LotR: RotK
Quote:(I chewed bum at the theatre,

Ewww.

Quote:it kept me in my seat the whole time.)

Kept you on your bum, eh? Nyuk nyuk nyuk.
Quote:I chewed bum at the theatre, it kept me in my seat the whole time.

Whose bum were you chewing? :D

Edit: To include emoticons and see Van make a post just before I did... darn hestitation!!! I could've made nyuks too! But I see we have the same taste in humour hehehe
Quote:To include emoticons and see Van make a post just before I did... darn hestitation!!!

Uh, you hesitated for 24 hours???

Quote:darn hestitation!!!

Hestitation - n. the mental confusion and absence of movement that results when certain mammalian body parts are better observed by remaining still than by following the previously planned course of action.

...yeah, darn hestitation, always makes me feel like a bumbling teenager again.
12 not 24. Durn AM's and PM's. Why can't we all just get along on a 24 hour clock?

Still, I think 12 hours is a long time to get yer post ready. And 12 hours to hestitate, well, you might get arrested for that.
My browser didn't hit automatic refresh fast enough, and I have no sense passing time. Honestly, my web browser did not refresh the page.

12 hours to hestitate, pshaw. That's nothing. A lotta college students hesititate a good 2-3 years for their major... and some people all their lives for "what I want to do when I grow up" I'll charge up the hill and raise the flagpole of Hestitation!

I didn't hestitate one time, in meeting and greeting the young woman who is now the girlfriend and contrary to my fortune--- I've never regretted it.
I chewed Gum, wow, what a fun typo that turned out to be, but I suppose I was hoping for a more interesting evening with my date, the dear and long suffering Mrs Occhi, were it not for the significant fact that we brought the young'ns along. Alas, and all that, so much for the days when going to a movie meant trying to inhale the air out of the lungs of one's date in the back row via the lip lock maneuver.

I suppose we all grow up, and grow old in our time . . . damnit!!!!
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Dec 31 2003, 07:09 AM Wrote:I suppose we all grow up, and grow old in our time . . . damnit!!!!
I can't believe you really believe that. You seem to enjoy life far too much to ever call yourself "grown up". What would life be without the kid in us? Who would play with all the toys and games the grown up us works for? The grown up us just has to plan our "spontaneity" and fun so our inner kid can enjoy life for us. B)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Red Handed! Cuff me officer, I guess it was not my day to get away with one. Of course there is still kid in me, my kids bring in out in me.

Now, where was that balloon filled with helium I just had in my hand???
In Memory of Pete
I just saw the movie and have to say it is a fantastic movie! I'm going to go see it again this week! There were a few scenes I felt unresolved about and I hope are expounded upon in the extended version of the film. There were also some things that bothered me:

1.) Faramer (sp?) and his father at the very end. How did Faramer feel after his father tried to murder him and then got burned alive? There was such a freekin build up of that scene, that I was really let down that Faramer didn't do some type of self-reflection. The next and last scene you see with him is with Aowen (sp?).

2.) The undead soldiers (their racial/clan name eludes me) just seemed to "happen". The way the entire series had gone so far with so much detail and though put into each encounter it seemed a shame to waste it with a quick hello/leave you hanging the way it was done. Not to mention you didn't see how the pirate ships were taken over (which I’m sure will be in the extended version). However, I really disliked the way they looked when attacking; they didn't look real at all IMO. Not to mention if you looked closely, the AI of the orcs was terrible when reacting to the undead; most of the time they just stood there or started to retreat then stopped, standing there with their back facing the undead – totally unrealistic!

3.) The scene with Gandolf and Merry sitting there in the highest and final part of the city knowing they were going to die was cheesily shoved aside when the undead ascended the walls of the human city and killed all the orcs on the way. Then suddenly you see Gandolf and Merry at the bottom of the city helping Pippen with no personal resolve as to the fact that they just narrowly escaped death. WTF was that? If they don't elaborate on this in the extended version I'm going to cry!

4.) The music was "epic" in tone, but not exactly anything memorable or awe-inspiring. I felt very let down by the music in this movie. I think were trying to make the old music sound better by basically "upgrading" it to epic status, such as the music for Gondar or the elves.

5.) I didn't get that epic battle/hopeless feeling I felt with the Two Towers in the battle for Helms Deep, yet this battle was suppose to be much more significant. When Aragon became king, I expected him to address the rest of the humans or for them to acknowledge him as king or something. When the knights of Rohan and Gondor gathered to attack the black gates and give the hobbits some extra time, I didn't think the knights of Gondor would just blindly follow someone they don't even know, so a little more personal interaction here would of been extremely nice, not to mention necessary. Also, in regards to #3, the battle scenes were beautiful, but the battle itself was less than extraordinary and felt more chaotic than anything. Other than catapults and Gandolf, I really didn’t get a sense of an army versus orcs; it was more like Gandolf and the catapults versus the orcs with zero personality/actor paid emotion-lacking dummies doing the fighting.

