deadly strike and crushing blow
What exactly is crushing blow?
and,
If i'm not wrong they don't work in 1.09 in pvp.
does it work in 1.10 in pvp now?
Crushing Blow: http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/weapondamage.h...ml#CrushingBlow
Deadly Strike: http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/weapondamage.h...#ItemProperties

Yes, they work in PvP. The effect of Crushing Blow is reduced vs. players though.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
According to this:

http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/weapondamage.h...ml#CrushingBlow

Quote:As of the patch 1.10, the effect of Crushing Blow no longer scales with the number of players. In practice, this is implemented by dividing the damage by the life scaling factor of monsters. For example, if you score a crushing blow against a monster that has been spawned in an 8-player game, the game first calculates the damage of the crushing blow based on the current life amount of the target and then divides it by 4.5 (monsters have 450% of their normal hit points in 8 player games). In this way, the absolute damage from a crushing blow is the same regardless of how many players there are in the game.

So, in a 1 player game, a monster with 100 health is hit with a crusing blow -- the user does 1 point of damage from his fist (for simplicity's sake, he does 1 and only 1 every time). Crushing Blow's effect from melee is 1/4 the target's health.

The damage done by CB is: 1/4 * 100 = 25. Adding the 1 point of damage from the fist AFTER CB is applied, leaves the monster with 74 life.

Not bad.

In an 8 player game, that same monster has 550 health (+450%, right?). The crushing blow is scored, and calculated; the damage dealt by CB is ( (1/4 * 550) / 4.5 ) = 91.67. Add the one point of fist damage, and the monster is left with 457 life.

Not that big of a crushing blow, is it? It looks like it DOES scale a little bit, but not much for an 8-player game.

Does this mean that crushing blow is worthless for all but single player games?

So, a Venom Lord in Hell has (from the AS) 24,857 life. In an 8 player game, he has 136,713.5 life.
Crushing blow on this bugger is calculated as: ( (1/4 * 136714) /4.5 ) = 22786, leaving the monster with 113928 life (rounded down on all calcuations).

If my math is right (which it very well might NOT be), it appears that Crushing Blow isn't as crushing as it used to be, but still nice, nonetheless. I don't know many builds that can do 22K of damage, PLUS weapon/skill damage, (in this situation) in 1 swing on a full health Venom Lord using a melee attack. Considering the relatively low damage output for 1-handed weapons, Crushing Blow can really amplify your killing speed. A nice PHM with Crushing Blow combo should be all a meleer needs in Hell to be effective. Well, that and time...

EDIT: Quickly checked; the Vemon Lord I used as an example was one of the minions of Ventaur the Unholy.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
No, it's 450% not +450%; there is no increase in damage.
Ah, thank you. Makes more sense that way.

With it being 450% and not +450%, then the scaling really is 0, and it makes crushing blow more ineffective. Perhaps ineffective to the point where it can be ignored completely.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Quote: Perhaps ineffective to the point where it can be ignored completely.
Post Settings

I dare to diagree with you on that one. Cb does increase your melee damage substantially, and you need that in hell. True, the CB in 1.09 was more effective, but that'd mean that CB builds would not experience the increase in difficulty in 1.10. It'd be the melee equivalent of CE v. 1.0.