Throwing Potions
Hey,

I can remember a previous post on this but can't find it, sorry if this is classed as spamming...

I just wondered if it is possible to make a viable build out of using Throwing Potions. Also, a few questions:

- Does the Barbarians 'Double Throw' skill work with Throwing Potions?

- Are oil potions classed as fire damage and gas potions classed as poison damage?

-If so, would 'Fire Mastery' work with oil potions?

Thanks in advance!
Quote:- Does the Barbarians 'Double Throw' skill work with Throwing Potions?

Yes.

Quote:- Are oil potions classed as fire damage and gas potions classed as poison damage?

Yes.

Quote:-If so, would 'Fire Mastery' work with oil potions?

I don't believe so.
Thanks adeyke... I found it, it was as AB thread for those who may be interested - http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...showtopic=36904
In the early game, I sell throwing potions for cash. o_0

Regardless, I've never really had the patience to kill anything with a throwing potion. I tried very hard, but the thing is rather slow. :( I prefer cracked javelins. ;)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Howdy,

This might not be too relevant, but pots CAN kill. In single player my summoner necro used pots as a last resort to beat up on Big D in normal. I dunno how much longer they are viable past that point. It was certainly a gas <_< running around like a madman tossing the odd pot at that large red fiend.

Scotty
'Me not that kind of Orc' - lazy peon
adeyke,Dec 31 2003, 07:40 PM Wrote:>If so, would 'Fire Mastery' work with oil potions?

I don't believe so.
Interesting question.

Potions are possibly special cased enough to avoid Fire or Poison Mastery (new facets etc. have +poison damage, right?... fireghtning "mastery" skills are, iirc, just +item_elem_damage% effects in practice).

I would not trust what the LCS™ says here. Should be tested. (I'll edit back if I get around to it first).

My recollection from beta was that throwing potions were "weapons" and so could somewhat inappropriately be used in some of the horcube transformations (as could many quest items... some such horcube snafus were fixed for release, and some not). This raises the question of whether you could be really silly and use the repair recipe on them.

As I've noted in numerous posts before, there is some art/science to avoiding stacking potions when picking them up (inven open trick), and getting the best repair cost deal based on what qty stack you sell to the shop before buying it back, replenished (when you have a bunch of stacks, you can adjust the numbers of stacks by combining, e.g.).

Some "autohit" attacks can still be blocked (or might fail 1/20th of the time). AFAIK the poison throwing potions are a sure way to hit and apply damage (if you can lob it to the right spot) regardless of the monsters mlvl/DR/blocking (but, of course, respecting their poison resist/immunity). This can occasionally be useful, when you want an underpowered character to be the one getting kill credit for a quest/1st-drop boss.

Hypothetically at least, an army of clvl 1s with a gold rich patron in town to "repair" their poison throwing potions, could eventually take down DC (I wouldn't recommend this in hardcore, of course! :) ) via TP ping-pong.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Why is that we can't buy these potions?
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Okay, I tested it. I gave a character some oil potions and lobbed them at a yeti-type monster in act 1 hell. I could barely scratch it. Then I used a modded recipe to give every piece of equipment and every charm +451% fire skill damage, for many thousands of percent total. The LCS was unchanged, and I was still barely able to scratch with the potions.

The potions just work differently from other weapons. They don't have the damage as weapon but as stats for the missile associated with them, or something like that. And apparently this missile simply doesn't get the damage boost from fire mastery.
adeyke,Jan 9 2004, 09:47 PM Wrote:The potions just work differently from other weapons.&nbsp; They don't have the damage as weapon but as stats for the missile associated with them, or something like that.&nbsp; And apparently this missile simply doesn't get the damage boost from fire mastery.
The sorceress does not get the Fire Mastery on her missiles either, why should this be different?

This was one of the principle points of disscussion of using Enchant. While the Fire Mastery would be applied to the Enchant for determining the damage parameters of the Enchant aura that is attached to a target; the Mastery would then only get applied again when using melee attacks, not missile attacks.
Phyloxerra,Jan 9 2004, 10:19 PM Wrote:Howdy,

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; This might not be too relevant, but pots CAN kill. In single player my summoner necro used pots as a last resort to beat up on Big D in normal. I dunno how much longer they are viable past that point. It was certainly a gas <_<&nbsp; running around like a madman tossing the odd pot at that large red fiend.

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Scotty
:D Interesting mental image there.

The only monster I've ever killed with pots is Normal Blood Raven, because she killed me first and that was what I picked up on the way back from town. If I bother to pick them up, I sell them for cash (1000 gold worth of oil pots takes up the same space as 280 gold worth of el rune).
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!