This lobby thing
Really? Every time a user logs on (I assume they're in the lobby in the beginning) I get this annoying "You can't whisper to that person" message. Yes, I'm on his /f list. Do I have use /f m and annoy the heck out of everyone else? I'd love to see a screenshot, so I know where to look. :P
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Kartoffelsalat,Dec 18 2003, 08:43 AM Wrote:I've seen people make horrible firsts posts on forums and then change, but a good first-poster hardly ever regresses into terrible posting habits.
So I'm rare then? :P
Quote:That would be like pretty cool, but Blizzard doesn't like muling too much. They don't oppose it, but they made the stash size small on purpose.  But perhaps by popular demand, oh say by, 2100.

Too true, however with the unlimited number of characters you can have, all they achieved is that one stores more characters for muling purposes than otherwise.

I do appreciate the effort of inserting the economic scarcity into the game (in this case: scarcity of space), but when you can create infinite amount of space, at their expense (more character storage), it is bloody pointless.

But: frustrating
The lobby makes a lot of sense if you know anything about programming. When you logged onto b.net before 1.10, the realm cluster had to do a certain amount of work to get you logged into the default channel. This involved hooking your client up to their communication system, sending information about the other characters in the channel to you (including their equipment), and sending information about you and your character to all of the other clients. The number of connections made and the amount of data exchanged increases exponentially with the number of people in the channel.

They needed to do this for every one of the thousands of players logging onto the realm, even though most of them would immediately leave the channel and enter a game. That's a lot of effort for very little gain. So yeah, you have to click a button before you can chat, but if that means the servers will be less laggy (or up in the first place), I'm all for it.

Quote:I still want to be able to set my default channel.
Just keep in mind that you'd only join that channel after leaving the lobby. The whole point is to only spend time connecting players to the chat system if they specify that they want to chat. I think the real problem is that once you do click that button, the rest of the b.net interface is such a pain in the ass. What we need is a client-side list of favorite channel and game names.
Actually no. If you had infinite storage space, no one would ever need to throw items away. We'd all end up as set and unique collectors, we'd have umpteen character specific rares and enough gems to build a house. All that must take up more storage than a few level 1 mules.

As it stands, we're faced with a logistical problem every time we level or an item drops: do we stop to bring in a mule or play on? If we're in NM or Hell, do we drop down into Normal or do we push through a high-level mule? Heck, if we play hardcore, we gamble everything in stash every time we leave town. All this adds an extra dimension to the game.
... Does anyone else have snack machines in theirs , or am I just special ? :P
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
TaMeOlta,Dec 18 2003, 11:44 AM Wrote:... Does anyone else have snack machines in theirs , or am I just special ?  :P
I was going to put one in my lobby, but it didn't match the decor. As of right now, mine looks like this:
[Image: regal-biltmore-hotel-lobby-skylight.jpg]

:P
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Deadpan,

Your right about most of what you said but you must understand the following: Wherever there is an opportunity for an exploit of any sort, it is a sure bet that someone will do so. This is evident from the dozens of bugs that have been exploited by the masses over the years of b-net. Take for example the recent zod duping in 1.10 (even on ladder). Someone (relatively) quickly found a way to exploit the multiple corpse system.

I have personal experience with an exploit in regards to item hording. Two of my friends set up an intricate network of muling accounts, and horded every valuable item they came across. They had one for every set, many unique and rare mules, and sorted out charms, jewels, soj's, gems, runes, etc.. Although this is in no way hacking, cheating, or extreme unfairness, but it certainly is an exploit.
You can hear /f m's in the lobby. That's about it. Nobody can whisper you directly.

I've found that if someone i'm trading with crashes to lobby, I can throw him on my friends list and /f m quickly to send him a followup.
Hmm, but isn't using /f m a bit annoying? I mean, there 's usually more than one person on your friend's list. :D
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Imagine the situation in Europe. I have Germans, French, English, Spanish etc. on my friends list, some of them not speaking the language of the other (I for one don't speak neither French nor Spanish), and it can be quite irritating to get a message you don't even understand.

I'd say something about the ditterent character sets, but since Blizzard went foobar and just did not implement (or misimplement) unicode, one just has to stick to good-old(-insufficient) 26 characters.