6.) I really liked how in the cartoon version, when Frodo is atop mount doom contemplating throwing the ring into the lava, his face gets pail and when he turns around and throws his head back he looks damn evil! In the movie, he throws his head back and looks menacing, but not evil. I was slightly disappointed about that.

Some things I did like very much were:

1.) The general meaning behind this film: no matter what others think about you, if you try your hardest, it just may be enough to make a difference; i.e. Aowen (sp? - the Rohan kings niece) when she kills the black knight; Pippen and Merry when they battle; Sam for battling the spider and orcs; etc.

2.) The way they did the entire story was just magnificent! I give it up to Peter Jackson for a truly epic series that I will own on DVD and watch with my kids. He's got my money :D
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Jan 3 2004, 10:05 PM Wrote:There were also some things that bothered me:
Yeah, when I say the film events seem random, then perhaps it is best compared to a show like buffy the vampire slayer

eg:

LotR: Undead army just happens to become available in the movie where they are needed, same with eagles etc, but never mentioned before.

BtVS: Faith returns after 5(?) seadon absence, Amy is transmuted from rat form after 5(?) seasons (also Druscilla, Spike, Angel, Giles, Reilly), the 'Dawn' plot arc where buffy seems to get a sister that is never mentioned (i.e. seems random at first), but this is a deliberate part of the seasons overarching plot. Damn I miss that show.
How about when Buffy mentions in the last season Xander's "kick his ass"-comment from season 2! I had been waiting for that confrontation for 5 seasons, and there it finally was.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
1.) Oh, he surely loved it. Plot got cut down, unfortunatly.
2.) They are ghosts, and you are complaining they "didn't look real"? ;)
3.) Soldiers fight on when they survive. BTW, who is Gandolf?
4.) The music is not very well done, I agree. While in part 1 there are some great pieces, in part 2, there are still some good pieces (and the Emiliana Torrini-song) part 3 reharshes old themes most of the time.
5.) Sieges are most of the time "catapults against walls".
6) Frodo wasn't evil in this moment, he only has lost the power to resist the Ring.
Quote:Faramer (sp?) and his father at the very end. How did Faramer feel after his father tried to murder him and then got burned alive? There was such a freekin build up of that scene, that I was really let down that Faramer didn't do some type of self-reflection. The next and last scene you see with him is with Aowen (sp?)

Okay, here's the scene we missed cuz it was cut out:

[SCENE RESTORED TO EXTENDED VERSION]
[SCENE: The House of Healing. Faramir is getting out of bed. The Healer attends to him.]

Faramir: Hey, I've been in this House of Healing for a week and nobody's told me what happened.

Healer: I guess it is time.

Faramir: So.... um... what.... um.... what happened?

H: Denethor died.

F: Bummer.

H: So you are now Steward.

F: Cool!

H: But the King has Returned, and the Stewardship is ending.

F: Bummer.

H: But there's this princess chick in the next room named Eowyn, she needs some, uh, healing, and she likes you!

F: Cool!

[AND HERE'S THE REMAINDER OF THE SCENE, CUT FROM ALL VERSIONS]

H: And here she is now. Lord, this is the Lady Eowyn -

[Enter Eowyn.]

F: Hi!

H: ...Princess of Rohan-

F: I'm Faramir!

H: Slayer of the Witch King-

F: Hush, you! Lady, want to watch sunrise on the battlements?

H: Ferrier of Hobbits-

F: WHAT??

Eowyn: Just once, I swear. Maybe twice. He rode in front, and we were both wearing armor.

F: Okay then. Let's go... hey, if you're Princess of the horse people, should I call you Mare?

E: Neigh.

[END SCENE]
Son asked me this as I tucked him into bed:

"What happened to the rings that Sauron gave the Dwarf Lords?"

Anyone here know, off the top of their heads? Otherwise, I will research so I can tell him and then post the answer here too.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

From the Encyclopedia of Arda http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm :

[Entry: "Rings of Power"]

Eregion was a land founded by the Noldor in the eighth century of the Second Age. Their leader was Celebrimbor, the grandson of Fëanor himself, and their skill and smithwork became famous throughout Middle-earth. In about the year II 1200, they began to receive emissaries from a mysterious stranger calling himself Annatar, who offered them even greater knowledge of their arts. Despite warnings from Gil-galad and Elrond, they accepted Annatar's offer, and he came to Eregion to teach them.

For three hundred years the Mírdain - as the Jewel-smiths of Eregion were known - studied at Annatar's side, and learned the making of magical rings. In about the year II 1500, the first of the Rings of Power was forged. Over the following decades, with Annatar's help, the Elves made sixteen Rings of Power, each set with a gemstone. Both the Elves and Annatar had their own secret aims, though, and each forged work of their own. Celebrimbor and the Elves made Three Rings more powerful than the others, Narya, Nenya and Vilya, the Rings of Fire, Water and Air.

