricky to aim, need more practice than blizzard to use, but if you get it right it is easy to pull off
    <>
  • FIREBALL: extremely powerful, you don't have to wait between castings (not timered spell), but you have to target it and it has a smallish radius
    <>
  • HYDRA: only decent damage but viable since it is the easiest skill to use, offers MANY options (shooting around corners; killing things from a distance; killing things before you see them etc).
    <>
  • CHAIN LIGHTNING: does good average damage, but at times the very low minimum damage is a disadvantage. This is my personal favorite since it looks VERY good :)<>
    [st]
    The suggestion to use two skills only applies if you plan on playing alone. To have two skills that you can kill things with costs MANY skill points and will leave you with two weakish skills and frustrated.

Happy hunting!
    c.