Had to happen eventually
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games...reut/index.html

This would be much more panic inducing in the game company world if it were it coming from anywhere else but China but I can still see Blizzard's Lawyers taking a long had look at the ruling.

Not sure if this discussion belongs in the Tavern or the Lounge.
Some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumble down the stairs.

Let's focus on one interesting pivot to the whole thing: the mention of "pay-as-you-play". The plaintiff had to pay money to participate. The company gained revenue and continued to gain revenue from his participation.

Now, when you play and you lose within the established rules of the game, there's nothing you can do about reclaiming your purchased participation. You don't go complaining to the clerk at the arcade prize counter if your Pac-Man character got beat down by a bunch of pastel-colored apparitions— you knew the rules of the game, and your failure came about simply because you risked and found out you suck at PacMan. But when the game fails outside the parameters of ruled and fair gameplay (someone cheated), someone other than the gameplayer is liable for fault. More often, it is the gamemaker or the cheater themselves.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:Let's focus on one interesting pivot to the whole thing: the mention of "pay-as-you-play". The plaintiff had to pay money to participate. The company gained revenue and continued to gain revenue from his participation.

Trure, so in the current ( stress current ) Diablo 2 landscape this ruling wouldn't necessarily be the basis of action.

However - I'm just gonna guess here - I'd think that Blizzard ( and others ) will look long and hard at this case when setting up or moving (a current free play system ) to a pay for play, possibly affecting project timelines for upcoming titles.

Another question to be asked is how seriously anyone is going to take a ruling from the Chinese legal system....
Some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything but you just can't help but smile when you see them tumble down the stairs.

The compensation received is understandable. The compensation requested is a joke. Apparently video games are not meant to be played for fun, but to be an exchange of time and money for valuable virtual commodities. Perhaps they should be renamed video jobs.
See "strict negligence" and "strict tort" rulings, where you are liable "just because."
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

Two random things:

Quote:Beijing Arctic Ice Technology Development Co Ltd,

Wow, thats a long name, eh? And...

Quote:...saying it could not give out a player's private details, it said.

Just a little thing I couldn't help but notice whilst reading. C'mon CNN, where's yer' grammar?!
Nystul,Dec 19 2003, 02:52 PM Wrote:Perhaps they should be renamed video jobs.
hmm, Star Wars Galaxies, anyone? :D
Welcome to the Lounge. Hope you brought your portable bomb shelter. - Roland
The compensation given seems adequate. I disagree with the "psychological trauma" crap thrown out by American courts, but in this case, I'd suggest the company return the guy's stolen property, together with mild compensation(exp? gold? not gm only stuff of course), and of course, removal of the cheater(no need to ID the guy to others, just remove the guy quietly. On the other hand, if your contract with players says you can terminate their account at anytime for whatever reason, you can feel free to ID the guy to the cops) Think of it this way, this guy has hacked into another player's account, and cost you a small bundle, possibly in court fees as well. He's a liability more than an asset, even if he pays his monthly fees.