Unknown to the Mírdain, 'Annatar' was none other than the Dark Lord Sauron. In the fires of Mount Doom in the dark land of Mordor, he forged a Ring of his own, to enslave the holders of the other Rings of Power. Filled with much of his own native power, this was the Ruling Ring, the One Ring that would make him Lord of all the Rings. But Sauron had not reckoned on the Elves forging their own Rings of Power; as he took up the One Ring for the first time, they became aware of it, and took off their own Rings to foil his ambition.

Sauron in his anger swept out of Mordor with a great army. The land of Eregion was overwhelmed and destroyed and Celebrimbor was slain. The Three Rings of the Elves had already been sent away, but the Dark Lord claimed the remaining Rings of Power1. Nine of these he used to subvert nine Men to his cause; this was the origin of the Nazgûl or Ringwraiths. Seven he gave to the Dwarves with the same purpose, though with much less success, as the Dwarves proved resistant to their magic.

Centuries later, at the end of the Second Age, Sauron fell in the War of the Last Alliance. Isildur cut the Ring from Sauron's hand, but he was lost in the River Anduin, and the Ruling Ring was lost with him. So the Elves could once again use the power of their Three Rings, as they did through the Third Age. At last, the One Ring was found again, and Sauron's quest to retrieve it resulted in the War of the Ring. Ultimately, the Ring was destroyed in the place where Sauron had forged it nearly five thousand years earlier. With that, the remaining Rings of Power, including even the Elves' Three Rings, lost the power they had held.

[Then a sidebar:]

There was a tradition among the Dwarves of Durin's Folk that Celebrimbor had already given them one of the Rings of Power before Sauron attacked. At this time, Durin's Folk still lived in their ancient home of Khazad-dûm, neighbouring Eregion to the east, and there was great friendship between the Elves and the Dwarves. According to the Dwarves, Celebrimbor gave a Ring as a gift to the then King of Khazad-dûm, Durin III. Hence, Sauron would have recovered fifteen of the Rings, not all sixteen.

[Entry: "Seven Rings"]

Those of the Rings of Power that Sauron gave to the Dwarves to seduce them to his service. The Dwarves proved too hardy to be lured in this way, though, and the Rings did little more than increase their native lust for gold. By the end of the Third Age, Sauron had recovered three of the Seven Rings to himself, and the other four had been consumed by dragons.

[Entry: "Ring of Thrór"]

The first of the Seven Dwarf-rings to be forged, and the last to be recovered by Sauron. It was originally given to King Durin III of Khazad-dûm by the Elves of Eregion, and it remained in his line for thousands of years until it was inherited by Thrór, the King under the Mountain at Erebor. It was during Thrór's reign that Smaug descended on Erebor and drove the Dwarves into exile. Long after Erebor's destruction, Thrór passed the Ring to his son Thráin, who dwelt for many years as an exile from his ancient home. At last, Thráin set out on his own ill-fated Quest of Erebor, but he was captured by the spies of Sauron, and the Ring of Thrór was lost.
You are a hero Van.

Nothing like being asked a question as you put them to bed and having an answer for them when they wake up in the morning. :D
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

The Necromancer of Dol Guldur (aka Sauron) held Thrain prisoner, took his ring, and basically abused him. Gandalf discovered this when he snuck into the Necromancer's lair a little while before Bilbo went off Smaug Hunting, since it was Thrain who gave to Gandalf the key that opened the secret door on the Lonely Mountain . . .
In Memory of Pete
This particular hero made the personal choice to sit in a chair in a sedentary fashion, and answer your query, rather than exercise to lose some excess weight. Please keep that in mind next time you judge an overweight person. B)

Back to the book: If you read Appendix A of Lord of the Rings (usually placed after the end of Return of the King) you'll find all this info and more. You may want to skip the kings and stewards sections (a bit dry) and go to the "Durin's Folk" entry. When you're done with dwarves go back and find the pages dealing with the war with Angmar. This will explain the Barrows on the Downs, and give you some history on head of the Nazgul, aka the Witch-King of Angmar. For years, I'd make the mistake of reading the Numer. kings section first, get bored and quit. There are even interesting parts of the language sections too. You'll also find what brought Thorin and Gandalf together, and the reason Gandalf wanted Thorin to try to take out Smaug.
I'm assuming you're the same Shadow that's in that other Gris-mod'ed forum. If not, you're probably very puzzled about the sedentary thing, to which I apologize and say never mind. If you are such person, then so be it! :lol: (a gut laugh from a Jolly One)
On all counts :o

I will do my utmost to remember that when I next experience one of those knee-jerk reactions.

And my thanks again, O Jolly One. There have been many of the 'let us stretch out bedtime and have discussions about something Mom will be sufficiently interested in to let us get away with it' sessions of late that centred on the LotR. Next time they have me stumped I will review the appendices. B)
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.