Diablo's LBOD & Others
[Note: the writer is very good at being wrong]

I remember seeing a discussion (although there have been many) about this, with no-one coming to a conclusion.

I haven't either, but I found two things of interest:

Missiles.txt's columns InitSteps and Activate

[This pertains to testing with Blessed Hammer]

The first (InitSteps), controls the number in frames* before the missile graphic/sound starts. It does not however effect when it can hit anything.

For example I've noticed that Blessed Hammer can hit before the graphic starts, and it has a 6 here. Putting 0 here instead for it, the graphic starts in the middle of the paladin, and explains being able to directly hit a target underneath you if you're close enough.

Then Activate - this affects when the missile starts effecting anything (in frames*), putting 20 here (BH had 0) makes it do/hit nothing in the beginning, the hammer graphic isn't animated either untill the Activate time has elapsed.

* The number in frames I'm not sure of, it could be related to missile movement speed, and whatever the tiles per sec/frame formula is it just confuses me.

Now I won't mention every missile which has InitSteps, since it's over 600.

Activate though:

30 death mauler
03 lightunique [Lightning Enchanted charged bolt]
03 chargedstrikebolt [Ama skill]
03 buglightning [Beetle charged bolt]
02 fistoftheheavensbolt [The holy bolts]
02 rabiescontagion
01 bladefragment1
01 bladefragment2
01 bladefragment3

The holy bolts from FoH has as seen 2 here, without this (ie a 0 instead) the bolts can hit the FoH target directly, which would of made it pretty good. <_<

Death Mauler's attack evidently takes 1.2 secs to hit a target, and has been mentioned before, multiple amount of these missiles can only affect a target every 0.4 secs (NextDelay=10).

bladefragment is used by Blade Fury, this is a really complicated/weird skill though (uses 6 missiles), and you don't really use it in melee range, so it doesn't matter.

[Edit] Grrr. I meant to post this in the Workshop.
Quote:Now the strange thing is Diablo's LBOD, I was unable to spawn him anywhere with help of levels.txt, so I had to run all the way to Chaos Santuary.

Change the rarity in monstats.txt from a 0 to a 1 and you should be able to spawn him else where.
Didn't Ruvanal calculate the minimum range for diablight from that entry suspiciously named "minimum range" before? :lol: I think he said something about the 30 value being calculated as map room units and not normal gameplay tiles, but I forgot to ask further about it. The conclusion was that the minimum range was about 2 or 3 tiles from the center of Diablo if I recall correctly.
[Useless babbling about Diablos LBOD in this post]

[Edit #2] Actually, nevermind what I said in regards to anything Diablo. Setting it to 100 makes the skill never do any damage, and I'd forgotten I put InitSteps to 0. With it to 1 the skill is invisible untill it's red goeey, in which case it's over the 30 range (as specified in the range field) and eventhough there's the lightning sparkle sound, I take no damage.

I'll stick to non-complicated skills, thankyou.

------------------------------------------------------------

[Cut from original post]

Now the strange thing is Diablo's LBOD, I was unable to spawn him anywhere with help of levels.txt, so I had to run all the way to Chaos Santuary.

This skill (called diablight) has 0 in Activate, and 1 in InitSteps, so with my BH testing it should mean the graphic doesn't start directly from him, but the effect (damage) should < But as has been mentioned, there's a "safety range". I changed InitSteps to 0 anyhow.

When I summoned him finally . . . the graphic started from the center from him, and I took damage being just near. I don't feel like running all the way there and change a setting or two, so that's all the testing for now.

Of note is I could use Charge at this point too (over and over) vs Diablo, my character didn't move but I got the graphic/sound.

------------------------------------------------------------

Zath,Dec 15 2003, 01:19 AM Wrote:Didn't Ruvanal calculate the minimum range for diablight from that entry suspiciously named "minimum range" before? :lol:
Putting 1 in rarity still didn't make him spawn. He did spawn once before, but I have no idea how that happened.

Putting the "minimum range" field to 100 though produced that effect. It's not red fluffy anymore, and as you might see I could stand there taking no damage.

I still don't know enough about these things, but the NextDelay + InitSteps + Minimum Range could work together if it's specified such (in what's referred to as "funcs" which aren't explained anywhere).

[Edit] I suppose it's like (whatever) Ruvanal said. With 100 I had to run ~2 screens away before it started to do damage. That's also when it got that red squishy look.
adamantine,Dec 14 2003, 12:05 PM Wrote:...The holy bolts from FoH has as seen 2 here, without this (ie a 0 instead) the bolts can hit the FoH target directly, which would of made it pretty good. <_< ...
With a caveat: the Holy Bolts would get soaked up by the target (if Undead) and there would be no Holy bolt burst. If the target is not Undead, the bolts will go through it and outwards, but then why bother setting range to 0?

Some people may like the 1 Undead that get crunched by the Fist if set to your sugesstion, but others would definitely like the scatter pattern of Undead baddies that would have been hit in the otherwise fashion.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Dec 15 2003, 08:43 PM Wrote:... the Holy Bolts would get soaked up by the target ...
They pierce through targets as of the Final patch.
this is the explantion for the lightning hose just going through without dammage in the 1.10 beta?
The wind has no destination.