Iron Golem Question
Inspired by this:

[Image: 124.jpg]

I decided to give a zookeeper necromancer a try. What I'm interested in knowing is this. Would it be worthwhile to make an Iron Golem out of a runeworded item like Beast or whatever, which grants an aura when worn? Also, if one is wearing more than one of these sorts of items(eg, beast and bramble or doom or something like that), will the auras both work together? :)

Edited to show the screenshot, less convenient for loading, but easier for those whose coms break down when running more than one IE window.
The auras will work together. Making an iron golem out of something that gives an aura isn't (IMHO) worth it, since if you lose the iron golem (fairly easy to do), you lose the rare item/runes.

Even worse than what is in that screenshot is a paladin. Wear some bramble armor (thorns) and use the charges of spirit of barbs (unless you have a Nature's Peace/Wisp Projector to get a different spirit). Equip the Azurewrath Phase Blade to get the pretty sparkles from Sanctuary. Get an exile shield (defiance). Put on a Metal Grid amulet to give you charges of iron golem. Make the iron golem out of a beast weapon (fanat). Get any act 2 merc except Normal/Hell Defensive (you have defiance), Nightmare Defensive (you'll get Holy Freeze from him anyway), or a Nightmare Combat (you have thorns). Equip him with a Doom polearm (Hand of Justice can be substituted to get holy fire instead). Activate any aura not mentioned, like Meditation or Salvation. And, for the double whammy, put a Call to Arms runeword weapon on the switch (Battle Orders, Battle Command). That is a total of 8 auras, 1 spirit, and 2 war cries, for a total of 9 different effects that are on everyone, and 1 effect on just you and 1 on the mercenary.. Now, if only there was 1 more armor and helm with an aura to put on the merc. :)
Too bad the new unique barbarian helm is the only other helm with an aura(I think). :P On the other hand, the barbarian can get Shout, and then tack on all of the above, giving the argh! There's a LOT of stuff you can do. :P Doesn't mean all of it is doable at present. :P
There aren't any helms that have an aura.
*whacks self* Dammit, we need a new category of items. :P
Does it get generated(item info is stored at moment of construction, then IG is "cast" with "invisible" mana when you log in the character in a game)again(at whatever skill level you may be at, inclusive of item bonuses) each time you start/join a new game? Or is it retained ala minion?
Well... Iron Golem sticks around as long as it doesn't die. You can take it from game to game, and it will retain the same properties/auras/etc. as when first cast. If you use high quality items, (4 diamond shield, runeword items, etc.) I'd recommend a high level of Golem Mastery in order to give it enough life for it to be a semi-permanent member of your force.

However, according to my sources the unique amulet (Metalgrid) allows you to cast a level 22 Iron Golem, but this golem dies as soon as you leave the game.
What I meant was, if for instance, you had no Summon Resist skill, summoned an Iron Golem, then pumped up Summon Resist, quit the game, and rejoin/join/create new game, would the Iron Golem get the bonus Resist?
I imagine that since SR is passive, it applies to all minions all the time. Maybe like an invisible aura, or something.

We'd need someone like Jarulf to look it up though.
Negative Turtle!
Hi

If you have a an IG as an assistant :D , he will always appear on the skill-level of the equipment you are wearing visibly!

IG supported bow/throwmancers always leave a game wearing their summon equipment !

good hunting

P.S. If you pump SR your new IG will get the advantge. On the other hand get a pala shield with Ancients Pledge or a few perfect diamonds, the results can be astonishing (for the newly summoned IG)!
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
So basically, what you're saying is that I will need a new IG to see any benefit from SR?
Your iron golem is recreated at the start of a game. And last I checked, summon resist only effects the minions you cast after putting points into it. So you can leave the game and then rejoin to get the benefits of your new points into Summon Resist.
Obi2Kenobi,Dec 13 2003, 02:07 PM Wrote:Your iron golem is recreated at the start of a game. And last I checked, summon resist only effects the minions you cast after putting points into it. So you can leave the game and then rejoin to get the benefits of your new points into Summon Resist.
That is the way I should have said it ;)

Pumping SR is only useful if you also employ skellies and/or revives,. If you decide to use only an IG and a merc, 1 point is usually enough when you create the IG from an item which has resists.
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Quote:Your iron golem is recreated at the start of a game.

THAT's the answer I've been looking for! :P

I'm pumping SR until about 50% Resist All anyway, so that I can concentrate on more "interesting" mods like "Aura when equipped" or "chance to cast X on/when struck/striking/attack", rather than "resist all"(although, come to think of it, I could always get the biggest paladin shield, socket it, and make that new paladin shield runeword for a Defiance IG, although I personally think that would be a waste. :) )

Question about revives now. Is their "leash" VERY short? More than once, I found myself having to recreate a new revive in only a minute or less, without any apparent damage that could have killed them. I wish one could revive non-super uniques or even certain super-uniques(just not Act Bosses, of course) More than once, I saw a powerful(for Normal) boss, like a Fanaticism-enchanted Frenzytaur, but sighed in disappointment when I couldn't revive it.
your making me tempted to find IG charges, to make myself a golem merc with an aura.
The wind has no destination.
Heiho,

Quote:If you have a an IG as an assistant :D , he will always appear  on the skill-level of the equipment you are wearing visibly!

last time I checked this the SR Bonus is not shown via the Unsummon 'skill'. Could be Beta, I'm not sure, in 1.09 it wasn't shown for sure.
But SR works in both 1.09 and 1.10final with Golems, regardless what the Unsummon function shows.

As for the question about Revives and their leash range, I'm pretty sure your hardware or connection quality has a role in this.
I myself loose permanently all Revives and even a more or less huge amount of Skels when I run around with no other FR/W boni than that from TO armor. A fellow Necro reported that he doesn't loose anycreature, at least never any Skel. With the same equip, that is.
My only solution is to change into the 'walk' mode, and I'm indeed still even slightly faster walking than my Skels (from what I can report with bnet and asynchronity and so on) with TO armor. And the Revives have a chance to come along with me.

Perhaps I'm utterly wrong, but there seems to have been some change with the FR/W functionality because with TO armor being a medium weight type I shouldn't run so fast with 40%FR/W, and I'm pretty sure I didn't in 1.109.

So that is maybe the point where a not-so-good connection with packet losses and suchlike comes into count, perhaps even the slightly recreated graphics engine of the game does dirty tricks here with some video cards.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
Hi

I created an IG in level 24, IG level 1, equipped my Necro with +skill wand and left the game with the wand shown, came back and the IG had the thorns aura which he only gets when he is level 2+

There was a thread over at the AB, by Dauragon I believe, explaining the mechanics.

As regards revives, it seems they have been dumbed down even more. With the new power of skellies and skellmages revives are something you really have to like to use them :rolleyes:

good hunting
Prophecy of Deimos
Heiho,

in 1.10 the IG has a thorns mechanism activated even at sLvl1. It shows the animation and deals in fact damage.
It is one of the tidbits seldom mentioned.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
librarian,Dec 16 2003, 02:10 PM Wrote:in 1.10 the IG has a thorns mechanism activated even at sLvl1. It shows the animation and deals in fact damage.
It is one of the tidbits seldom mentioned.
Hi

Thanks for telling me about that, this is the first I've heard.

On the Areat Summit it still says that he only gets the thorns aura when he is level 2 (unless the 100 in in the attack display should be in the line for the damage dealt by the thorns aura) :unsure:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/ne...summoning.shtml

I'll visit Kurast in the next few hours and have a look around.

good hunting
Prophecy of Deimos