So you'v been having bad dreams lately
:unsure: Hi Lurkers and Non Lurkers
I've been obeying the name of the site and lurking around quite a bit. I decided to break my long term silence to ask a stupid question.

I created a single player game at the nightmare level, just for the fun of it I entered the level one dungeon as a virgin rogue, saw the difficulty i faced, and scurried back to town like a scalded rat.

I can see how a mage might just survive, since he has two fairly powerful spells to begin with, but what techniques are available to the macho meleer, or the adorable archer, so that they can survive and prosper in a nightmare? Or is it even possible?

Is there some means of placing a seasoned singleplayer into a higher difficulty singleplayer game?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Warren (no signature yet)
Well, in my experience the key point is to be able to kill the first enemy (I've only done new characters to hell though), since that gives you enough experience to leap 5 levels (less in NM) and gives you a hefty amount of stat points to allocate in dexterity.

What has worked for me? Start a new game, see if our blacksmith friend has a bow of the flame for sale, go to the church, run like a headless chicken going after chests to pick up gold, then up to town and buy a decent offensive scroll (charged bolt for example) or that hypotetical bow of the flame. If you get stuck in the church after you pick up all you can, save and start a new game.

Give the mage a try, that staff of his has enough charges to get him over level 10 after the first mob he encounters :)
Hi,

Definitely in hell, and probably in nightmare, a new character using melee attacks has no chance. But ranged attacks work fine, especially if the attacked can't get to you. Stair trapping works on all (IIRC) the monsters on level 1 church. Offhand I don't remember how many levels a character gains for the first few kills in hell (and I don't think I ever even knew for nightmare), but I do remember that sometime while clearing level 1, melee attack became possible.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

:) hi lurkers,
thx people. I thought a mage might make it, but i appreciate the tips on a rogue. i'll try it again, when i become more experienced as a rogue. Right now i would be squashed like the first person on line at a walmart.
luking around corners,
malach cha movis
(no sig yet)