Lost quest items
OK, so my Necromancer was progressing well through act 2 in nightmare. He had managed to combine the staff of kings (or whatever it is called). While being in a normal difficulty game, he temporarilly decided to drop it to pick up as much other items to bring to town to identify. WHen he got back, it was impossible to pick it up again. :( What a stupid thing. Is it always like that? That one can't drop quest items? Do I know have to go through act 2 again picking up the pieces? or is there some other way?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
It's a new "feature" of 1.10. :angry:

A thread about it is here.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Kartoffelsalat,Dec 12 2003, 10:56 PM Wrote:It's a new "feature" of 1.10.  :angry:

A thread about it is here.
OK, thanks. That means going through that worm hole AGAIN with the skeletons and such all blocking each other and taking forever :(
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Erm. This isn't new. It happened to me a long long time ago. It's definantly something you do only once. :P

Oh and Jarulf all you need is someone to open the tomb for you, most people seeking rushes make games like "I have staff" just wait for them to open the tomb.
Kartoffelsalat,Dec 12 2003, 05:56 PM Wrote:It's a new "feature" of 1.10.  :angry:
It is not a "new" feature. I did this very thing with my first character back in version 1.00 (the character was also a necro by the way). Since you have already completed the quest in normal difficulty; you are not allowed to pick up the components for the quest again. There is no check at this point for the difficulty that the items actually came from because in the earlier versions for which the code was first written, there was not any difficulty information saved with the quest items.

To Jarulf, the only thing that I can suggest is to join a game where the group is doing the last part of the act 2 quests and assist them in getting to act 3. Duriel is notorious for dropping junk, so loosing the items to the pubies should not really be major deterent in this case. Besides, with the way the quest drops are bugged, you could just go back from act 3 and kill him again to get another 'first-kill' quest drop from him again if you wanted.
*edit* I just reread the post, and noticed the part about going into normal difficulty. :unsure:
Obi2Kenobi,Dec 12 2003, 11:35 PM Wrote:But wouldn't that prevent you from picking up the staff pieces at all?
Once you've finished Act II in Normal (well, gotten credit for putting the staff where the sun don't shine), you cannot pick up either the pieces or the completed staff in a Normal diffculty game. When you enter a Nightmare game, then things depend on your Nightmare quest status. Same goes for Khalim's squishy bits (yes, and the flail, too).

Hmm. That implies that a staff or viper amulet dropped in Act III or later can never be picked up by anyone.

Jarulf, if your Necro happens to be on USWest, instead of Europe, I can fix you up.

Random thought: I wonder if the staff or completed staff would work in the savage polearm recipe?

-- CH

(edit - fix typoes)
May be a day or two though.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Random thought: I wonder if the staff or completed staff would work in the savage polearm recipe?

Yes. They both count as staff for this purpose. Why you'd want to use the quest item for such a purpose is beyond me, though ;).
adeyke,Dec 12 2003, 08:21 PM Wrote:Yes.  They both count as staff for this purpose.  Why you'd want to use the quest item for such a purpose is beyond me, though ;).
Because mine is red, worthless and can't be sold for gold or traded. Add a diamond and 200 gold worth of crap, and get a chance at a nice polearm. Unless, of course, you can't use red staves for anything.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Ah. I'd probably just drop and be rid of it.

I would suggest using it and a stack of bolts to get arrows, but they fixed that.

You can also "upgrade" it to a hand axe, FWIW.
Interestingly enough, I was able to pick up the Hellforge Hammer AFTER completing the quest. Admittedly, I used someone else's HH to complete the quest(they'd left it on the ground in a pubbie game where I was helping a necro, which turned into a Rush to Act 5. I was the only one who survived all 4 Act Bosses, up to and including Diablo himself in P6-8. Then again, not surprising for a skelliemancer. :D)
Thanks everyone, but I have replayed the areas and put together my staff again. Next is Arcane Sanctuary but I have not had time to play much lately.

My character is on the Europea realm by the way.
There's some weird stuff going on with quest items from Acts 2 and 3.

I've been able to enter Act 3 whilst holding the staff in stash and wearing the amulet: I got the "speak to Meshif" message and thought what the heck. Resurfacing in Act 3, I've had an immediate "speak to Alkor" and, what do you know, he wants to give my assassin a life potion. At other times, I've been in games where one of the party has disconnected between Acts yet they can complete the Bird quest after rejoining and I can't.

The Act 3 side quest items used to be transferable between difficulty levels which meant there was an extra smelly cheesy way to avoid the Hell Ruined Temple stair trap. That's not possible any more but that doesn't prevent you from deliberately not completing the quests with a powerful character so that a weaker variant can pick up the unused drop. Still cheesy but the same trick can be used for Hell Forge rune runners.

And of course there's nothing to prevent you twinking Act 1 characters with a spare staff, flail and cube. For some reason, there's no limit to how many cubes you can collect during a lifetime which is why all my mules have one even though they've never been outside of town.
That's nothing. I once was in Durance 1 (after missing the High Council quest), and people that I was partied with killed Mephisto, and I got credit for it. Then, I went to act 4 (I had to have someone show me the way to Durance 3, since I couldn't go through a TP (no High Council), and I had credit for Diablo. Unfortunately, Tyreal wouldn't open me a portal. So I had to have someone else open me one, so I still had to help kill Diablo. :P
Obi2Kenobi,Dec 15 2003, 09:02 AM Wrote:...I had credit for Diablo. Unfortunately, Tyreal wouldn't open me a portal. So I had to have someone else open me one, so I still had to help kill Diablo. :P
Did you first try accessing the Harrogath Waypoint destination from the Pandemonium Fortress Waypoint?

Or simply click on Tyreal and choose "Travel to Harrogath"?
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.