Roman Legionaries
Mate, i'm not bearing with any incompetance. Don't belittle yourself like that :) This is a really, really fun idea. I have a big soft spot for Romans. (Being of greek/australian heritage, I have no idea why that might be.)

Personally, I would love to be the Centurion/Decurion of the legion, but it would be a large ego trip for myself. At the same time I would love to be a footsolder, in the thick of things, in formation, backing up my cohort.

There was a website I saw a while back that had extensive screenshots of each character's appearance in various armors, shields and weapons. I would love to find it again but google is being unhelpful.

I was thinking about this a moment ago and I think that the biggest issue will probably be getting the squad to move in formation. It's easy enough to hold a formation when you are standing still. But when moving?

For instance, who governs where you move and when? Having the Centurion give orders would be beyond tedious. There needs to be an assigned troop leader (perhaps the Centurion himself) who leads the march (walk, not run). Furthermore, all faster run/walk speeds need to be synchronized among the soldiers.

I think the squad should comprise of six players: one centurion, one standard bearer and four soldiers.

Simple formations: (C = centurion, S = solider, + = standard bearer)

Tortoise / Square:
Code:
SCS
S+S

Arrow:
Code:
  C
S  S
S+S

Line:
Code:
SSCSS
    +

Column:
Code:
C
S
S
S
+
S

etc.

When entering town the formation should relax. Two soldiers should be verbally ordered (by the Centurion) to guard the entrance while the other two are permitted to repair/re-equip/heal. Upon completion of repair/re-equipping/healing the soliders at the entrance should be relieved (again, verbally). This is all for the sake of appearances, you realise :)

No member of the legion should EVER run anywhere unless it is INTO battle (or to recover from formation fallout/change in direction), and even then should remain in formation as much as possible. All movement in town should be at a walk. The legionaries should make formation just before leaving town, or just after appearing at a waypoint.

Yea, okay i'm a bit fanatical about it. If you wanted to be a true lunatic about it, the cohort should stop at nightfall and set up camp. This is where a necromancer standard bearer would come in useful, with the bone walls used to form pallisades.

You could also steal a few interesting traditions from the Jem'Hadar..

Centurion Vexhalatias, can you vouch for the loyalty of your men?
"We pledge our loyalty to Rome, from now, until death."
--> Then recieve this gift from Rome, may it keep you strong. (Mule drops sigon's tower shield.)

"I am Centurion Vexhalatias, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are soldiers of Rome. Remember: victory is life."
First of all, I must always encourage anyone to be a Legionaire, after the great fun we RBD scum had with The Legion of Greiz variant. FOR THE GREATER GLORY OF THE LEGION!

Secondly, I offer a touch of poetry suitable for the foot soldiers going on about the business of The Empire. Written from the poet of Victoria's Empire . . . Rudyard Kipling

BOOTS (Columns of Infantry)

WE’RE foot—slog—slog—slog—sloggin’ over Africa (-Anauroch-)
Foot—foot—foot—foot—sloggin’ over Africa—
(Boots—boots—boots—boots—movin’ up and down again!)
There’s no discharge in the war!

Seven—six—eleven—five—nine-an’-twenty mile today—
Four—eleven—seventeen—thirty—two the day before—
(Boots—boots—boots—boots—movin’ up and down again!)

Don’t—don’t—don’t—don’t—look at what’s in front of you.
(Boots—boots—boots—boots—movin’ up an’ down again);
Men—men—men—men—men go mad with watchin’ ’em,
An’ there’s no discharge in the war!

Try—try—try—try—to think o’ something different—
Oh—my—God—keep—me from goin’ lunatic!
(Boots—boots—boots—boots—movin’ up an’ down again!)

Count—count—count—count—the bullets in the bandoliers. (-the bolts from those damned lightning bugs-)
If—your—eyes—drop—they will get atop o’ you
(Boots—boots—boots—boots—movin’ up and down again)—

We—can—stick—out—’unger, thirst, an’ weariness,
But—not-—not—not—not the chronic sight of ’em—
Boots—boots—boots—boots—movin’ up an’ down again,

’Tain’t—so—bad—by—day because o’ company,
But—night—brings—long—strings—o’ forty thousand million
Boots—boots—boots—boots—movin’ up an’ down again.

I—’ave—marched—six—weeks in ’Ell an’ certify
It—is—not—fire—devils—dark or anything,
But boots—boots—boots—boots—movin’ up an’ down again,
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I do not know about it no, but day-night cycle used to be client side (non-sinchronised).
Last time I paid attention to it was in 1.0, so it might have changed.
If memory serves, a War Staff bears the closest resemblance to a "standard", and should be worn as soon as able/available.
Aha! I found it! http://www.geocities.com/alainpp66/ArmourA...Appearance.html
Avoid the lop-sided armours. I'm assuming there's no females, so I'll just mention the male armours that I think look suitable.

Barb: Chain Mail/ Mesh Armor/ Boneweave/Field Plate/ Sharktooth Armor/ Kraken Shell/Full Plate Mail/ Chaos Armor/ Shadow Plate/Gothic Plate/ Embossed Plate/ Lacquered Plate/ Plate Mail/ Templar Coat/ Hellforge Plate

(maybes):Light Plate/ Mage Plate/ Archon Plate/Ring Mail/ Linked Mail/ Diamond Mail/Scale Mail/ Tigulated Mail/ Loricated Mail/Splint Mail/ Russet Armor/ Balrog Skin/ Studded Leather/ Trellised Armor/ Wire Fleece

Necro: I'm too tired to copy them all, so I'll just list the column number from here on. 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14. The rest are mostly lopsided.

Druid: All except columns 1, 2, 7, 8, 10, 12.

