Pressing the number 5
The number 5 (top row, not number pad) For some reason drops me out of the game instantly back to the Create/Join Game screen. There are no errors (i.e. connection interrupted or anything). It simply pops me back to that screen.

This is understandable annoying as it is directly next to my option chugging buttons and if im in a panic thinking I'm about to die or I get mana drained, I quite often knock it and to my dismay I find myself back on the main screen.

I've hunted around in the settings and cant find anything that reffers to this, and I've asked a few friends who play LOD if theirs does the same and it doesnt. I also checked on the bnet support site and couldnt find anything which may be linked.

Any ideas? Anyone else get this?
a55of rot13

539 tbh

Don't think cos i understand... i care
Don't think cos we're talkin... we're friends

*shavenlunatic - Europe
Have you tried to assign the number 5 to a hotkey? Or would it not even let you do that, since it would require you to press 5 in the options... (I am assuming this only drops you while in a game without the options open). Otherwise, I wouldn't consider this such a bad thing. ;) If you get stairtrapped, your fingers are already on the top row, just go past 4 and pres 5=insta-safety. :)
I'll give assigning it to a hotkey a try, cheers :)

As for it being handy, lol, It's not so handy when I've been wearing down Baal for 10 minutes on my own only to hammer 5 when he does manaburn instead of 4 and find myself back at the chat screen..lol. But i Do see your point, maybe 6 might be a better number though, little safer :D
a55of rot13

539 tbh

*shavenlunatic - Europe
I don't mean to be an ass, but you're not running maphack, are you?

5 might just be bound to the in built "Chicken" key, used to bail you out of a game mega-fast as death approaches.
I did use maphack about twice when I first got D2X as a mate advised it because it had socket protection (as I'm crap and keep accidentally socketing items.lol) but I used it about twice and didn't see the benefit in it. (as far as i knew at the time it just nulled the light radius and stopped the socketing, I have since found out that you can set it to reveal the whole map and various other stuff. Would have took a chunk of the fun from the game IMO so I'm glad I deleted it).

But you might be right, it may have set a default key as a "chicken key" and saved it in my settings. I'll uninstall D2 and re-install and see how it goes, getting rid of all those dirty maphack files.

EDIT: Although YES I did use maphack, I don't condone cheating online (and if you cheat SP then it's your own stupid problem for wasting the cost of a game by cheating), and at the time, even though the name may suggest, I thought it was just a mod/plugin for the game which added stuff that should have been added. Just thought I'd better straighten that out before I get flamed :)
a55of rot13

539 tbh

*shavenlunatic - Europe
Cheating is unacceptable 'round these parts.

I believe you when you say you just tried it once (or twice). My friend did the same thing. He was playing with Maphack as I was playing regular on the realm; he told me about this new program that just came out that makes finding durance 3 so much easier. We only played a couple of times with him using the Maphack. He got rid of it shortly after, because it ruins the game. It's not Diablo when you can tell where everything and everyone is. We eventually stopped playing Diablo all together because Public games had become crap (since everyone was using it).

Things are different in 1.10; we both have jobs, and multiple computers and copies of Diablo 2 (2 a piece), so whenever we have time (usually at night, after work) we have an instant 4 player game (the added difficulty in Hell from having only two players face off against 4-player spawned monsters is nice, not to mention the drops). When our friends join us, we've got a full boat. Maphack would just spoil the fun for all of us.

On a technical note, the "chicken key" sounds like the Maphack boys figured out how to bind keys more effectively than just by using the hotkeys that are available. What I'd like to see is a "left attack" on a keyboard key, or right attack on a keyboard key. Just to save my poor left index finger. I've trained myself to use two fingers when clicking to try and save my index finger.

EDIT: Not saying that this is a feature I'd like to see in Maphack per se, i.e. a reason to use it, but rather a Diablo 2 feature; would it hurt to allow triggering an attack by a keyboard press? There's probably some logistic problem with auras and such on the right mouse button as they relate to the keyboard.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*