Long search is over!
After all that time looking for a Jade Shield of Brilliance for my mage....

Jade Large Shield of Brilliance, +29% ra, +15 magic!

How sweet :)

Oh yeah, I picked that up in the caves....
beats the awsome of the mind towershield on my warrior...
The wind has no destination.
I don't know what your intent is, but I've always found an emerald or a obsidian (>= 35%) shield of whatever (preferably tiger, but I settled for an indestructible one) a better choice for my sorceror since I always aim for maximum resistances. Naj's plate and Thinking cap each give 20% resist all, and even with a perfect jade (30%) you only get 70% resist all. Granted, you'll have max magic resistance due to Dreamflange, but I just love all those golden letters.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
I for one also like seeing all the Golden "Max", but my mage is equiped as you said, with Thinking Cap and Naj's light Plate and Dreamflange. So his resistances are max magic, and 69% for the two others. He currently has a mana pool of 1022, so i guess the extra 6% resistance won't make much of a difference. Lightning based attacks are pretty weak and only the Advo's fireballs come close to being a threath.

Before the Jade/Brilliance, he used a 50% Emerald large shield of ages, but I'm a sucker for extra-large mana pools! :)

Also, if the Jade/Brilliance shield would have been of lower quality, e.g. 20% ra +11 magic, I would probably have kept on using my Emmy/ages, I kinda got lucky on the stats of that one!
Obsidian KS Tiger's here. Sweet as hell though, and a nice, fat life score is pretty good for a mage (225 at last count.)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
At least one sorc player used to say that crimson/brilliance is actually the ideal arty mage shield. His reasoning is that lightning is a relatively small threat to a high level sorcerer, but advocate fireballs are still substantial. It becomes a choice between taking 100% more damage from lightning, or 20% more damage from fire, and he considered the 20% fire more deadly.

Of course, with the jade/brilliance shield and TC, a nice obs/sorc armor would give you max resist to all and higher magic/mana at the expense of a spell level.
I wouldn't be ready to sacrifice my slvl 19, I just finished maxing all my spells, except for CL which I keep around 12-13 with +slvl items.

Anyways, the few points of resist% and of extra mana are just icing on the cake, no mage needs that much. A topaz dagger of magic is all that's necessary. (Armin's Bare Necessities)