Question about max shield blocking
Hi, I was wondering something about max shield blocking. I know that the maximum effective block you can get is 75%, but recently I saw some people were upgrading their shields to elite versions in order to get higher blocking. I checked the AS and the elites do have higher base blocking. Now, my question: If I were to upgrade a Whitstan's Guard (Chance To Block: Pal: 97% Ama/Asn/Bar: 92% Dru/Nec/Sor: 87% - AS) to the elite version (which has a 15% higher listed blocking) would that mean that the base value used for calculations would be 112/107/102? Or is it capped at 100? Any help would be appricated.
You can't upgrade set items.

If you could upgrade it (and you really can't), the blocking would be 105/100/95. Base block for luna is 50/45/40 and it has +55%.
duh, i can't believe i forgot that.
anyway, shield blocking doesn't seem to work out the way you say it does. if it really does just add 55% to the base value then the blocking for it should be different. the base for a round shield is 35/30/35. When you add 55 you get 90/85/80 which is 7 points below what the actual blocking is. its the same way for moser's (the unique round shield) - the blocking % is added and then another 7% is added on top of that. oh well it's getting late so i'm gonna go to sleep and i'll think about this tomorow. thanks for the help
The base block of a round shield is 42/37/32. Add 55 and you get 97/92/87.

The AS base item pages have numerous errors. I didn't get around to reporting those. Mea culpa.
Base blocking for a Round Shield is 42/37/32, which makes Whitstan's 97/92/87. Don't be too sure of what you see on the Arreat Summit ;)
It will still be 75% no matter what. However, it will take less points into dex in order to reach that 75% cap. These saved points not put into dex can be put into other stats. The reason people are upgrading shields is not to get more block % but to get more stat points.
*shrugs*. The direct effect is an increase in block chance. The indirect effect is that, with a higher block chance, you need less dexterity to maintain a certain total block percentage.

A plain buckler has 30/25/20 block chance. A Whitstan's Guard has 97/92/87 block chance. I'd say that means the Guard has a higher block chance, while you're saying that the Guard requires less dexterity to get the same amount of total blocking. It boils down to the same thing, though.