Question RE: Frozen Orb Damage
My question is this: Can more than one ice bolt comming of an orb hit a single target, and if so is the listed damage per bolt that flies out of an orb or for the total maximum damage of the orb itself?

For example: If I shot an orb at a single monster (non-cold immune of course), would the damage the orb caused be that listed on the character screen or would it be what is listed on the character screen per ice bolt? If its the latter, numerous bolts can hit a single target, thus damage could be multiplied anywhere from 2-x times more? If this is so, any idea how many bolts (on average) hit a single target?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
The damage is per bolt that is fired from the orb. There is not restriction on how many of the bolts can actually hit and damage a monster. If you can get the orb do its final nova burst while inside a monster then the entire burst of bolts that is released would effect that target. Figuring the number of bolts that will end up hitting a target is a matter of positions and sizes of targets. I do not think anyone has tried to work out any exact numbers. Just watch and practice throwing th spell to see how to get good effect from it.

Also the orb itself (the moving ball) does no damage of its own and only serves to launch the bolts that actually do all the damage.
What exactly causes the orb to explode? I know that it goes a certain distance, and if it hits a wall (sometimes, it seems to just spin in place if it hits a wall... is this just desync?), but is there anything else that can cause it?
I tend to see the orb exploding at the end of my mouse click. For example, I click on a monster to orb it. The orb comes out and explodes at the END of my click (the bottom part of the orb at the end of my click). There also seems to be a MAXIMUM distance the orb can go before exploding. I have yet to try it against a wall.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Where you click doesn't actually have anything to do with it. The click just determines the direction of the orb. Regardless of how far in that direction you click, it'll still explode in the same location, after a fixed distance/time.
...or on certain types of collisons with objects (some terrain types).
According to what I read over on Sirian's site (which seems to be down, else I'd just link the proper page), FO's damage is per bolt, and the orb itself does the same amount of damage as each bolt, except that it goes through monsters instead of hitting them. Any number of bolts can hit the enemy, but while the orb is inside an enemy, more bolts will not shoot out. So, the best thing to do is to shoot the orb just off of the target's left shoulder to make for the most hits. Also that the range it goes before bursting is pre-set and can't be controlled by the player.

Of course, that information if from 1.06, and it may well have changed since then.
Bob the Beholder,Feb 1 2004, 12:30 AM Wrote:Of course, that information if from 1.06, and it may well have changed since then.
I'm quite sure it has.
I wouldn't be surprised, really. I've never used the skill myself, just read about it.
DeeBye,Feb 1 2004, 02:48 AM Wrote:I'm quite sure it has.
Not that much really. Since v1.00 the missiles FrozenOrbBolt (sent out while moving) and FrozenOrbNova (the group of bolts lauched at the explosion at the end) are the only ones that do the listed damage. The missile FrozenOrb (the moving ball) only serves to launch the other missiles and does not reference the damage done by the skill as the other two missiles do. Since there is almost alway one missile (FrozenOrbBolt) emerging from the FrozenOrb missile it can look like the ball itself is doing damage when in fact the damage is really coming from one of the emerging missiles.