Hellfire incompatible with Win2k?
I cant get an answer in the Diablo section so I thought Id put it here.

I have Diablo installed with the latest patch and Hellfire installed with si_hellfire 101.exe installed (I guess from Sierra?), and the game crashes to blue screen and "...physical memory dumping in 20 secs...." message within 5 minutes. This on a fairly fast computer. Please help. Thanks!
Take out(save) everything that is not Win2k.

Format C:

Reinstall Windows 9x. Reinstall all saved files.

Guaranteed compatibility! :D

This is why I usually don't buy the latest OS until 5 years after it's released. I figure by that time, most of the major bugs will have been worked out, and I should hopefully have a good enough computer that it won't run out of memory.
Though I am loath to ask you to blue screen your comp again, maybe you should try running it in Compatability Mode?
I do not know what the issue are you having is, but Hellfire worked just fine for me under Win2K.

That patch name doesn't sound right. I don't have my archive CD with me, but I do recall ever having an si_ in front of the patch or hellfire being spelled out. I seem to recall something on the lines of hf101.exe for the patch. It is a Sierra patch, and it should run the Sierra patcher when launched. So I am not convince you have the actual 1.01 patch for Hellfire. I would look into that.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Thank everybody. I got the latest patch, hf101, but still crashed (but not to blue screen) to "...Hellire has generated errors and will be closed...".

Raziel- How do you do Compatibility mode?

Can this be due to Hellfire ONLY working with direct x 3 (or whatever, but much earlier than 9 or what's current)?
The DX thing shouldn't be a problem. DX is actually pretty darn good about backwards compatibility so having a higher version than what is required is not a problem.

To run in compatibility mode, just browse to the executable file, right click on it and select properties, then go to the compatibility tab and check the "run this program as..." box and select Win95 or 98.

I would also recommend updating your drivers for your video and sound.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Thanks, but there is no compatibility tab there. This is win2k, do I need to adjust something?
What service Pack are you running? I think they added the Compatability tab as of SP2. Are you getting properties on the actual diablo.exe (or game.exe, I haven't run reg. diablo/hellfire in quite a while!) or the Diablo shortcut on your desktop? If you're not on SP2 or later, go to WindowsUpdate and download all the critical patches (start with Service Pack 4). You'll probably have to go back several times to get all of them as it will only let you download certain ones together. But then you should have Compatability mode. There was also a patch for program compatability which if I recall was mostly geared towards games.

Good luck!

dogztar
sp4. I keep crashing to the Desktop and getting: "Hellfire has committed an error and will be closed by Windows. An error log has been generated" or something like that. Where is the error log put and maybe I can learn something?

Meanwhile, I'll check the property stuff for the .exe files you mentioned. Thanks!
Look for apcompat on the 2K CD, that is the compatibility program.
Will do, thx! :)