Pala: All except 1, 3, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16.

3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 16 are primarily out because of insignia, unless you can somehow claim they have a wolf's head crest(but then the commander wouldn't have one...)

Edit: Was typing this up at like 5am or so, forgot that the Paladin IS the commander(unless it's a shouting barb? but if all the legionaires are auraless paladins with crests, it would look weird to have a commander without, or something like that, lol)
Hope I'm not too late here :unsure:

This sounds like great fun, and since its seems you'll play on europe I'd like to join in. A legionary would suit me just fine. :ph34r:

For names (and keeping away from the obvious ones) this site might have some:
Encyclopedia Mythica/..

Also, should we for some reason use pallys as legionares, they could maybe use the single resist auras, one each, thereby protecting each other while in formation. These auras arent very imposing either, just a thin coloured band around their feet.

They wont have the throwmastery etc of the barb tho.. :unsure:
I am sorry I haven't responded that much in this thread lately, but I am reading up to my last exam.

I will first be able to do any real playing about a week from now, so it is still completely open for joining in theory.

Also I have considered that maybe we should play passworded games on Bnet Open so we can have Raziel on board as well. He seems to be the most enthusiastic one here and he would make a kickass centurion.

I expect to do a definite writeup of this variant sometimes and flaunt it over at Realms Beyond.
Heh, yea, i'm bloody enthusiastic about it , but I would probably scream orders at everyone. Plus, y'all might get sick of listening to me quote Gladiator.

If you want to play on Europe, I can make an account there. I don't think the lag will be too bad from Canada.
Raziel,Jan 12 2004, 04:14 PM Wrote:Heh, yea, i'm bloody enthusiastic about it , but I would probably scream orders at everyone.  Plus, y'all might get sick of listening to me quote Gladiator.

If you want to play on Europe, I can make an account there.  I don't think the lag will be too bad from Canada.
Hehe, there is nothing wrong with Gladiator :)

And if you want to scream the orders, we should be using ventrilo or some other voice chat :P
sokken,Jan 12 2004, 06:15 PM Wrote:And if you want to scream the orders, we should be using ventrilo or some other voice chat  :P
But I don't have a voice chat thingy... :( Ah, well, I can be the silent one then.
<span style="color:red">Now lounging in the Amazon Basin.
Nah, really better if all or none use it, IMO. That way noone is left out.
gimlisam @ Jan 12 2004, 01:19 PM Wrote:
sokken @ Jan 12 2004, 06:15 PM Wrote:And if you want to scream the orders, we should be using ventrilo or some other voice chat :P
But I don't have a voice chat thingy... :( Ah, well, I can be the silent one then.

Ventrilo is a great program that allows clients to all connect on a server and use voice chat through a microphone - its a quick/free download and you only need the mic. The only problem is it costs money to rent a ventrilo server, but if you can find some kind counter-strike clan or whatnot they might let you have a 'channel' for free :)

I personally love voice com, except when everyone tries to talk at once :P Once during the beta my friend and I used it and had a blast :D

--moget?

edit: P.S. That armor view list is great, but it would be a lot better if the background was black! I know a bit of html, so if you care enough to change it, do what I did:
  • Go to website > File > Save As... And save it to wherever
    <>
  • Open up notepad (Start > Run > notepad) and drag icon of ArmourAppearance.htm into notepad
    <>
  • Change <BODY> to <BODY bgcolor="#000000"> and change the <TABLE [...]> tag to <TABLE [...] bgColor=#000000 border=1><>
    [st]
    I forget how to change the table text color so all the text will be black against black, but if you right click on the .htm file and select edit it will open in microsoft word and have good contrast (for some reason). Enjoy.
do all classes walk at the same bace speed?

Quote:You could also steal a few interesting traditions from the Jem'Hadar..

that last one, about being dead while fighting, seems to remind me of something other then the trek... reminds me of sword of truth...
The wind has no destination.
:D just a little thing i found(and in case some one else havent mencion it jet, is than the javalines the romas use where pilus(wich does exist on diablo 2) so if you wan to keep the history thing, you might want to use it as well
Yep, pilums. I knew I forgot to mention something. Make that, any throwing spear with a metal head should be allowed(ie, not regular one-piece javs)
Quote: do all classes walk at the same bace speed?

Yes. Tommi Gustafsson's Site

And something to add that isn't mentioned in that article: Missiles move at 9 yards/sec. Meaning javelins/arrows/ect, not spells... they don't all move at the same speed.
Wow, this seems totally fantastic. I have always been infatuated with Roman/ Greek (Roman stuff sooo much more ;) ) and was wondering if there is any more room in this party. I would love to join if there was space.
As my first post on the Lounge, I would like to suggest that an important function of the standard bearer should be to officially "Claim this Treasure in the Name of the Holy Roman Empire". (A phrase that should, perhaps, be repeated in-game whenever anything really good is found. :) )

As such, the standard bearer should be equipped entirely with magic/gold find equipment--within the equipment constraints already spelled out, of course--and should be the only character allowed to open chests, barrells, hidden stashes, etc.

Also, it must also be recognized that the standard bearer is not a packmule, and as such will not be taking any of the treasure back to town himself; that job should be left to those of lesser position. (Besides, his inventory is going to be full of nothing but +MF and +Gold charms anyway. :) )
This is a good idea, but not in it's present execution.

For MF to work for him it requires that he is the one landing the killing blows.

Rather as he is the one who hangs back and casts some stuff now and then he will be the guy with most time on his hands. This can be used for him to pick up stuff and identify them. While the legion moves forward they can devote their attention to combat and following orders content to know that anything useful will be picked up by the standard bearer.