fire absorb vs. fire resist
my necro is in hell, and he two choices.

1) 79% fire resist using a 27% fire resist ring OR
2) 57% fire resist using a 15% fire absorb ring instead

I would think number one would be the better route, but I don't really know the difference between the two.

Any help would be appreciated.

-darfür
Your numbers sound odd. 15%(not flat value, %) fire absorb equates to about 30% resist(you absorb 15% of the damage, and it heals you, thereby negating 15% of the remaining damage). So if you had some elemental resist charms, you could have max resistance(75-95%, depending on other stuff), and an additional 15% absorption to boot. You won't be immune, but you'd be taking pithy damage(unless the initial damage is very great, like several tens of thousands, due to bug+lucky roll of items for monster)
AtomicKitKat,Dec 10 2003, 05:44 PM Wrote:Your numbers sound odd. 15%(not flat value, %) fire absorb equates to about 30% resist(you absorb 15% of the damage, and it heals you, thereby negating 15% of the remaining damage).
That's misleading. Assuming the Resistances are still applied before absorption, the ad hoc 30% 'Resistance' is "30% of what ever is left after negotiating the 57%."

By my reckoning the net result works out to less than the 79% of the first option, so just based on those figures I'd go with the first one.

However, the Absorb ring sounds like The Dwarf Star Ring in which case you also have MDR to factor in . . . Decisions, decisions . . .

If it's Dwarf Star, then stick with that.

Edit: clarity
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
darfür,Dec 10 2003, 05:49 AM Wrote:my necro is in hell, and he two choices.

1) 79% fire resist using a 27% fire resist ring OR
2) 57% fire resist using a 15% fire absorb ring instead

I would think number one would be the better route, but I don't really know the difference between the two.

Any help would be appreciated.

-darfür
http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/absorb.html

Using the formula (8), we get that your alternative 2 equals to 69.9% resistance and 0% absorb. Thus, alternative 1 is superior. This is true as long as you are not subject to resistance lowering effects, though.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
Indeed, it is the Dwarf Star.

Yes, decisions, decisions.

-darfür
There are situations where it would be the inferior ring of the two, but mostly that Magic Damage Reduced by 15 (or whatever it is) works wonders against many Fire attacks and many Cold attacks, which are often lower damage attacks applied multiple times - Things like Baal's cold wedge and Flayer Shaman Inferno's.

It will also help a little against Bone Spirits and LEB sparks.

So it's really a tradeoff. Lose some Fire Resistance against the big fire hits in exchange for 15 points of immunity to Elemental and Magic Damage.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I'm pretty sure Flayershamans don't use the same inferno as Sorcs. I've seen many cases where a character with decent(50%) resists and MDR(5 or so) have died, in NORMAL, after 2 hits from the inferno(roughly 130-150 points in the first hit, another 130-150 in the next) They shoot 2 streams, if memory serves, and only one of the streams is affected by all the MDR etc.
A while back, Adamantine pointed out that FetishInferno2 is not used by the game.
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics