The "Magic Find "-Guide for Diablo II LOD 1.10
Greetings!

I have just completed my "The "MAGIC FIND"-Guide for Diablo II LOD 1.10" (in German: "Der kleine "MAGIC FIND"-Fuehrer für Diablo II LOD 1.10") for a 1.10 Guide-Contest that currently takes place on a German fan site. It is written completely in German language, but if you are in command of it, you may want to take a peek here:

"Diablo II 'Magic Find' Guide (English Version)"

Have fun reading the guide, or as we say here in Germany: "Viel Spass beim Lesen!" :D
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
This is mostly readable using Altavista's babelfish translation. Just copy the web address into the field on the form and change the language to German to English.

Hope this helps.
SDCougar
First of all: Nice guide, well done. Now some nit-picks. ;)

1) in the section where you describe qlvls and the like you claim that the collosus blade is "the best". The balrog blade has the same damage but is a tad bit faster. So I dare to disagree. It has the highest qlevel, but that's about it.
2) What's the "Entwickler" class? I only play the english version so I don't know ... ;)
3) In your listing of the different areas it's chaos sanctuary. (Very tiny nit, I know)
4) In our equipment discussion you might like to add sets like angelic's halo plus 2 other items from the set (50%mf per ring) or the tancred's weird (plus hobnails for example) combo. They are nice easy to get starter stuff.
5) Your argument "denn die besten Items des Spiels werden irgendwann so selten (Chancen in Tausendstel- bzw. Zehntausendstel-Prozent Bereichen), dass die MF-Chance immer weniger spürbaren Einfluss hat." is off. your MF still increases the chance to get said item by the same value as lower items. And since those high level items drop so seldom you really want to get a good itme out of this rare drop so I'd say your MF becomes even more important in those cases. Know what I mean?

Good luck with the contest!
Thanks for the comments :)

Quote:2) What's the "Entwickler" class? I only play the english version so I don't know ...
The "Entweiher" class is the "Defiler" class, i.e. "Putrid Defiler" etc.

Quote:5) Your argument "denn die besten Items des Spiels werden irgendwann so selten (Chancen in Tausendstel- bzw. Zehntausendstel-Prozent Bereichen), dass die MF-Chance immer weniger spürbaren Einfluss hat." is off. your MF still increases the chance to get said item by the same value as lower items. And since those high level items drop so seldom you really want to get a good itme out of this rare drop so I'd say your MF becomes even more important in those cases. Know what I mean?
Yes, but I wanted to make sure the relations. If, for example, an item has just 1/50,000 chance to drop, then you'll hardly notice a difference between 200% or 300% MF (in 1.10). The difference IS still there, of course, but it's much less notable :)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
By the end of today's evening, one of the bosses in "The Pit - Level 2" was nice enough to drop unique Feral Claws ("Firelizard's Talons") with 249% ED and +3 Martial Arts :D

[Image: D2X_110_LAD_Firelizards_Talons.jpg]
Quote:Yes, but I wanted to make sure the relations. If, for example, an item has just 1/50,000 chance to drop, then you'll hardly notice a difference between 200% or 300% MF (in 1.10). The difference IS still there, of course, but it's much less notable

there is the important distinction between the improved chance from eq, vs the improved chance from repeted clears and a high kill speed....
The wind has no destination.
My babblefish translation seems to only work for the first quarter of the guide :angry:

I feel strangely inspired to learn German...

Thus far the guide seems like an excellent one and once I either learn German or translate it I'll give you some comments :)
I have a poor command of german, yet I found it easier to read the original than the translation.
I was actually glad when Babelfish gave up :)
Yes, German is a great, complicated language with lots of fine details ;)
nobbie,Dec 16 2003, 06:02 PM Wrote:Thanks for the comments :)

Hehe, welcome. I even got more: I really like the way you wrote the guide - I really get sick of the constant use of bad Denglish. Your guide is a nice exception.

Quote:Yes, but I wanted to make sure the relations. If, for example, an item has just 1/50,000 chance to drop, then you'll hardly notice a difference between 200% or 300% MF (in 1.10). The difference IS still there, of course, but it's much less notable :)
I understand your argument but it has nothing to do whether the itme has a 1/10 chance or a 1/100000000 chance to drop. Your MF will increase both values by the same percentage. Albeit the second value will be considerably lower, indeed. But a 1/1,000,000 chance instead of a 1/2,000,000 still means that your chances have doubled.
But I think we both know what the other person wants to emphasize. ;)
That website only translated the beginning, which left out most of the guide, lol.

Anyways quick question: Meph is still good for MF'ing right? So should I run meph or the 85+ areas?

Thanks for the link nobbie.
Bloodstar6078 @ USWest
ブラッドスター
Meph is still good, but I never liked Meph runs :)
Nobbie,

If you dont mind my asking, what skills does your Amazon use?
First Mausoleum run today - "Aldur's Deception" Shadow Plate :D

[Image: D2X_110_Mausoleum_Items.jpg]

This is her curent (naked) skilling, now back to Windforce from M'avina's :)

Clvl: currently 92

Magic Arrow: 13 (= zero Mana costs, 13% physical->magical dmg conversion, zero Mana MA against PI's is great with the "Hellrack" (on her 2nd weapon switch))
MS: 14 (= 15 arrows)
GA: 1
Strafe: 6 (= 10 targets)
FA: 1 (as stopper on the left mouse button)

D/A/E: 6/4/6 (= 40%/41%/40%)
CS: 11 (= 58%)
Penetrate: 5 (= +75% AR bonus, 10+ points planned here)
Pierce: 10 (= 71%)
Valkyrie: 20

Jab: 1 (in case I want to use a Spear)

She has a +1 Passive/Magic skill charm and is wearing a "Chains of Honor" Archon Plate with +2 to all skills and 25% MF. Additional resists as well as Cannot Be Frozen come from the "Tira's Guardian" Tiara, socketed with a perfect Topaz for 24% MF. Gloves and Boots are from the IK set, giving 25% IAS, AR, Life, Str, Dex, 40% Faster Run and 25% MF, incl. the 2-item set bonuses. The Belt is an upgraded "Goldwrap" (Battle Belt) with 30% MF and now 16 instead of just 12 potion slots. Ring 1 is a Nagelring with 30% MF and Ring 2 a Life Leech Ring with 85 Mana and resists. She has a 36% MF "Gheed" Charm and an additional 7% MF Small Charm. Her bow is a 8% ML Windforce, which provides all necessary Mana Leech and which allows her to solo 8-player Pit runs quite fast and efficiently. I think a Buriza should do it, but of course not as fast as with WF. "Hellrack" might be better.
Unique Mancatcher ("Viperfork") with 231% ED from "The Pit - Level 1" a bit later today, plus a superior, 8% enhanced defense 4-socket Sacred Armor. But HOLY, the mobs down there were terrific during that run! :D

[Image: D2X_110_LAD_Viperfork.jpg]
Nobbie,

I've been wanting to make a magic find character for a while now but I still am undecided. I actually have a magic find summoning necromancer right now, but he doesnt really work too well (yet). My main goal for him would be getting an Enigma runeword for him (it regroups minions). Maybe I should make another MF character to get items to make him better :blink:

Obviously you didn't start with all that excellent equipment your amazon is wearing...Did you find it all yourself, or are you a clever trader? If so, can you give me some advise for getting equipment?

Is there an abundance of good items on your runs? I can see that you do find some excellent elite items, but do you find a good deal of exceptional unqiues, and decent items too? I tend to wonder if boss runs could be more fruitful for finding good items quickly.

Also, where did you find or what did you trade for the Ber rune in your armor? I could really use one for that Enigma :D

As for MF amazons, whats your opinion on alternatives to penetrate? You could concievably have a blessed aim mercenary and pump strafe for damage. OR, you could go with Inner Sight (a very underestimated skill) instead of penetrate. Then of course you could even get an act1 rogue mercenary for Inner Sight.

Do you find that your valkyrie dies often, sometimes, or never? Oh and lastly, could you post your amazon's strength/dex/vitality stats?

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of these questions!
All stuff ony my Amazon except one IST rune was found by me. The BER rune is from Eldritch. The items I find are usually a good mix from exceptional to elite, plus charms, runes and jewels. Boss runs, i.e. Pindle/Eldritch, give good items quicker. But I'm pretty much fed up with these, that's why I make level 84/85 area runs now :) I would always use a Might Merc on an Amazon and dump some points into Penetrate if AR is low. I also strongly suggest wearing the Atma's Scarab ammy, not at last because its Amp Damage removes the Physical Immune tag thus making PI's a lot easier to handle. My Valk (maxed) is very strong. If a battle gets hard, the Merc dies first. Her naked stats at clvl 93 are: str - 135 (for Hydra Bows), dex - 280, vit - 125, en - 15 (base energy).
My Magic Find Guide for Diablo II LoD has been revised, and the updated version can now be found here. It's available in both German and English language:

Diablo II 'Magic Find' Guide (English Version)