If a monster falls in a forest...?
I don't have time to test this issue properly, but I've often noted various oddities with going to town vis a vis duration effects on monsters.

Poison (and I suppose "burning"), Open Wounds and Rabies, not to mention Iron Maiden with bone walls/prisons make for interesting questions about monsters dying from damage "caused" by you, even though you are not around.

Firewalls, blaze, meteors, traps, etc. etc. come under this heading also, of course, though some have been "nerfed" due to pvp concerns.

What recent quick testing showed was that Poison Javelin doesn't continue to poison/kill (at least not for very long) when you go to town, unless there is an "observer" left behind... however, although the observer empowered the continuing poison and death of a monster, no xp was granted (observer partied, pJav thrower in town). I'm pretty certain, however, that if this was a quest kill, credit would have been granted.

So this also touches upon recent posts (at least at the AB) pointing out that xp isn't generated for monster kills fairly commonly, due to mysterious reasons.

(another mystery: apparently paly convert still can, at least sometimes, result in the OHK of the formerly converted monster).

I'm about to take a week or so break from playing D2 (going out of town), and I strongly suspect I will not resume playing much once I get back (IRL issues and new games like Spellforce, Horizons: Istaria, Mythica tempting me). So I'll probably be making some misc. posts/threads like this one in the next couple of weeks, as I wind down, back into the "lurkerhood" from which I respawned. ;) So feel free to ask any particularly interesting esoteric questions that you hope to get my unique perspective on (I might have time to answer, and it will be the last chance for who knows how long... D3?).

I will make at least one "relatively harmless" post on rushing, since I know so much more about that than during beta.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Quote:(another mystery: apparently paly convert still can, at least sometimes, result in the OHK of the formerly converted monster).

I had a character who played with a friends conversion pally for a while. As far as I can tell the OHK on ex-convertees still happens most of the time. The monsters are left with 1 hp after conversion wears off though, and do begin to regen immediatley.

I did notice with my assassin, that it does *not* occur with mindblast(as least does not occur with any frequency).
Crystalion,Jan 29 2004, 04:00 PM Wrote:I'm about to take a week or so break from playing D2 (going out of town), and I strongly suspect I will not resume playing much once I get back (IRL issues and new games like Spellforce, Horizons: Istaria, Mythica tempting me). So I'll probably be making some misc. posts/threads like this one in the next couple of weeks, as I wind down, back into the "lurkerhood" from which I respawned. ;)  So feel free to ask any particularly interesting esoteric questions that you hope to get my unique perspective on (I might have time to answer, and it will be the last chance for who knows how long... D3?).

I
I am going to miss your expertise, relentless testing, tangentical insights, gamebending, random non-linearities, and terrific writing. (And penmanship!). I hope this game interests me long enough to see you incarnateed in a new, vastly more powerful form.

Best of luck. B)

Oh, one last technical question: What does ymmv mean? I like the way it rolls off the tongue. :P
Night time
If you are in town, on the periphery, any minions of yours will continue to assail the monsters near by, but the monsters will not attack back (except Diablo, but he can't spawn in the general vicinity of town in an unmodded game...). Really makes that fanat es cu Balrog in the OS a superfluous non-entity. ;)

Quote:I will make at least one "relatively harmless" post on rushing, since I know so much more about that than during beta.

Trying to forestall something like the abomination that was the SoJ gambling, eh? "Hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability." (Agent Smith really makes the movie IMHO)

Going to miss your palaverous comments and abbr. BTW, you never did say what...
Quote:hibhpiafcf (and if you can get that one, I'll be amazed)
...meant.