Strange experience
playing warrior dlvl16

have arkanes armor, shadow hawk, grand shield craftmanship armor 5 +52%armor, optic amulet and blue amulet

ST 42
MG 46
DT 41
VT 48
AC 52
Life 146
mana 61

My question is: I have the shadow hawk when I hit a foe my life (the red stuff) rejuvinates. Why would it do this? Not that I'm complaining just curious.
If you look at the properties on the Shadowhawk one thing you will see is something like "steals 5% life". What this actually means is that when you hit an enemy, you will heal life (up to your maximum) at 5% of the damage you did. So if your attack did 50 damage, you would heal 2.5 life. The effect isn't really drastic enough to help you avoid dying, but it does cut down on the number of potions you have to drink.
Nystul,Dec 23 2003, 11:14 AM Wrote:The effect isn't really drastic enough to help you avoid dying, but it does cut down on the number of potions you have to drink.
Which, with +15% tohit, makes it a very desirable low-level unique for every IronMan warrior. In solo games it's even better due to its reduced light radius.

Too bad those 5% resist all prevent magic blocking...

I remember always hoping for one to drop every time I got to Leoric or some boss in cats.

*reminisces*
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
I'm still new at playing the game, so I am discovering what would be the best armor, weapon, shield, spells, head gear

So far what I have works ok but I haven't faced off with a lot of foe at once. But this will come in the next few levels as I understand it. *thinking to self, how many times will I die, will I make to the end*
Shadow Walker,Dec 24 2003, 08:53 AM Wrote:I'm still new at playing the game, so I am discovering what would be the best armor, weapon, shield, spells, head gear

So far what I have works ok but I haven't faced off with a lot of foe at once. But this will come in the next few levels as I understand it. *thinking to self, how many times will I die, will I make to the end*
The best head gear, unless you find something spectacular, is probably going to be the Veil of Steel, which only spawns in SP.

You will probably die often.

But in Diablo, unlike Diablo II, you are capable of saving and starting back up where you were instead of in town. So if you actually care about reaching the end, you will.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
there is the two that only drop in nightmare/hell ... or an unidentifed gottie....

lets face it, of the varrous uniques, the ones that are used over good blues are...

royal circlet
thinking cap
unidentified gotty
windforce
eaglehorn
stormshield
magearmor?

and the occasional 733T F33R grandfather *winks*
The wind has no destination.
The MageArmor is probably Naj's Light Plate?

You did forget these:
Civerb's Cudgel
Identified Gotterdammerung (I always put it on when I see the level is all melee)
Dreamflange
Helm of Sprits

Some people also use:
The Needler (easier to find than a bow of swiftness)
Holy defender (IMHO better than Stormy for rogues)
Wizardspike (till they find a Dreamflange)

And Lemming will surely flame you for not listing TFOS. :)
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Nightwind,Jan 22 2004, 03:46 AM Wrote:unidentified gotty
My Rogue uses an IDed Goddamnitsdarkinhere. It's useful.

+20 all attributes, -4dfe, -40%lr... Perfect for a hich AC ranged Rogue. Granted, the flat 0% all resistance does bite a tad, but hey - BowRogues don't let anything get close enough to score a definate hit with an elemental attack :D
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:So far what I have works ok but I haven't faced off with a lot of foe at once. But this will come in the next few levels as I understand it.

It's often hard to do. But the key to success in this game is keeping the number of foes attacking you at once low instead of getting super-items and flying through the levels(Although this becomes possible later on - mostly in multiplayer). As for best items, there's no need to worry about that. I'm sure you can spot most good things that will come in your way - you will have to use just what you find anyway :)
-Cytrex
ah yes, naj's light, I've only ever had it once... i ran hours on the warlord of blood and it fell from a rack... two days later I DIDN"T get warlord quest and picked up my first viel.

I don't remember the apeal of the spirts helm.. then again, I've never had one....

how could I have forgoten the CC anyway? *something good for you I am maaaaaking.....*
The wind has no destination.
Nightwind,Jan 23 2004, 08:32 AM Wrote:I don't remember the apeal of the spirts helm..
IMHO a great helm for LAWs (they can get their resists from the shirt and shield)... 5% life steal. That's it. Nothing more. Puny AC, but looks good on the inventory screen.

Combine it with a KSoH and forget buying reds. Most of the time, anyway. Some critters will still take your life faster than you can steal it back.
-- Ford Prefect
My warrior has long ago forgotten Reds :P Yellow just feels much better ;)and Pepin is selling me those 6-7 at time lately. On most levels, if I don't mess up, I can handle by just living on the life steal with very occasional healing casts. You can forget that on 16 though :D
-Cytrex
Cytrex,Jan 23 2004, 03:02 PM Wrote:You can forget that on 16 though :D
<_< Aye... makes me want to get back to playing rogues.
-- Ford Prefect
...and this Adams quote makes me want to read the books again :rolleyes:
-Cytrex
Cytrex,Jan 23 2004, 02:02 PM Wrote:My warrior has long ago forgotten Reds :P Yellow just feels much better&nbsp; ;)and Pepin is selling me those 6-7 at time lately. On most levels, if I don't mess up, I can handle by just living on the life steal with very occasional healing casts. You can forget that on 16 though :D
As you can imagine, I love reds ^_^
I love The Protector. 86 healing charges, plus you're so well protected in the process. Damage stinks, but.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!