Please, tell me what these things mean-
I don't even own Diablo 2 yet (I am getting it tomorrow)- and on Blizzard.com, it said a 4X CD-ROM drive is required to play the game- what is a 4X CD-ROM drive?

And also what does this mean - "Up to 8 Players over TCP/IP Network or Battle.net® (Requires low-latency Internet connection with support for 32-bit applications) "?

Thanks in advance, and I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm new to mmorpgs (never played one that involved a game disk). I need to know these things before I go waist my money on something I can't play.

EDIT: Also, does this game have a lot of lag when playing on a dial-up connection, or is it playable, with just a little lag every now and then?
A 4X CD-ROM drive is a four speed CD-ROM drive. Pretty much any CD-ROM drive you see nowadays is 4X or higher.

The "Up to 8 Players over TCP/IP Network or Battle.net® (Requires low-latency Internet connection with support for 32-bit applications) " means you can have eight players in a game. Battle.net is Blizzard's free online service that lets players from all over the world play together. TCP/IP network games are games played where the game is hosted on you or your friend's computer, instead of Blizzard's servers.

Many people play on Dial-up. I used to, and never had any real problems with lag. If you're playing hardcore, don't play if your connection seems laggy.

Also, Diablo II isn't actually a MMORPG, because it consists of a whole bunch of little games instead a few really big games.

It's a great game, I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

:)
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Thank you very much!
Kartoffelsalat,Feb 7 2004, 05:38 PM Wrote:A 4X CD-ROM drive is a four speed CD-ROM drive.  Pretty much any CD-ROM drive you see nowadays is 4X or higher.
Tidbit of information you may or may not of known:

As seen on Tech TV; While the actualy spinning speed of a CD ROM may have no limit to its rotations per second, the physical disk does. After just 50x (or is it 32x? shoot, and I just saw the program the other day :blink: ), the G-Force will shatter the physical disk. So even if you see a CD ROM that says 52x or those ones that were out for a week that said 70x, it will NEVER go that fast or the physical disk will shatter and destroy your computers insides!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Feb 9 2004, 04:52 PM Wrote:it will NEVER go that fast or the physical disk will shatter and destroy your computers insides!
Why onearth they spin the disc rather than use optics on a stationary disc is a good question.
Because if the disc stayed stationary they would only be able to use about 1/1000 of the disc capacaty (ok, maybe a small exaggeration), unless of course they spun the laser around the disc, which would probably break it after a minute of use.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Wyrm,Feb 10 2004, 05:14 PM Wrote:unless of course they spun the laser around the disc, which would probably break it after a minute of use.
No, I meant why spin at all. Although a stationary laser would mean some sort of movable mirror and more complex circuitry (since the distance the beam travelled to pits would be different to the centre c.f. the edge)